gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » intro and a bike for sale
intro and a bike for sale 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
David Welch
I'm long time cyclist who worked in a shop selling Gitanes (and Peugeots) at the peak of the early 70s French bike boom. Put together and sold a great many of them in those days.
And I want to sell one, though not sure it's quite original enough to suit many of the kind of folks who would be here. It's a blue Tour de France, 54 cm. This is my wife's bike, which we purchased new in 72 from Hazard's Cyclery in Santa Barbara, where I was working. She no longer rides a single bike, so we want to sell it.
Some items are still as original: Stronglight cranks (larger ring changed to a 48), pivo stem, Mafac competition brakes, Wheels (tipo hubs, Mavic championnat du monde rims), Christophe toe clips, Lapize straps. Atom freewheel, which I believe was the original brand though I think this is wider ratio than the original.
Other items were changed at time of purchase or soon after: Campi Nuovo Record Rear Derailleur, Ugly but functional early Shimano front, Campi downtube shifters, lyotard platform pedals (they are even older than the bike), Brooks Pro saddle, Laprade post. It has upright bars with basic levers. Unfortunately, the original levers are long gone.
Suzette is a lightweight rider and was never fast. She stopped riding singles for sport about 15 years ago, and this has been hanging in the garage ever since. The paint has a fair number of scratches and is significantly faded - easily seen where a reg sticker was pulled off and a pump holder removed. The chrome is fairly decent. I pulled it apart and cleaned and greased things. It's in Northern California and I can perhaps deliver or meet halfway within that region if you can be a little patient on timing. We are asking $250 for it. And I'll throw in a Stronglight crank tool!

Nice TdF 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
David,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice Bike BTW.

It was probably built in 1971 or earlier. It has long point "Italian style" Prugnat lugs, a Nervex or Wagner fork crown, old style Simplex rear dropouts and the rear brake cable stop bridge on the top of the seat stays. They changed these feature in later model TdFs.

$250 is a very fair price, too bad I'm all "biked out" for now... Crying or Very sad

Chas.
You could easily be right on the age 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:13 am Reply with quote
David Welch
It came to the shop in '72, but it would not surprise me if it hung around somewhere for a while after manufacture. My boss bought a very big load of TdFs and we were selling them for a while. They sold for about the same price as a Peugeot PX10, but with nicer hubs and brakes and many people thought they looked more appealing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
David,
I agree with Chas. that your asking price is quite fair. The Lyotard "Berthet" pedals alone have been averaging about $75.00/pair on eBay recently, to give you an idea.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
trials guy
Hello David; is your wife's TDF still for sale? I've come late to this thread... Thanks; John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
David Welch
It is actually - after that post I got involved with other things and haven't really done anything about attempting to sell it - it's sitting in our spare bedroom since I cleaned it up.
I'm in Chico, but come to the east bay fairly regularly for a monthly meeting I have there. You can call me at 530-566-2898 to discuss.
TDF for sale 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
trials guy
David; Any additional photos available? Does any work need to be done to make the bike rideable? Thanks.

Last edited by trials guy on Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Security Issues 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Hi guys,

I suggest that you edit your posts and remove any personal information like phone numbers and email addresses.

This Forum goes out onto the web and anyone can get your information.

You can use the Private Messages feature which is easy and secure.

Oh, and by the way, here's my Social Security Number, bank account and mother's maiden name:

Tm9ybSwKCgoKWW91ciBmcmllbmQgaXMgbm90IGZvcmV2ZXIgY3Vyc2VkISBUaGUgbGF0ZXIgbW9k
ZWwgbWV0YWwgU2ltcGxleCAKZGVyYWlsbGV1cnMgd29ya2VkIGFzIHdlbGwgYXMgYW55IHRoaW5n Laughing

BTW, is that a 50cm or 54cm frame? Gitane measured from center to top.

Chas.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:00 am Reply with quote
David Welch
Center to top, it's a 54
intro and a bike for sale 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane