gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » eBay TdF: That's alot of money...
eBay TdF: That's alot of money... 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:56 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
...for this bike:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160383857492&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
With almost 2 days to go and not being a faithful restoration, I'm surprised two folks want it so badly. Oh well!!! Maybe Gitanes are gaining even more respect because this is not going to be bought by a Parter Outer for a Fixie.

Jay

Last edited by greyhundguy on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
the70sbike
It is a very attractive bike, though I see quite a few things that are not correct and/or original.

The paint on Gitanes never looked as good as that one when they were brand new!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
70s,
I agree. Lots of little details (he left rusty nuts on the brake straddle wire hangers and no pinstriped lugs) along with component issues.

It will be interesting to see what it ends at.

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
the70sbike
One other thing that puzzles me about the auction is one bidder, who has over 18,000 points, repeatedly bidding the price up. Usually it is newbie ebayers who do that sort of thing, with experience you will learn to bid in the final seconds. Bidding early just gives others motivation to beat your bid.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
the70sbike wrote:
One other thing that puzzles me about the auction is one bidder, who has over 18,000 points, repeatedly bidding the price up.

Buyer s***t looks like a reseller... Maybe someone who thinks they can make a killing on this bike??? Confused

Look at this buyer, n***a who bid this bike up from $200 to $550. They have 13 bid retractions in the past 6 months and 4 in the past month!

http://tinyurl.com/yaj7lsc

Have you ever tried to do an eBay bid retraction? Mad Shill is such an ugly word! Evil or Very Mad

greyhundguy wrote:
With almost 2 days to go and not being a faithful restoration, I'm surprised two folks want it so badly. Oh well!!! Maybe Gitanes are gaining even more respect because this is not going to be bought by a Parter Outer for a Fixie

Don't count out the stupidity of some fixie fools! There's no braze-ons and the bike has the old style Simplex rear dropouts without a derailleur hanger! Nothing to cut or grind off... Exclamation

"Vertical dropouts" is the magic phrase for fixie fools... "visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads". Confused

the70sbike wrote:
It is a very attractive bike, though I see quite a few things that are not correct and/or original.
The paint on Gitanes never looked as good as that one when they were brand new!

Gitane never used metallic paint in those days. Except for white, orange, light blue and the rare black, Gitane paint was flamboyant - candy apple tinted transparent lacquer over a white primer.

Flamboyant painting is difficult to do, that's why most resprays use metallic paint. The color doesn't look close to Gitane aquamarine flamboyant but that could be due to the digital camera of eBay.

If you are doing a repaint it's a good opportunity to do a little filing and sanding. Look at this ugly blemish:

Metallic paint "just ain't right"! Twisted Evil

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:34 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
This is crazy!!! $1009. with 21 hours left. Did seller say that Hinault rode this bike and I missed it? Did Hinault ever visit Oklahoma? He didn't say much else about it.

Anyone interested in my red TdF for a crazy price??? It's bigger than this one so I figure I can get more money. I'll make up some story for ya. I polished mine a bunch too with the expensive stuff.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
the70sbike
On the other hand, it makes my original, complete aquamarine TdF seem like a bargain at $180!

I am just shaking my head at those ridiculous prices. Stupid bidding, evil bidding, who knows? I wonder if any of them are Japanese collectors with money?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
verktyg
the70sbike wrote:
I wonder if any of them are Japanese collectors with money?

BINGO!

That's it!

It's a 54cm! This bike will end up as a wall hanging in some dark wank room along with a bunch of other French cycling collectibles never to see the light again! Rolling Eyes

I have two 54cm Gitanes, a TdF and a SC. A rattle can paint job, some Cyclomondo decals and some crow bait components (crows are attracted to shiny objects) and eBay here we go! Twisted Evil

I hope Gitanes don't start going the way of the $300-$500 Ideale leather saddles.! Crying or Very sad

There's a parallel between French bikes and German cameras. After destroying both those industries, there's been great fascination in those objects by Japanese collectors. Sort of like "counting coup" or collecting skulls of the vanquished! Crying or Very sad

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Interesting to see where this one concludes.

I remember a very early 1950s Campagnolo rear derailleur going for over $6,000 a couple of years ago. Early Simplex rears also go for high prices not to mention some rims, hubs, indeed saddles (Chas), brakes and pedals. Oddly enough though, custom or middle to high end frames just don't seem to command as much, for some reason, as some components despite the fact that many (particularly the custom ones) were made in far fewer quantities.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Tim,

Maybe there's some rare Huret component on the bike that we're not seeing??? Laughing

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
the70sbike
verktyg wrote:

There's a parallel between French bikes and German cameras. After destroying both those industries, there's been great fascination in those objects by Japanese collectors. Sort of like "counting coup" or collecting skulls of the vanquished! Crying or Very sad

I think you have it, too. I never really looked at it from that perspective, but it makes a lot of sense. Like collecting souveniers from the battlefield, perhaps?
Re: Rare Components? 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
Gtane
verktyg wrote:
Tim,

Maybe there's some rare Huret component on the bike that we're not seeing??? Laughing

Chas,

Absolutely, perhaps the rear changer is titanium.

Good luck to the seller, they should get a very nice sale.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
Its good to see someone score a victory with their sale on ebay ... congrats!
eBay TdF: That's alot of money... 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane