gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Newbie intro and super corsa story
Newbie intro and super corsa story 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
kevdoyle
Just found this site , reading some of the threads and wanted to introduce myself. I'm a 50 + biker from the DC area. Was in the bike biz for the first few years of my working life. Was an aspiring racer for a while but gave it up when motorcycles and cars became a passion.

The thread that got me going was on the Super Corsa model. I bought one in 1969 from a local racer named Danny Wagner and rode it for six or seven years. I was told that it was one of the first all campy super corsas imported by Cycles and Sports in Arlington, VA. , Mel Pinto's shop. At least it was one of the first all campy bikes in the area that I can recall. Great bike, extremely agile with very little frame flex. After lots of miles I can recall doing the old foot on the BB test and the movement was negligible. BTW, I ended up working at Pinto's shop for a few months, he was a piece of work.

I've been looking for one to replace it, partly for nostalgia and because I'm riding more and miss the feel of the Gitane. This forum has helped me to remember some things and I'm still fuzzy on others. If anyone can help I'd love to confirm what a correct one would look like. I'm not terribly concerned about 100% originality but it'd be nice to get a real one.

Here's what I remember ( information deemed reliable but not guaranteed!). Bike was originally purple, I painted it in black lacquer when it got too chipped up. It had nervex pro lugs, chrome at the bottom of the fork and on the rear stays. It came with a record derailleur that I later changed out with a nuovo record. All campy group with high flange hubs, mavic rims, I believe. I can't recall but I believe that it had mafac center pulls that I later swapped for campy's. I used bar ends ( suntour). It had campy dropouts as well. Sadly I sold it with my Brooks B-17 swallowtail saddle, never found a better saddle since.

Any feedback/ info is appreciated.

Kevin
Annapolis MD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
PBR Streetgang
I can't help you with the specs, but welcome to the forum.
Newbie intro and super corsa story 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane