gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » New Catalogues Posted to Gitane USA...courtesy of Lofter!
New Catalogues Posted to Gitane USA...courtesy of Lofter! 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Thanks for the scans and the donations Lofter! Check out the new catalogues, in including:

1988 Maxi Sports
1994 French
1996 French
1999 French

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
lofter
no prob, it fills in a couple more holes
New Catalogs 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:02 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Great work!

Now we need late 70s, early 80s and early 90s. keep an eye out.

Chas.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn

Lofter,
Thanks much for the scans of the catalogues. The one that I believe is the most significant is that for 1994, since the last velos (except for the Vitus XO cyclocross model) were officially imported into the U.S. by Gitane U.S.A. at about that time. Even then, the information that I obtained was verbal. Therefore, framesets of the French Replica 111 (Columbus Genius), Leader (Columbus SLX) and one of the Columbus Cromor models could have, presumably, been ordered. The U.S. lineup (framesets only) as of 1993-4 was: Carbon (Probably TVT)- $1,130.00; Columbus EL/OS- $1,057.00; Columbus Genius- $1,029.00; Columbus SLX- $687.00; Columbus Cromor 3- $278.00 (1991 price).
Bienvenue,
Peter H.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn

Lofter, et al,
We have a 1990 French domestic catalogue plus an article from the April, 1987 edition of Bike Tech concerning a prototype carbon Gitane ridden in some of the mountain stages of the 1976 Tour de France. If someone has an address or P.O. box for said information to be mailed to and is willing to scan same, I would be happy to do so.

The catalogue has some interesting models, including a white/black Team Replica, a virtually identical replica of the Vitus GTI/Sachs equipped Histor-Sigma Team velos, plus a deep blue Reynolds 753/Campagnolo Record equipped Replica 11.

The way ahead of it's time carbon velo was, according to Mr. Kanter, then president of Gitane Pacific, a 2-1/2 lb., 7 tube carbon frame crafted by Composits Development Corp. of San Diego, Ca. for Gitane-France and to be ridden in some mountain stages of the 1976 Tour de France by Belgian Gitane rider Lucien van Impe. Van Impe won the Tour that year and, according to Mr. Kanter, the bike was, indeed, ridden in some stages of the race.
Bienvenue,
Peter H.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Peter...you have been holding out on us! I will give you my address...will scan and then post them. I just did that with all of those 1960's catalogues (scanned them and then returned them). I sent you a private message....

New Catalogues Posted to Gitane USA...courtesy of Lofter! 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane