gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Pics of the 1976 Gitane 600 Bicentennial
Pics of the 1976 Gitane 600 Bicentennial 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
dmcmdr
Hi there,
The bike shop took pictures of my bike after the clean up, tune up and few upgrades I added (new more woman friendly seat, new brake levers, new tires, bottle cages, computer, handle bar tape and end cap mirror). I love her and can hardly wait to start riding her. So ... introducing Betty Blue: http://www.bikes.msu.edu/photo_gallery/Deon-Claiborne-Gitane-600-mixte/index.html

And yeah, you can just call me Deon. dmcmdr is my email account nick Smile but I am a student, so I can't really afford anymore than a couple of vowels Wink

Deon
Lansing, Michigan

Gitane 600 Mixte 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Deon,

Nice work. Wink

Around 1977 I built up a similar bike for my niece and brother-in-law to ride. We had some bare Gitane frames in stock and I put together a green one for them.

Unfortunately last fall we had to move my brother-in-law to an assisted living facility. I had no convenient way to to get the bike from PA to CA so I had to donate it to a local charity back east. Crying or Very sad

It was still in mint condition like yours.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:48 am Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
Deon

She's a real beauty! I like the color coordination, down the the Pasela labels! Was the rack part of the original bike?

I am a little concerned for the speedo cable tied down across the decal on the RH fork. I wouldn't want to see the decal get ruined.

Are you ready for the 50 miler now?

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:29 am Reply with quote
dmcmdr
Jim,
I don't know if the rack was "original" original, but it was on the bike before my upgrades. I see what you mean about the tie down and the decal. I'll talk to my bike guy about it on Monday when I pick it up. Any suggestions on how to better secure it without messing up the decal? Ready for the 50mer? Ah, I don't know. My training has been haphazard at best, though I am dividing it up over two days of riding. I'm going to do a ride on Monday after I pick it up and then do Critical Mass on Friday and ride back and forth to school, so hopefully I'll be able to make it. I'm giving myself all day each day to make it, so I'll take as many breaks as needed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:59 am Reply with quote
scozim
I so love the blue/yellow combo on these Gitane bikes (it doesn't hurt that it's my high school team colors. Smile )

Enjoy your bike - it should get a lot of positive comments.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:27 am Reply with quote
dmcmdr
Hehehe. Actually, it's my college colors: Blue and Gold. I didn't realize that until you mentioned it (well, my undergrad college that is). Thanks. I am sooo looking forward to riding it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Deon,
It's real Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdy!!! Very striking color combination. Well done Gurrrl!

Jay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
I am sure you will do fine.

My suggestion for the cable would be to re-route it so that the cable goes on the other side of the fork and use tiedowns on both sides of the decal area. I'm sure your shop guy can do something.

Good luck! - Jim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Zach
I love Mixtes. Looks great.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Hey Deon. She looks great Cool . I hope you have some great times with her.
Just a thought though....... from the pics, it looks like the nose of the saddle is pretty high. You may find it more comfortable if you tilt it down a fraction. You don't want to be sliding off the front, but generally I have found that making the front 2/3 of the saddle level with the rear 1/3 a little higher works well with thickly padded saddles like yours. When you sit on it, the rear 1/3 compresses giving you a relatively level and well padded seat on the saddle. Anyway, just a thought...... find what works for you. Very Happy

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
What the??????? Sandman, the website is doing funny things again. I think someone has been fiddling with the limit sets again. Can you get the mechanico to look it over before someone shifts the rear derailleur into the back wheel, please? 'Cause I don't wanna hafta do that re-build, if ya know what I mean..... Wink

Delta Dreamin'
did the ride 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
dmcmdr
hi everyone,
I wanted to update everyone. I did my 50 miles for 50 years bike ride on my gitane 600. Since we did not calculate the mileage from the ferry (we did the ride in the Eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan) to the hotel for our overnight stay, I actually clocked a total mileage of 69 miles. The bike held up well, and was a joy to ride, though the lock nut on the bottom bracket started to come unscrewed. I was able to finish the ride and recently got that fixed.

I did have the nose of the seat lowered before I made the ride, thanks for the tip. Hope all is well with everyone.
Deon

Pics of the 1976 Gitane 600 Bicentennial 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane