gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Bad idea??

Braze or not to braze?
Go ahead, its your bike, what do I care.
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
OMG, I hope you burn in hell for even considering it.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

Bad idea?? 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
jischr
I'm probably going to send my 84 Super Corsa frame out for a three color paint job, maybe something similar to Colnago's team Mapei without the details. Anyway I was considerig having a FD mount brazed on at the same time. Would that be too confusing for y'all when it comes time for my kids to sell the bike? Would they be better off just trashing the bike cause its no longer original?
84 Super Corsa 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I have an 84 Super Corsa (plus 3 Colnagos). It's become my favorite riding bike. I have it somewhat equipped like the team bikes from the era. When I ride it in the vicinity of the posers, body shapers and other hammer head cyclists, it still turns heads (eek! what IS that thing?). Twisted Evil

If you are going to commit sacrilege, don't forget the "man in the boat" painted on the top tube so it will look like a real poser bike! Rolling Eyes (you have to understand, Gitanes are bikes of the working class)

This color combo isn't too bad but still...

My riding buddy wont go out with me if I take out the pink and yellow Miami Vice Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert...

The radar array on the front was the first thing to go when I got it ($60 less wheels, what can I say?).

Now here's a REAL MAN's bike:

Classic French racing Blue with yellow trim.... Wink

As far as the brazeon front derailleur attachment, they were never more than an affectation that lasted too long. Confused

I have them on several bikes and they can be a pain to adjust plus some styles flex on hard shifts. I wouldn't recommend them because you are limiting yourself on chainring and derailleur choices.

I've been trying to set up a 50-40-30 triple crankset on a late 80s Bianchi with a brazeon front derailleur mount and I can't find a front derailleur that works well with a triple on that bike. I had to file the hole in the adjustment slot 10mm to get the derailleur low enough to work on the small chainring! When you get long in the tooth like me you wont want to be pushing 53-39T chainrings either!

Chas. the resident retrogrouch! Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
In my opinion, paint jobs which become necessary to preserve are one thing. Once you start welding stuff to the frameset...that is quite another. I completely understand the necessity of braze on front derailleur mounts on carbon bikes, but on steel? No real purpose there. Just my opinion though....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quote
tjchad
I like the added chrome or polished look with the front der. clamp- adds a little bit of old school class...

Bad idea?? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane