gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Looking for Information on the late 60's- early 70's Gitane Goto page 1, 2  Next
Looking for Information on the late 60's- early 70's Gitane 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
edorwart
First let me say I am so glad this forum is here, but I have spent all day so far reading post!

I have just aquired this bicycle from a family member who believes he bought it used around 1970 - 1971. I am trying to get a little information on it as I am planning on "fixing" it up. Which means I am not sure if I am just going to make it road worthy or do a full restoration on it and I guess that will depend on if it is the kind of bike that would be worth restoring.

I have a few detailed pictures posted here:

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/edorwart/images

The brakes and brake levers say "Mafac Racer"

Stem is "Pivo"

Shifters and rear derailleur say "Sun Tour" R.D. also has "4532"

Chain rings are 52 / 36 with a little stamp of a man riding a bike and crank arms say "Solida"

Front Derail says "simplex"

Front wheel says "Rigida Superchromix" - made in france. Rear wheel is Japenese I do not think it is original but I think the original wheel is in this persons garage.

and there is a faint sticker on the drive side chainstay that reads - i think, but sure is not right - "email luxepodimerise" this is obviously not an email address as this bike has not ben riden in 20+- years.

Any help wwould be greatly appreciated.

Erik

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
You have an early 1970's Gitane "Gran Sport" (sometimes called the Grand Sport or Grand Sport Deluxe). The GS was an entry level bicycle, really designed for commuters and students as opposed to racing. Here is a picture of it as it appeared in the US catalogue:

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1970_pg2.jpg

The decal on the chain stay refers to the paint finish, which Gitane touted as something special...which it really was not! Hilarious, eh? Anyhow...regarding your plans on a restoration, I would first say that any old bike is worth restoring or "fixing up". But what you spend on it is completely up to you. Your bike appears to be in very good condition for its age. It will probably only need some minor rust removal, which can be done with either a soak in rust remover or with copper wool, both of which are cheap and available at your local hardware store. It may need new cables, tubes, chain, and tires, all of which are affordable and easy to get at your local bike shop. The one thing I would recommend replacing before you ride it as well is the plastic saddle, which are horrible and will instantly make you hate your bike...so get something that isn't made entirely of plastic! A word of warning though: Just because a saddle feels or looks comfy, it doesn't mean that it is, so I would ask at your local bike shop or here what type of saddle would work. If you want to invest in a great saddle, something from Brooks would look great and is very nice. They are a bit pricey though (around $70 - http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/SD_BROOKS_B17_STD.html?action=currency&id=USD), but well worth the investment.

Otherwise, that bike looks pretty much ready to go, and should be able to be restored for under $200 (including the Brooks B17 saddle!).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:21 am Reply with quote
edorwart
Thank you for the information. I figured a lot out about the bike in the past 2 days.

I am quite familiar with moden bikes as I have a Cervelo SLC-SL that I built myself and ride @ 3,000 miles per year.

I have done 2 classic car restoration so this bike is going to be a "test project" for me, fix it up real nice and learn a few things on not a big $ classic then maybe try may had at restoring something that is collectable.

I have the bike completely disassemeble at this point and have ordered new tires, chain and brake pads. The grease in the bearing had turned to clay. Its pretty amazing how the chrome come up with a nice patina after rubbing down with 0000 steel wool!

The one thing I am not so sure about is the cables? Can I use moden cable sets from Jagwire or Gore? I think the cable and housing diameters shoul dbe the same but I am not sure of the cable ends.

I will look into the Brooks saddle as yes they are classic pieces and works of art, the $70 does not bother me, if you only knew how much I have spent building the Cervelo!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:32 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Regarding the costs...I completely understand about the new stuff. I am just wondering when things are "going to give"...it keeps on getting more and more expensive! I am getting a new frame next year, and was considering moving from Shimano Dura Ace over to Campagnolo (I don't like the new Shimano stuff). The costs are crazy though, and I would have to change out my racing wheels (the hub case) as well, and get new cassettes...ugh!

I have never experienced any problems using modern cables with the old stuff. I would not recommend getting anything too "expensive" or technically superior (i.e. Dura Ace cables). The standard stuff works very well on the old bikes, and there doesn't appear to be any problem with the diameter of the cables.

On the front derailleur, Simplex used a product they called "Delrin"...which as a fancy word for "plastic"! It tends to fade...so I have used a product called "back to black" which is available at auto parts stores, which has brought it back to its original color, albeit temporarily (it has to be reapplied every so often). That bike probably originally came with a Simplex "Prestige" rear derailleur as well. They are available (if you are interested) on ebay for very cheap almost all the time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SIMPLEX-PRESTIGE-BICYCLE-HANGER-REAR-DERAILLEUR_W0QQitemZ390096057104QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5ad3897310&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:38 am Reply with quote
edorwart
Thanks for the cable info. I will most likely spend 3-4 times what the bike is worth fixing it up, but it belonged to a relative of mine and he owned it since 1971, plusI enjoy restoring things, and if I dont do my best the I am disapponted!

I will be sure to post pictures when it is done!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:13 am Reply with quote
edorwart
Is the driveside bottom bracket left or right hand tread - clockwise or anti-clockwise to remove?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The drive-side cup (called the "fixed" cup...the other side is called the "adjustable cup") should be standard-threaded. In other words, turning to the right will tighten it, and turning to the left will loosen it.

Normally, the fixed cup is reverse threaded to prevent it from working itself loose. But French threaded parts/bikes used standard direction threading for the fixed cup. Because of this, they sometimes worked themselves loose (because the bearings actually work to unscrew the cup), so some mechanics used to use thread lock to "glue" them in. In most cases, they were just screwed in VERY tightly.

So if you are having problems working it out, just have patience...soak it well (i.e. for 24 hrs. in WD40 or some other loosener which won't affect the paint), and then place the cup itself in a vice which is mounted to a work desk. Use the frame as leverage to loosen the cup. That is the best way I have found to take them out, and does the absolute least amount of damage to any of the parts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote
edorwart
sounds good, yeah I figured it would normally be reverse threaded but these French bikes seem to do a few things different!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Another option is to leave the fixed cup in the frame and just clean and repack the bearings without removing the cup. You aren't painting the frame, so it seems like removing it might be more of a headache than its worth.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
edorwart
sandranian wrote:
Another option is to leave the fixed cup in the frame and just clean and repack the bearings without removing the cup. You aren't painting the frame, so it seems like removing it might be more of a headache than its worth.

well, I might be painting the frame............ That all depends on when the guy is Australia get back to me on decal options.......

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
EEEK! Don't do that! I know it's your frame and all, but that thing appears to be in great shape! Some polish would really help it out, but a complete paint job??? That is crazy talk!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
sandranian wrote:
EEEK! Don't do that! I know it's your frame and all, but that thing appears to be in great shape! Some polish would really help it out, but a complete paint job??? That is crazy talk!

Uh,sandman, we all love crappy old gitanes, remember? I think "crazy" pretty well describes everything written on this site Wink

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
edorwart
You were right the fixed side is standard "lefty loosey" to get it out, its out.

Its all coming together now, err, coming apart now.

Did the Mafac Brake levers have any kind of hood in this vintage @ 1970 or are the one I see with rubber hoods from later years, it's kind of hard to tell in the old catalog photos.

Erik

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
There was a "half hood" which just covered the top of the lever. There are some on ebay. The standard color was white. I have never seen the other colors on any bikes....

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAFAC-PAIR-LEVERS-HOODS-WHITE-NOS_W0QQitemZ160364618404QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item255679e2a4&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Erik,
If you are serious about refurbishing this bike, I will donate a pair of the Mafac white rubber 1/2 hoods for the project. They are NOS with some minor irregularities. Years of life left in them.
THE RULES of this offer:
1. You must post photos of the finished Bike showing the Hoods on this site.
2. Contact me by Private Message with your shipping info.

If RULE #1 is not followed, the Bike GODS will seek you out, cut all your new cables and slash the tires Wink

Jay

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane