gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Red Gitane "Replica"...San Diego
Red Gitane "Replica"...San Diego 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
A while back, a member in San Diego posted pics of a "team pro" gitane with Reynolds 531P tubing and campagnolo dropouts. Well...there is now one available on Ebay (but in France). It is NOS, and appears to be just like that one. It is called a Vainquer. Here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GITANE-VAINQUEUR-FRAME-FORK-531-PROFESSIONAL-NEW_W0QQitemZ140351616131QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20ad9bb483

I looked in the catalogues that I have, and found this:

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/f1988_pg2.jpg

The interesting thing is that the catalogue lists the Vainquer as using Reynolds 501, not 531P, and does not show a number tab. I doubt that they would have used Campagnolo dropouts with a 501 frameset. ODD ODD ODD!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn

S.A.,
Definitely. However, the U.S. version (Vainqueur) is listed as a 531 model. The picture shown looks to be identical to said model in the 1988 U.S. catalogue. It was a great velo. I came close on this one, but waited until 1990 for my last steel Gitane.
Peter H.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
But the 1988 one in the US catalogue is 531c, not 531p. You are right though, the US catalogue's Vainquer is much closer. I cannot see if it comes with a number tab or not. I will look at home to see if you can see it in the original catalogue.

It appears that they just took the "Exploit", painted it red, and sold them as the "Vainquer". Makes you wonder about the pricing, and if that isn't part of the explanation for the financial difficulties experienced by the firm.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn

Right, 531C. Checking the '88 catalogue (U.S.), the picture (of the Vainqueur) is pretty small. It is hard to tell re a number bracket. However, I had the predecessor of this model ('87 Inter/Campag.), and believe that the frameset (except for the color choices, there was no red for that year) was, essentially, identical to the later Vainqueur. Mine had the number bracket brazed on.

I would doubt that the Exploit (531P) would have the same frameset (except for the color choices) as the Vainqueur. Again, it is hard to tell, but I believe that the cable guides for the Vainqueur enter (and exit) the upper portion of the top tube (as was the case for my '87). The entrance and exits for the brake cables on the Exploit and Team Replica were on the bottom portions of the top tube.
Peter H.
1990 Replica 11
1999 Altec 11
2010 "The One" or XL (thanks Nicolas) in the works.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The 1987 Inter used 531C and Vitus dropouts, not Campagnolo. Campy was used on the 1987 Team Pro, along with 531P. You are right, though, it did have the number peg.

The Vainquer in the ebay listing has campagnolo dropouts and the side entry cables (not top). I think they are on the side in the 1988 catalogue pic as well, although they are hard to see.

You are getting a 2010? I want one too. Can't wait for the catalogue!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn

You are correct. That model is, obviously, a 531P frameset (the '88 U.S. Vainqueur being 531C), with lower or side cable entry and exits and with Campag. dropouts; therefore probably not a U.S. model! The '88 U.S. catalogue does not stipulate (for the Vainqueur) as to the dropouts, as far as I can tell. My '87 had Vitus dropouts. No sense in guessing (re the dropouts, etc. on the U.S. '88 Vainqueur, and being wrong)! If the velo in question was a complete bike (where could I get an '88 or so S.R., etc. groupset?), and my size (57-58cm. top and seat tubes), I would have sought to obtain it in no time.

Re the 2010's; I realize that some of our members do not care for the modern Gitanes, but I like them all. I am also awaiting the new catalogue. Nothing new has been posted on the Gitane website as of today. Like you, I'm planning on a 2010. Perhaps you will be able to obtain a sponsorship! As for yours truly, that will be two big jolts; one for the frameset; the next one for a Record or S.R. groupset, plus ITM or TTT bar and stem (with Cinelli bar tape), Campag. wheels, etc. There goes the Cayman S; (that is not a serious statement, as I cannot come within a mile of affording one)!
Peter H.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The sponsorship which we are pursuing wouldn't, of course, include Gitane bikes. Instead, it would be another brand...which I am not so happy about, but would appreciate free bikes. Otherwise, I will have to purchase a new Gitane frameset, as my 2006 is starting to "get old".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
tjchad
WOW!! That ebay frame looks very much like mine! Mine has the 531P decal in French but it's on the bottom of the seat tube... Mine is also red and has the same decals. Mine does have the number plate tab and Campy dropouts. The cable routing in/outs on my top tube are along the bottom of the TT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I can't remember (and cannot find the post)...did yours have the "fade" paint job as well?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn

MAN! I was just coming around to thinking that Stephan (in his original post) was right after all; i.e. that this, possibly, French domestic 531P Vainqueur with Campag. dropouts was, except for the red (rather than white) color scheme, close to identical to the 1988 U.S. Exploit. This, indeed, appears to me to be the case.

The question would seem to be: What year and for what market was this Vainqueuer (that is, the e-bay bike) produced? Now, with Chad having a like model, perhaps he knows the history of this most interesting velo!
Peter H.
1990 Replica 11
1999 F.D.J. Team Replica
2010 "The One" or XL (Merci, Nicolas!) in the works

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:36 am Reply with quote
tjchad
Mine has some paint spray on it but I wouldn't call it a "fade" paint scheme. It's just some overspray from something else being painted nearby. It actually comes right off with a little elbow grease.

Here's a link to my original post asking you guys what I have:

http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=988&highlight=

there are plenty of pics if you look at all three pages of the thread.

I just finished moving all the Ultegra and Dura Ace components to it and will post up some pics once I'm dialed in and happy.

Red Gitane "Replica"...San Diego 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane