gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Super Corsa on Ebay- Fact or fiction?
Super Corsa on Ebay- Fact or fiction? 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote
kevdoyle
Ok I've been looking for an SC for a while. Raced in the early '70's on one and midlife crisis has me wanting to go back there ( in spirit not in stamina).

Saw this one and started to get excited until I saw the price ( starting at $999), shipping($150) and condition, i.e. mismatched front wheel, front fork and brake levers.....

Am I out of touch or is this seller? I don't mind paying for a good one but this seems over the top based on the few I've seen since I started looking. I know that the rarity makes 'comps" hard to find but still!

A reality check from a knowledgeable member will be appreciated.

Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Kevin,
I started to look...then stopped after seeing the fork, front hub and rim have been replaced. Then, a new powder coat...Hummmm...wonder why???

Many Super Corsa's have been stripped of the desirable early Campy components over the years. That's about all this one has going for it in my opinion.

I think seller is being extremely aggressive in pricing this one seeing that there are so many things lacking from the original configuration.

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Just so everyone knows what we're taking about:

http://tinyurl.com/ybkdd9t

I agree with Jay on this one. I've seen fixie fools pay WAAAAY too much for a classic bike to butcher but this one's a little over the top in my opinion.

Reasons:

1. First off, I'm always suspicious of an otherwise good bike with a mismatched fork. Why was the fork replaced?

2. Same thing for a new front wheel and fork combo. How fast was the rider going when he tried to mate with a car? Embarassed

3. New paint hides a multitude of sins (especially powder coat).

4. Other things that subtract from the value of an "all Campy" bike: Shimano front hub and Dia Compe 204 Brake Levers with Mafac Competition brakes.

Back in January I bought a truly "full" Campy 1972 Super Corsa with Campy brakes on eBay for $617.00 (plus local pickup too). It came with 2 sets of Campy hubbed wheels!

I just watched a very nice Andre Bertin go for $300 on the second listing - should have sold for $500-$600.

There are some rare or high end cycling items that are bringing phenomenal prices but due to the current economy, it's a buyer's market for most things on eBay.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
kevdoyle
The fork and radial spoked front made me wonder as well. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in thinking this was less than a fair deal. My old SC had a few mods but still an original untweaked frame and fork. Anything less is a non starter as far as I'm concerned.

I'll keep my eyes open for another and try to out muscle/spend Chas next time! In the meantime if anyone decides to let one go or hears of one needing a good home please think of me. I need a 56-60 cm frame.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Kevin
Super Corsa on Ebay- Fact or fiction? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane