gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1983/84 Tour de France
1983/84 Tour de France 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quote
Edgeguy
I have a 1983/84 Tour de France bike in excellent condition. All original parts. I am wondering what its value is? I posted this question on bike forum and they suggested I ask here.

Here is a like to photos of the bike on bike forum.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=562655

Thanks for your help

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
scozim
The standard answer is whatever the market in your area is willing to pay. That said, yours looks like an '83. With it all original I'd say $250-400. I paid $400 for my all original TdF last year in the Seattle area - however, in hindsight, I overpaid because of the poor paint condition.

They're definitely awesome bikes. I love the feel and ride of Super Vitus frames.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Our resident estimator "lofter", who is usually dead on when predicting what bikes will/should sell for...should chime in here. But generally, ditto to the above post.

1983-84 Tour de France 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Greetings,

Your's is most likely a 1983 model TdF.

I bought two 1984 TdFs on eBay in the past year and a half. I paid $300 apiece plus shipping.

The first one probably had less than 50 miles on it. Someone upgraded the derailleurs to Campy Nuovo Record and the wheels have Mavic rims clinchers with Mavic hubs.

The next one has a lot more miles on it but it's all original except that the rims were changed to clinchers.

They're both 55cm (or 56cm) and along with my 1984 Gitane Super Corsa (which has the identical frame just painted blue) are some of my favorite riding bikes.

The bike is listed as being made with Super Vitus 971 tubing. These are light gage tubes, about the same as Columbus SL. Because of the size and thin wall tubings I'd recommend this for lighter weight riders only, maybe under 175 Lbs.

Anyone buying the bike to ride should figure on replacing the original Ofmega plastic derailleurs and shift levers with metal ones as 26 year old plastic tends to be brittle.

You received some reasonable responses in the BikeForum. I've seen a lot of responses concerning classic bikes that were submitted by opinionated individuals who were "P*ssin in Pampers" when these kinds of bikes were new. Same thing goes for a lot of bike shop wankers.

I'd put in on Denver craigstlist starting at $400 OBO (or best offer) and see what happens. It would save you from having to pack and ship the bike if it were sold on eBay.

Because it's a large size frame, there are fewer potential customers (also the state of the economy). I wouldn't take less than $275.

If it were my size though, I'd offer you $150! Wink

Good luck,

Chas.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:30 am Reply with quote
Edgeguy
Thanks for the responces it has really helped me out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
superstorm
Hello Everybody. This is my first post on this board. I just wanted to say I bought Edgeguy's Gitane today. While a teenie bit rough from sitting many years (dry rot tires and dried out Selle Italia Turbo), it is simply a gem in need of polishing. We settled a $300 for her and on the way to his house to pick it up, I ran across a new sealed pair of Ambrosio sew up wheels as well at a garage sale down the street from my home. A good weekend trolling craigslist and garage sales looking for the illusive French bombers we all love. My thanks again to edgeguy for letting another old fart cyclist take the helm of his Gitane. I'll post pixs after she has a bath and primping. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
superstorm,

Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your new find.

Chas.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
superstorm
Well over a year later she's all done. See the pix of her now!!

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane