gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » eBay Super Corsa CAUTION!!!
eBay Super Corsa CAUTION!!! 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
If a list member has interest in the Green Super Corsa being offered, take note. The Brakes, Brake levers, Shift Levers, Stem, and Bars are WRONG/INCORRECT for this bike to be period correct. I'm gonna ignore the Saddle as being a personal preference.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
jischr
Did the Super Corsa ever have clamp-on shifters, clamp-on cable guides, or rear brake line running outside the top tube?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
jischr,
This bike likely was fitted with Mafac Competition CP Brakes originally, as indicated by the brake cable bridge on the rear seat stays. Suntour Superb brakes are much later (and not a bad choice for an upgrade). The Shift levers are NOT Campy 'Record' as the outer thumb screws and clamp are incorrect. Obviously the Stem and Bars are later additions too. My conclusion: Not a bad bike as is. Just refitted over the years.

I also note that seller has changed his opening bid and added a BIN...hummm???

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote
the70sbike
The downtube shifters are Gran Sport, definitely not correct for the bike. The frame looks to be in decent shape, and I like the color. Not my size, though!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
the70sbike wrote:
...The frame looks to be in decent shape, and I like the color. Not my size, though!

...The frame looks to be in decent shape, and I like the size. Not my color, though!

Dark green candy apple (flamboyant) seemed to be the most common Gitane color or maybe I disliked it sooo much that these bikes all stood out! Wink

It ranks below Bianchi sick room green (celeste) as my least favorite bike color! So now you know...

Chas. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
the70sbike
verktyg wrote:
the70sbike wrote:
...The frame looks to be in decent shape, and I like the color. Not my size, though!

...The frame looks to be in decent shape, and I like the size. Not my color, though!

Dark green candy apple (flamboyant) seemed to be the most common Gitane color or maybe I disliked it sooo much that these bikes all stood out! Wink

It ranks below Bianchi sick room green (celeste) as my least favorite bike color! So now you know...

Chas. Evil or Very Mad

The ones that turned me off were the orange and candy apple yellow. Pale blue doesn't do too much for me either. I liked the TdF in aqua (like mine), white and the green. I liked the fairly uncommon purple Gitanes, too.

I DO agree that Celeste is kind of a sick color.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
scozim
the70sbike wrote:
[

I DO agree that Celeste is kind of a sick color.

Ok, careful - some of us love celeste - just not on a Gitane. Very Happy

The green is not bad on the Super Corsa - but I think I'd prefer the orange. It's all in the eye of the behoder - right.

My favorite to date has got to be the metallic blue on the Gitanes - it just really catches your eye.

Scott

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Gitane colors 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Back in January I was fortunate enough to acquire an orange 1971 TdF and a medium blue Super Corsa along with a 1972 or 73 gold Super Corsa frame.

Here's the is the TdF as it looked when I bought it. The bike is completely original except for the the saddle and clinchers. I've since cleaned it up and installed a Brooks Pro and new cables.

This is the eBay photo of the blue Super Corsa. This saddle was thrown away and replaced with a Brooks Pro. I have a new set of Cyclomondo foil decals for it.

The gold Super Corsa frame. It also needs decals.

BTW, I have 3 celeste bikes. Two of them a more mylanta blue than sick room green. Laughing

I still don't like Gitane dark green (or purple either)!

Chas.
Re: Gitane colors 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:52 am Reply with quote
the70sbike
Viva la difference, I guess!

I had an orange Gran Sport De Luxe, purchased at a swap meet in the late 80's for $15, about all my budget could stand back then. I rode it here and there, eventually it rusted away in my side yard. It was pretty beaten down when I got it.

I have a Schwinn Paramount in Opaque Blue, not a color that would have been my first choice. It has grown on me, something that happened a little easier when I considered the time it was made. Back in those days, avocado green and yellow gold were the "in" colors for kitchen appliances, looking at it that way makes some of those bike colors not look so bad!

Either way, they look better than current bikes with decals and colors shouting for attention.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
verktyg
the70sbike wrote:
I had an orange Gran Sport De Luxe, purchased at a swap meet in the late 80's for $15, about all my budget could stand back then. I rode it here and there, eventually it rusted away in my side yard. It was pretty beaten down when I got it.

My first Gitane was also a pumpkin orange Gran Sport De Luxe, 1972 vintage. There was a recession in the US at the time and I couldn't make any decent money. I still had some GI Bill education money available so I went back to school at age 29.

I sold my car and bought that bike for transportation so that I wouldn't be tempted into going camping/fishing in the nearby NM mountains all the time. I think that I paid ~$75 USD plus sales tax at the time.

I was attending UNM in the day time and working nights and weekends as a truck mechanic. I got laid off from that job due to the economy so I took a part time job assembling bikes at the shop where I bought my Gitane.

I started taking short 5-10 miles rides all over town. Soon I was invited to go for a 25 mile ride out in the countryside - without toeclips and the instrument of torture called a stock Gitane saddle! My first change on the bike was to get a different saddle (it took me 2 years of experimenting before I found a Brooks Pro).

It was all downhill from there... Wink

the70sbike wrote:
Either way, they look better than current bikes with decals and colors shouting for attention.

....and the Gitane foil decals weren't shouting for attention? Laughing

Biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate (boPET) polyester film or Mylar was aluminized and used for 100' (30.5m) diameter Echo balloons launched into space in the early 60s.

http://tinyurl.com/3yltu4

Mylar foil was the hot ticket for decorating merchandise for a very brief period in the mid 60s.

But... the French cycling industry became infatuated with the stuff and used it for bike decals until about 1974-75 (the Jerry Lewis syndrome).

The foil decals were easily damaged and looked very ratty when torn which created a poor image for these French bikes. Many Gitanes were so poorly packed that we had to replace the seat tube and down tube decals before we could sell the bikes. Gitane's solution was to give us touch-up paint kits for all of their colors and unlimited amounts of the Gran Sport decals. Rolling Eyes

Chas. the arbiter of taste
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Picchio
verktyg wrote:

The foil decals were easily damaged and looked very ratty when torn which created a poor image for these French bikes. Many Gitanes were so poorly packed that we had to replace the seat tube and down tube decals before we could sell the bikes. Gitane's solution was to give us touch-up paint kits for all of their colors and unlimited amounts of the Gran Sport decals. Rolling Eyes

Chas. the arbiter of taste

Lest that is assumed to be a Gitane issue, my '68 Cinelli SC lacks down tube deals because Spence Wolf had them shipped that way - he'd add the decals ex-post-shipto, at the buyers request. Prior to that, too many decals were damaged in shipping. Many buyers didn't care, hence a bunch of ex-Cupertino bike shop SC's sans down tube decals.

Ed Granger
Lancaster, PA, USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
the70sbike
Quote:
the70sbike wrote:

....and the Gitane foil decals weren't shouting for attention? Laughing

Sure, but I like the Gitane ones!

Rolling Eyes
eBay Super Corsa CAUTION!!! 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane