gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » new member, old TDF, advice please
new member, old TDF, advice please 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote
gmany
I recently picked up this TDF in pretty rough shape with few original components.

If you look at the pics closely you can see multiple colors. There must have been some horrible paint accident because there are at least 4 colors with runs and drips. Then the previous owner sprayed the most offensive areas white, I suppose so they could ride it around w/o being too embarrassed. There is some rust where the downtube meets the bb and under the paint on the top bar. So I will repaint. Are there color swatches around or a page of avaiable colors? I know colors are shown in the scanned in catalogs, but they don't do the colors justice.

The stem is the recessed allen head style pivo.

This freewheel was unmounted. Is it the original? (only wear seems to be on the largest cog) The bike was wearing a schwinn approved french threaded rear hub with a wide ratio maeda freewheel and Campy gran tourismo rear deraileur. I also got an unused shimano freewheel with the bike.

These brakes were on the bike. Not the originals, but are they even period? (they seem to be campy copies)

Also shown is most of the original rear derailuer (unmounted) and a box of double butted spokes, I have no idea if they are the correct size for the wheels (bent "RigidAlu", rigida I guess, clincher rims)

Should I have the rims trued and rebuilt (once I get a campy rear hub) or would it be better to replace the rims with stronger double walled ones from VO? since the Rigida ones aren't original.

Also is there anyone in the Saint Louis area with a stronglight crank puller? Or does anyone know a shop in the area that has one? I'd hate to pay $55-$60 for a one-time use. I'm affraid that the bike shops will say they have the puller and damage my cranks with the wrong one.

I'd like to keep the bike period, but for rims and the bb I think I don't mind getting new compatible parts rather than lurking on e-bay and craigs list 24/7 to find parts and donor bikes.

I don't know if the pics will work... Thanks for any help and advice.

http://s676.photobucket.com/albums/vv129/gmanymiles/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Gmany, welcome to the site!

I don't know of any resource for colors.

The freewheels, hub, and derailleur probably aren't original. The TdF, being a racing model, would have come with a close ratio freewheel and Simplex derailleur. These were probably added to provide lower gears to help mortals climb hills.

It would also have come with MAFAC centerpull brakes. You have a bridge on the seat stays for the rear brake. Your levers are nice quality Dia Compe, and likely the calipers are too. I think you are right that they are Campy copies. MAFAC brakes are good stoppers (if they have good pads and are adjusted properly). Campy sidepulls were the thing to have, but were ridiculously expensive, so your bike's owner probably updated the bike. I couldn't put a date on the brakes you have, but probably a few years later than the bike. I guess late 70s or early 80s. MAFAC brakes are readily available on Ebay, or perhaps from a bike shop's junk box, if you want to get it period correct. I think your bike would have come with MAFAC Competition brakes. They are a little better made than the more common "racers" but a little harder to get and I think their cable is also hard to get. Both kinds look pretty similar.

If it was me, I'd use the VO rims and bottom bracket. Why reuse a bent rim? For the crank puller, I'd look for an old shop with an old mechanic who will at least know what Stonglight cranks are, and know if he has the tool for it or not.

Good luck with it!
new member, old TDF, advice please 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane