gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Summer Beer Goto page 1, 2  Next
Summer Beer 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Not really on topic...but on topic nonetheless. Just "discovered" a great wheat beer for summer: Hoegaarden. If it is hot where you are, go and buy a six pack of this, sit down, and enjoy. Don't add a lemon (to any wheat beer). It would ruin it...and is not the proper way to drink a wheat (weiss) beer anyways.

http://www.ab-inbev.com/go/brands/brand_portfolio/multi_country_brands/hoegaarden.cfm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:38 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Why didn't you post this last week when it was 99 degrees here.
This week it's cool and in the 70's.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:00 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Berliner Weisse (pronounced vice-a) is a sour white wheat beer (Weißbiere) served with a shot of raspberry syrup mixed in. Sounds disgusting but the blend of sour and sweet is quite nice.

Next thing we'll be talking about shandys... (For those of you from the the Commonwealth) Rolling Eyes

Then there's:

"The Radler ("cyclist") is a Biermischgetränk with a long history in German-speaking regions. Consisting of a 50%/50% or 60%/40% mixture of various types of beer and German-style soda pop, the invention of the Radler has been widely attributed to the Munich gastronomer Franz Xaver Kugler in 1922. However the recipe for the Radler had been mentioned as early as 1912. Nowadays the Radler is not just drunk only in Bavaria but across Germany and Austria. During the summer months, Radler is very popular there due to its reputation of being a thirst-quencher."

Chas. (where's my plunk?) Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:15 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Come Winter, watch for Samichlaus Bier (Austrian). It's only available once a year around the Holidays. This is one you can keep, as it gets better with age. Starts life at 14% ALC. so one is plenty 'cause it ain't cheap. About $19.00 a 4 Pack.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/285/776

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Berliner Weisse is getting almost impossible to find in Southern California. Even the local German delis don't carry it anymore. We made some the other day using the tartest weiss bier we could find, but it just wasn't the same.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
lofter
jusy say no to inbev Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Lofter...I am a Pabst drinker, but will, from time to time, drink foreign beers. I get that you are bitter than AB sold itself to inbev, but honestly, if they have a good product, I am going to drink it. That's what the beer is for!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
sandranian wrote:
Lofter...I am a Pabst drinker, but will, from time to time, drink foreign beers. I get that you are bitter than AB sold itself to inbev, but honestly, if they have a good product, I am going to drink it. That's what the beer is for!

I love this comment Sandman. Can I keep it? The ultimate utilitarian capitalist...... with an Aristotelian chaser, and all centred around BEER Cool ! (no judgement value attached)

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
lofter
sandranian wrote:

im a die hard bud drinker if i drink beer , they had to do a hostile takeover just to aquire it .lots of tradition around here "ie" st lou ,they (inbev) just dont get it probably never will . im a kentucky bourbon drinker , jim beam is my pick of poison.nothin like the taste of good american bourbon.hopefully they wil never sell out . im not dogging u on ur taste just the sellout of a great icon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Beam???!!!!!! Oh goodness. I thought it was a capital offence not to drink JD in the States?

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:17 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Strange that now Pabst is, once again, the largest "American" brewer of beer. They were the biggest 100 years ago (until prohibition), and with the sale of AB, they are again. The original brewery is now being converted into a condo/office park in Milwaukee. When I was in law school, I would every now and again make the trip from Chicago to the brewery...take the tour...and just enjoy Pabst near its birthplace. Schlitz was already closed down and made into an office park (what a beautiful brewery that was, by the way), and Blatz was condos already. Miller is sh*t, so I didn't care about that that crap....

I never have been to the AB brewery. It looks beautiful, but AB was always so big, it lacked the allure of the Milwaukee brewers (to me).

IC Since 1861 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Built in 1866 and still going strong!

My grandfather trained as a cabinet maker in Europe. When he first came to the US in the late 1800s he worked as a cooper (barrel maker) at AB in St. Louis for a while. He then moved to Cleveland and finally settled in Pittsburgh - a "reverse commute" of sorts - traveling from west to east. Cool

He worked as a cooper at Eberhardt and Ober, a small brewery in Pgh. until the Volstead Act put him out of work in January, 1920. The old brewery buildings remained vacant from Prohibition until 1986 when the Penn Brewery opened there. Unlike most microbreweries in the US which make English ale styles Penn Brewery produce genuine German style beers which are quite good. German food too!

http://www.pennbrew.com/index.html

Chas. Where's my plunk!

Last edited by verktyg on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Great pic, chas. That is one brewery I have never been to. Actually, there are a lot that I haven't visited, but I have visited more than most...never been to Pittsburgh.

I know the Iron City distributor in So Cal. I drink it from time to time, but I have a weird feeling that it is some type of micro-brew thing now. I may be wrong about that. I hope it is still all brewed in Pitt.

***********UPDATE****************
Iconic Pittsburgh brewery moving operations

Sunday, June 21, 2009

By Dan Nephin, Associated Press

PITTSBURGH — After nearly 150 years, Iron City beer will no longer be brewed in the Steel City.

Iron City Brewing Co. will brew its last batch in Pittsburgh the week of June 22, President Tim Hickman said Thursday. Afterward, production will move to City Brewing Co.'s Latrobe facility.

The company must move to survive, said Hickman, who's been president since the brewery emerged from its latest bankruptcy two years ago.

The Pittsburgh location needed new a canning line, estimated at $2 million, but when the company began looking at upgrades to modernize the aging brewery, costs increased another $12 million to $15 million, Hickman said.

"That's not sustainable in today's environment," he said.

Headquarters will remain in Pittsburgh, as will some warehousing operations, he said. The company also makes IC Light and Augustiner.

Iron City will continue to maintain a strong regional presence, Hickman said, noting Latrobe is just 40 miles east of Pittsburgh and where the Steelers hold training camp.

"We figured, hey, if it's good enough for the Steelers, it's gotta be good enough for Iron City," Hickman said. He added that the brewery is still committed to western Pennsylvania.

Ken Ream, of the International Union of Electrical Workers-Communications Workers of America, which has two locals at the brewery employing about 50 workers, called the move a tragedy. The unions approved major concessions two years ago to keep the brewery afloat, he said.

While Hickman said City Brewing has the same locals and he hoped Iron City workers would get jobs there, it's not clear how many current employees will be needed. The companies have different labor agreements and seniority lists, Ream said.

Rick Faust, manager of The Original Oyster House in downtown Pittsburgh, had mixed feelings. The restaurant offers Iron City's three beers on draft and they account for the majority of its draft sales.

"We've been here since 1870," he said. "Two Pittsburgh things that kind of went together were fish and beer."

He said moving to Latrobe was a better option than the brewery closing down completely.

Iron City will become City Brewing Co.'s anchor tenant, Hickman said. City Brewing Co., of La Crosse, Wis., bought the facility three years ago after its former owner sold off the Rolling Rock brand.

Hickman declined to say what Iron City will pay under the deal. It's in place until 2012, with options for three-year leases afterward.

A message left for George Parke III, CEO of City Brewing, was not immediately returned.

City Brewing has a capacity of about 1 million barrels annually at Latrobe while Iron City has a capacity of about 171,000. Hickman said Iron City needs to brew about 250,000 barrels to be profitable. A barrel, the beer industry's standard unit of measurement, equals 31 gallons.

The new site will also be more efficient, he said.

Pittsburgh Brewing Co., the predecessor to Iron City Brewing, sought bankruptcy protection in 2005 after the city Water and Sewer Authority threatened to cut off its water supply because of unpaid bills.

Iron City Brewing is owned by a team of investors led by Unified Growth Partners, a private equity firm in Greenwich, Conn., led by John N. Milne. That's the name the brewery had when it was created in 1861.

URL: http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2009/06/21/business/doc4a3df8ed59381703615415.prt

© 2009 delcotimes.com, a Journal Register Property

Rolling Rock - Rock'n Roll 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Stephan,

Thanks for the note on IC. It's too bad they're moving but Latrobe is a really nice place at the base of the western slope of the Appalachian Mountains.

Latrobe Brewing Company made Rolling Rock beer there for many years. We called it Rock'n Roll. It was a mild beer that came in small 7 oz. cans and bottles and was a favorite of the laddies.

The company City Brewing that bought out RR changed the recipe and it was never the same! Evil or Very Mad

Check my previous message, I added some things.

Chas. gimme a nother beer osifer!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I've always liked the concept of Rolling Rock, but never the product itself. I don't think it tastes good at all.

Summer Beer 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane