gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Beating the modern bikes
Beating the modern bikes 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
scozim
I just had the wonderful experience this weekend of beating a lot of modern bikes with my 1984 Tour de France and I had a blast doing it. I had been training for this 17 mile race/ride that I haven't done in 25 yrs and have been planning on using the TdF for this ride for 9 months. The last 11K climbs almost 1850 feet. Did I mention I love hills.

I was curious to see how my 6 spd (13-26) downtube shifters would work in the lead group where all the bikes had modern brifters. Turned out it wasn't an issue I had no problem with shifting quickly and felt completely comfortable in the middle (and in the front) of the pack.

At one point as we're cruising along in the paceline I had a rider from the University of Idaho team say I was doing well. I told him "hey, mid-40's and a 25 yr old bike and I'll keep up with you." His reply was "I got you halved" (i.e. 21 yrs. old and a 10 yr old titanium bike). We both chuckled at that.

We hit the bottom of the hill and I was in 6th place and held it all the way to the top pretty easily, well there was a lot of pain involved also. I obviously have some work to do on the conditioning but overall was thrilled that my TdF performed so well.

The set up was:
**Suntour Blue Line derailleurs
**Regina Superlegerra alloy 13-26 freewheel
**Ofmega 52-42 cranks with Look Delta pedals
**Mavic Gel 280 tubular/Suntour Superbe hub with Continental Sprinter tubular
** Original Wolber Aspin tubular rim with Bontrager 270 gr tubular
** Modolo Speedy brakes
** Finally, the original Bernard Hinault Turbo saddle

Weight was right around 20 pounds and close to equalling my dad's 1991 titanium frame.

I'm already looking forward to the 30th anniversary of the ride next year and again taking the TdF.

I just had to share. A photo after the finish at the top is included.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
What a great story, thanks for sharing that. I am jealous that you can go up a hill...something I have never been able to do. I had a similar experience a few years back (when I was in racing shape). I rode my 1970 Gitane Super Corsa in the Tuesday Night criterium, and came 4the or 5th. Should have won, but missed a shift in the sprint, and came up just short. The picture of the finish was classic: a few bikes with Bladed spokes and fat tubes...and them some idiot (me) in a wool jersey with rat-trap pedals and a bottle hanging from his handlebars...all throwing bikes at the line. Just did that for kicks: I usually race on a brifter bike!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
I'm a little late to this one, but a super story. Thanks for the post.

There's a lot to be said for a race bike that's correctly set-up. Whatever the materials the bike is made from, it's always, always down to the rider. There's also a lot still to be said about steel, titanium, aluminium, magnesium, etc. Good to see the other guy on titanium.

For me and all of today's technology, I would be happy taking only ergo shifters. I've found huge benefits there over the down tube friction or index system. Changing when out of the saddle (as well as keeping both hands on the bars) has massive advantages for me that the down tube system just cannot equal.

20lbs is a great weight whatever the bike. You've got a cracking set-up there and I'm sure it's a dream to ride. Love the Krono levers, they are very special.

Tim

Last edited by Gtane on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I occasionally ride with some of the local Classic Rendezvous members. Some of these people were national class juniors and seniors back in the day. A few even rode in the peloton with Greg Lemond when he was a budding junior.

These folks including one of the women, riding their classic steel bikes can still chase down most modern hot dogs on their plastic bikes! Cool

Last fall, 2 of the hotter riders that still race showed up for a CR ride on their classic iron steeds. When these guys took off the front on the first hill, my riding buddy took off after them.

Later he said "They were climbing that hill at 29 MPH! It was all I could do to keep up with them!" Shocked

Those days are long gone for me. Cool

Chas.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:01 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Chas,

29mph is a fast pace on the flat and even as an average on the flat, let alone sprinting up hill. That would have been quite something. I tip my hat to those guys. Nice to have the opportunity to ride with them.

Having said what I said about ergo shifters, I very much enjoy using down tube levers (particularly non indexed) and knowing which gear I'm in without looking. It's actually a different type of riding and less stealthy to one's opponents when racing.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Gtane wrote:
29mph is a fast pace on the flat and even as an average on the flat, let alone sprinting up hill. That would have been quite something. I tip my hat to those guys. Nice to have the opportunity to ride with them.

Tim,

I didn't say that I rode with them, I said that I started off in the same group of riders they did. Shocked

Those 2 guys are still HOT in their mid 40s! They made a 25+ mile "social ride" into a training ride for themselves (until they got bored and took off on their own and the pace slowed down). Rolling Eyes

My riding buddy, feeling his mid life Ya Yas took off with them for a while (he's got a red convertible if that tells you anything plus he's buying a plastic Bianchi). Laughing

Chas.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Chas,

Thanks, although I did realise that you didn't actually do the fast climb but thought it great that you have the chance to ride/be in the same group with those guys. That's quite something. I too have left those days behind, not that they were even with me in the first place and the legs are not quite as elastic.

Tim

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane