gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Finally, a Super Corsa for Me Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Re: Campy "breaks" 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
verktyg wrote:

One last point, factory installed Campy brakes would have cost a whole lot less because the import duty for a complete bike would have been less than for individual components.

Chas.,
If this comment is in regard to my post about the Campy components, Note: I was referring to the French importing just parts from Italy and the High Duty they had to pay on them. It was not referring to their complete bikes coming into USA.

respectfully,
Jay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
greyhundguy wrote:
overfedlonghairedgnome wrote:
Thanks guys.
What gives away the likely age of the frame?

I would call it a '69-'70. Yours matches the 1970 Catalog. I'm pretty sure I bought my TdF in 1972 but some parts have 1971 date codes (see "Jay's 71-72 TdF Finished" in Owner Gallery) so therefore chose that dateline.

Jay and Jim, et al,

Bear in mind that these suggested dates I come up with (and just about anyone else when talking about classic bikes) unless documented with serial numbers etc. are no more than educated guesses.

Also as far as catalogs go, the 1970 Gitane catalog was used until 1973. They were hard to get from the importer Mel Pinto. Full color pictures were expensive to publish because of the cost of the photography plus the expense of the printing plates.

Even at the height of the Bike Boom there wasn't a lot of 'juice" in the bike trade for expensive advertising.

Printing plates were used over and over. Check out some old Pujoe, Motobecane and Raleigh catalogs.

I've only ever seen 1 or 2 Gitanes with foil covered head tubes in the flesh. They were repair bikes brought into our shop in the mid 70s. Judging from the components at the time they were from the late 60s.

I think that the SC pictured in the 1970 catalog is probably a 1967 to 1969 model based on the the willow leaf seat stay caps, rear brake bridge, flat top long point Vagner fork crown, foil head tube and plastic saddle. SCs usually came with Ideale 90 leather saddles.

The catalog was printed in the US so the picture may have been of an old bike Mel Pinto had on display and taken in Northern VA. Wink

Chas.

Last edited by verktyg on Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Re: Campy "breaks" 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
greyhundguy wrote:
verktyg wrote:

One last point, factory installed Campy brakes would have cost a whole lot less because the import duty for a complete bike would have been less than for individual components.

Chas.,
If this comment is in regard to my post about the Campy components, Note: I was referring to the French importing just parts from Italy and the High Duty they had to pay on them. It was not referring to their complete bikes coming into USA.

respectfully,
Jay

Maybe, maybe not... We used to get all of our Clement sewups from Andre Bertin/Milremo and they cost us less than half of what we would have paid for them direct from Clement here in the US. For example Campionato del Mundo Setas for ~$13 USD in the mid 70s.

Bertin at one time offered us Campy stuff cheap but we were pushing "all French" at the time so I don't remember if we ever took them up on their proposal.

US duty on most cycling components were certainly higher than for high end bikes.

Chas.

Last edited by verktyg on Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aging Gracefully 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
Quote:
I think that the SC pictured in the 1970 catalog is probably a 1967 to 1969 model based on the the willow leaf seat stay caps, rear brake bridge, flat top long point Vagner fork crown, foil head tube and plastic saddle. SCs usually came with Ideale 90 leather saddles.

All the radio stations are playing Woodstock this weekend so I'll go with '69 for the age. Maybe the paint should be "Aquarius", which would be close to Match Blue, I guess. I understand that there was alot of variation in color.

The Cyclomondo decals are ordered, including the French Reynolds 531 set.

Wheels at least initially will be Campy high flange and Arc-en-Ciel because I have those available. Saddle will be Turbo Hinault for riding on, cause I like those. Maybe an Ideale 90 will find its way into the pictures. Still not decided on bars and stem. I want one of the red, aluminum, and blue Zefal pumps.

Can't wait.

Jim

Woodstock 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I was hitchhiking across Canada at the time heading for Woodstock. I got pleasantly waylayed in Toronto and never made it there. Crying or Very sad

I had more fun though! Cool

Looking over the pictures in the 1970 Gitane catalog, for over 35 years I lived with the notion that they had been taken in France, especially the one of the Interclub with the cute young co-ed in the white knee socks looking up goo-goo eyed at the dude in the Gitane jersey! Twisted Evil

Now this picture could have been taken on the campus of École Normale Supérieure...

Looking closely at the other pics, they were probably taken around Northern VA. Jay recognize any of these places?

Chas. le Dom-Dom (affectionate diminutive for Dirty Old Man) Twisted Evil
Re: Woodstock 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
verktyg wrote:
Jay recognize any of these places?

Yeah, straighten the hair on him and reduce the bustline on her and it looks like me and a girlfriend back in College circa 1970. Seriously!

And, I remember the Bars in Georgetown we used to go to back then. Ahhh...those College days were fun.

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Jay,

That picture was definitely taken in California (or maybe OZ). That's a eucalyptus* tree behind the couple.

*eucalyptus, a giant invasive flammable water sucking weed that continuously sheds bark and leaves.

Eucalyptus trees were introduced into California from their native Australia by some ne'r-do-wells in the 1850s with the hope that the fast growing pests could provide wood for construction, furniture and railroad ties.

They also hoped the wood could be used in steam engines in river boats, train locomotives and stationary applications. Unfortunately the stuff is so oily that it twists and splits as it dries and the residue from burning clogs up steam boilers.

The cute little Australian koalas only eat a few varieties of eucalyptus trees and they don't grow in the states.

If pigeons are winged rats, what are eucalyptus trees?

Gimme some more plonk mate!

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote
antonyfromoz
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking on this forum for a while and wanted to introduce myself and let you know about a bike I have seen for sale in Norway (which is where I now reside). The bike is advertised as being a Super Corsa and I have no connection to the seller or any interest in the bike at all - I just thought it might be of interest to you all. The link is http://www.finn.no/finn/bap/object?finnkode=18594166. The bike is said to be original apart from the chain and the brake cables and has a full Campy Record groupset and a Reynolds 531 frame. The price of 3500 NOK would be about $560 US according to my trusty internet currency converter but the bike has been advertised a couple of times and the line at the bottom of advertisment states that the price is open for some negotiation for a quick sale. Alternatively there is also a Gitane tandem for sale at http://www.finn.no/finn/bap/object?finnkode=18234777 for 2500 NOK although there are no additional details given as to condition etc. If anyone needs some assistance with translating from the Norwegian then please let me know!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
verktyg
JEG oppfatte noe Svenske bortsett fra Norsk eh?

I looks like the site requires a sign in or the link is down.

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The California pictures were taken (I believe) at the University of California at San Diego (UCSD). In one of them, I think you can see the funky library.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
antonyfromoz
Hi all,

Sorry if the link did not work - the one with the tandem opened for me when I clicked on it but the other one didn't for some reason. The link is http://www.finn.no/finn/bap/object?finnkode=18594166 or try http://www.finn.no/finn/bap/object?finnkode=18081415 as the bike is listed on the site twice. As an alternative, if you are interested (or just have a bit of time on your hands), you can visit http://www.finn.no/finn/bap/result?CATEGORY/MAINCATEGORY=69&CATEGORY/SUBCATEGORY=3936 and type gitane in the box on the left hand side where it says "Ord i annonsen". I have tried to add a picture to this post which gives you some idea of the condition the bike is in.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Anthony,
That's a BIG Bike! Are Norwegians noted for being TALL? If it was 2-3 cm smaller, I would seriously consider it. Looks like 1974-1975ish for dateline by the decals. Might be a Super Olympic Model???

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
antonyfromoz
Hi Jay,

I don't know too many tall Norwegians - perhaps that is why the seller needed to put the advertisment on the site twice? The bike does look in good condition judging by the other photos though. Fortunately the fixie epidemic has not really taken off here yet - certainly on the west coast of Norway there are too many hills/mountains to make it appealing to the masses - but there is a vintage Pinarello advertised on the same site at the moment as being ideal for a fixie/single speed project...

Antony

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Antony,
I never thought about Norway having a 'LEFT' COAST like USA Wink

It is a nice Bike...just wish it was slightly smaller. The US $500+ price is not really out of line considering the condition, parts, etc.

A FIXIE for this would be a shame!!!

Regards,
Jay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
The California pictures were taken (I believe) at the University of California at San Diego (UCSD). In one of them, I think you can see the funky library.

From 1973 until this past weekend I had always assumed that the pictures were taken in France. Except for the cutie in the white socks I never paid much attention to the background, just the bikes. Shows my priorities. Wink

Chas.
Finally, a Super Corsa for Me 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane