gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1957 Gitane on Ebay Goto page Previous  1, 2
Patina 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Ed,

Over the years I've found that the bikes I've owned that are too pretty don't get ridden (by me).

I like a little "patina" - light scratches or chips in the paint, signs of normal wear and so on. I ride them without concern of getting them scratched or dirty. Any rust or corrosion that I can't clean up with light steel wool on any visible dents are unacceptable on any bike I would want to keep.

I'm pretty handy with a touch-up brush and I do a pretty good job of matching paint. Think of touch-up as camouflage. If it passes the 5 foot test then you've done a good job. Cool

Very few French bikes had the cosmetic finish of the better quality British or Italian frames. The French attitude was that bikes are meant to be ridden not looked at.

I like the rough edges on many French bikes, like the homespun look of Navajo silver and turquoise jewelery.

Enjoy your bike from 5 feet away and in the saddle. Wink

Chas.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
vanhelmont
It certainly does "ooze character," Picchio.

I've been looking at the ebay pics, and comparing to the earliest catalogue on the website, which is 1964. http://www.gitaneusa.com/catalogues01.asp
The transfers, as best I can tell from the b&w catalogue pics, seem similar to yours, some but not all having a contrasting color, perhaps the aluminized mylar, in the middle of the seat tube.
At least the Grand Prix on p. 3 has the detail on the end of the seat stay like yours. Visibility of this feature seems to depend on frame color.
The top three models have Campy dropouts. I'm guessing the other three have stamped dropouts, since forged dropouts of any kind would probably have been worth mentioning. Maybe in '63 they had a Campy-equipped model with stamped dropouts? Or the Campy parts were added later to a mid-level frame. All the catalogue bikes have mafac brakes, so it's likely some parts switching went on.
Anyway it's beautiful. I really like the Nervex lugs with windows.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Ed,

Welcome to the group.

Congratulations on your win and what a beautiful machine it is. It's such an eye catcher, you did very well.

Do let us know how it rides, it looks very comfortable.

Thank you for letting us know.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I like the blue brake levers. Cool

Chas.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quote
DP
Hey Ed, nice eye for a nice bike, if you've received it yet, tell us (or if you're shy, just me Cool ) whatcha think?

My thoughts: early-mid 60's closer to early, obviously a bike that was ridden long after it was built, and maintained...the Anquetil decal would have been a bike shop hand-out for its time like the Bob Roll cyclism stuff or even livestrong bracelets...say "promo" but nonetheless is quite cool I would love to have snagged this bike as the tall ones from early are tough to find!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote
Picchio
DP wrote:
Hey Ed, nice eye for a nice bike, if you've received it yet, tell us (or if you're shy, just me Cool ) whatcha think?

My thoughts: early-mid 60's closer to early, obviously a bike that was ridden long after it was built, and maintained...the Anquetil decal would have been a bike shop hand-out for its time like the Bob Roll cyclism stuff or even livestrong bracelets...say "promo" but nonetheless is quite cool I would love to have snagged this bike as the tall ones from early are tough to find!

Still waiting on the bike, but ETA is soonish. I will report fully once I have it in-house.

Ed Granger
Lancaster, PA, USA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote
Picchio
Bike arrived and I have done preliminary packing - it got here safely, though I'd give the packing about 7 out of 10 - the bars and stem could potentially have done some damage which fortunately appears not to have occurred. I'll take some pics ASAP - probably this weekend. Like the rear derailleur, the front is Campagnolo Gran Sport. The Ideale saddle is actually quite lovely, and is perforated and tied. The bar end plugs are Gaslo, crank is Nervar steel cottered, and rims are Altenberger marked 28 inch, which makes them 622 and equivalent to 700c, as would be expected in a French bike not intended for export to the US. The workmanship is decent if unspectacular (some shaping and thinning but hardly to death), but the overall effect is really cool and I think quite evocative. As I say, I'll get some pics taken as soon as I can so folks can judge for themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:52 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Can't wait. The more the better!

1957 Gitane on Ebay 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane