gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Chainrings for 1984 Rallye
Chainrings for 1984 Rallye 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Karl
I purchased a new Rallye back in the early 80s and have been using it for recreational riding on and off over the years. I'm an experienced racer/touring cyclist and can easily "spin out" the 50/14 gears with a medium strength stoker on a dead flat, no wind, course.

Anyone know where I can get some bigger "big chainrings"?

This bike has a stock triple Stronglight crank on it now, with the original 5-speed cluster. I'm thinking I could fit a 7-speed cluster on there, but with a low 32 tooth gear, I won't be able to do much better than a 14 on the high end.
I have read the discussion between Verktyg and Eric... would like to try out a 60-tooth ring! Thanks, Karl.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
My suggestion would be first to look on Ebay. If that doesn't work, perhaps someone on the Classic Rendezvous list knows a source....

http://www.phred.org/mailman/listinfo/classicrendezvous

Stronglight 99 Cranks 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Greetings and welcome to the Forum...

It looks like you have Stronglight 99 cranks. You can find 52, 53 tooth and bigger chainrings regularly listed on eBay.

You might run into a problem with the length of your front derailleur cage if you try to use a chainring that's too big. For example, it may not be able to handle a jump from 32T to 60T.

Second issue, freewheels: What is the OLN (over lock nut) width of your rear axle - usually the same as the dropout width?

It's probably around 120mm for a 5 speed freewheel. Hubs designed for use with a standard width 6 speed or narrow 7 speed freewheel are 125mm, 126mm or wider.

You can find 13-32 6 speed Suntour "Ultra" or Narrow freewheels on eBay too. They'll work on most 5 speed hubs.

7 speed 12 or 13-32 freewheels are harder to come by and require at least a 126mm or wider hub.

I don't recommend playing around with rear axle widths on a tandem unless you REALLY know what you are doing, especially with a drum brake rear hub. You don't want to experience a broken rear axle at a critical moment. Shocked

Chas.
Chainrings for 1984 Rallye 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane