gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Wheel question/request regarding 1973 TDF
Wheel question/request regarding 1973 TDF 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
trials guy
Took my new TDF into the shop several days ago to have them true up the wheels and got the word that they are beyond repair. The Campy hi-flange hubs are fine, but the rims are apparently slightly bent and some nipples are rusted and frozen. The shop offered the option of rebuilding a new set of wheels around the old hubs (pricey!). I have two questions; if I rebuild, does anyone have a recommendation for clincher rims that work well with Mafac brakes? Or would I do better to simply look for a vintage set of wheels in better shape than the ones I have? If I go this route, does anyone have a set of wheels that are correct for this year TDF that they would be willing to sell? I'd really like to keep this bike as stock and correct as possible... Thanks for any help on this. John
New Wheels or Rebuilds 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
John,

Finding a GOOD set of period correct wheels is like finding a good used car. Most of those wheels are going to be 20-30 years old and may have the some of the same problems as your old wheels.

If the bearing cups in your hubs are OK then rebuilding those hubs is not too much of a problem as cones are still available.

New stainless steel spokes and new rims should last for years. Don't let some zoomie fool talk you into aluminum alloy spoke nipples.

I prefer 4 cross spoking which was pretty standard on 1970s bikes. I also like 14-15 gage butted spokes in the front and 14 gage strait in the rear.

Wheel building labor $25-$50 each
72 SS Spokes $0.35 to $1.25 each
Rims $25 to ~~~ each.

I have a set of wheels with Sun CR18 700c polished alloy rims that look old school. They're not not too expensive either. Some zoomies might badmouth this brand but I did some research and they seem OK. I think that they're US made too.

Most of the bad press has come from MTBers and you have to take what most of them say with a grain of salt! Rolling Eyes

No brains - no pains!

Sun is showing the black rims in this link but they come in silver too as on my bike below.

http://www.sun-ringle.com/contentpages/road/rims.php5

Remember, when you walk into a bike shop and say the word French and see a deer in the headlights look or their eyes glaze over, slowly back out the door without turning you back to them and as Monty Python would say... "RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!" Shocked

PS: On last thing, a Park spoke wrench is cheap. Since the rims are shot, put some penetrating oil on both sides of the nipples, let it soak in and try your hand at wheel truing yourself. What's the worst you can do? It the flats are striped then use Visegrips.

Chas. Retro grouch Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Araya also do high quality polished alloy rims with eyelets. Peel off the stickers & most people will think they are old mavics. Don't listen to Chas' grumpy old man rumblings, 2x front, rear off side 2x & rear drive side 3x. Tie & solder & you will have awsome set of tight race wheels. Wink 4x is for old farts too busy chasing skirt at the retirement village Twisted Evil

Delta Dreamin'
74 TdF Frame 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
The price just went up! Evil or Very Mad

I like 4x spoking because it gives a little smoother ride, especially with high flange hubs.

32 hole rims were designed to save mucho $$$ and time which is $$$. In my ignorant state, several years ago I built a 4x 32 spoke wheel with a low flange hub. It can be done but not a job for the limp wristed! Razz

Low spoke count wheels keep rim and wheel manufacturers in business! Laughing

Chas.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
You are of course correct, but I just love fly fishing! Laughing Catch you later old man Trout, I'm sitting on the back deck of a resort, looking out over the Pacific ocean at Cabarita beach, drinking d'Arenberg Laughing Magpie, getting ready to fire up the BBQ. Cool

Delta Dreamin'
NSW 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
verktyg
So you're about 200km south of Brisy in Far North NSW drinkin spendy plunk.

I thought you were a starving student. Are you taking any surfing lessons?

Just sit tight, I'll be over in a few days...

Chas.
TDF wheels 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
trials guy
Smile Picked up my bike today after having been told that the wheels were basically toast and apparently there had been some miscommunication and, wonder of wonders, they were fine! Much better than they were when i took it in; just a little bit of a flat spot on the front where too many potholes had been encountered in the past. Not perfect, but plenty good enough to ride. Very happy! Very Happy
Wheels trued up 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
John,

That's great news. Those wheels may have been built before the bike shop guys dads met their moms! Shocked

Old rims were rarely round even out of the box! Confused

Some of the new rims are so round and true before being laced you should get a discount!

Chas.
Wheel question/request regarding 1973 TDF 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane