gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Some interesting Gitanes on eBay
Some interesting Gitanes on eBay 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
verktyg
There are some interesting Gitanes currently listed on eBay.

First off, is anyone in the group interested in this bike? I'm bidding on it but if one of you is interested, let me know so we can avoid a "family feud". Wink

http://tinyurl.com/yjyeq8d

It's listed as a 1976 Gitane Tour de France but more likely it's around a 1976 Super Olympic European model since it's located in Germany.

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1975/FR_1975_02.jpg

The bike is listed as "ALL ORIGINAL" and has most of a Campy NR gruppo except for some much funky older 3 piece hubs with steel centers (which could be valuable or junk).

Next is a "Gitane Tour de France road bike frame 49cm reynolds 531" It's most likely a 1969 or 1970 model and has the willow leaf seat stay caps, old style Simplex dropouts and a flat top Wagner fork crown. Also, Gitane measured frames Center to Top in those days so it's a 50cm frame.

http://tinyurl.com/yhho4vk

The eBay pictures are terrible, I cleaned up a few of them and it looks to be in pretty reasonable condition. It's being sold without the Stronglight crank (most likely the seller couldn't figure out how to remove them and will probably trash the arms trying to pull them off with the wrong puller).

Last one, this bike was listed last week and was just re-listed last night. I looked at again this AM and someone grabbed it up already.

It was listed as a "GITANE RACING RACING TEAM REYNOLDS 531" but I think that it's a 1975-75 Interclub without Reynolds tubing.

http://tinyurl.com/ydwbw6j

Here's why I think that it's an Interclub not a TdF:

It has Simplex Prestige derailleurs not the better Criterium models used on TdFs.

Also it may have originally come with Sugino Maxi cranks which were standard on Interclubs rather than the Stronglight 49d cranks on this bike.

Gitane didn't used Stronglight 49d cranks after the 60s but who knows?

The frame has short point Bocama lugs and TdFs usually came with long point lugs in 1974-76.

I was interested in this bike because I've never seen an orange Interclub or an orange Gitane with these green decals.

(crow bait -crows are attracted to bright shiny objects).

But... $360 ($280 +$80 shipping from France) is a little steep for an Interclub without wheels and no Reynolds 531 main tubes (I'm making this assumption because there is no trace of a Reynolds decal and the paint and decals are in pretty good condition).

No relationship to any of the sellers, just historical stuff FYI. Wink

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
Thanks for the info. Chas. I like the 1976 TDF in blue. Good luck on the bidding.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I'm bottom feeding not bidding! Laughing

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Train wreck 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Chas, I have been watching the '76 in Germany and noticed the seller pulled it from sale this evening.

Must have been some kind of big train wreck amongst bidders---or did you "make him an offer he couldn't refuse" Twisted Evil

Peace & Good Health to You and All !!!

WHAT! 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I logged onto eBay this evening to check my "trotlines"... since lately I've been bottom fishing only, and WHAT!!! Shocked Surprised Crying or Very sad

The seller ended the auction! Confused Confused Confused

The bike was probably a 1976 Gitane Super Olympic model rather than a Tour de France. It wasn't quite as pristine as the pictures showed plus it had some funky wheels.

It was just my size, 55cm C-T. Cool I was figuring maybe going $500 max to see if that might have flown. Twisted Evil

My guess is that either the seller is going to relist it with a different description or someone bought it off line. Maybe a Japanese buyer who made him an offer he couldn't refuse like that restored TdF that went for a fortune a while back! Rolling Eyes

Anyway all is not lost! I landed a big one this evening! I got a very nice Stronglight (Spidel) 105bis crankset for about a third of what they've been going for. Cool Very Happy Wink

I really like Stronglight cranks, far better than Campy or Shimano.

CA Check your PM, I sent you something....

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: WHAT! 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
verktyg wrote:
The bike was probably a 1976 Gitane Super Olympic model rather than a Tour de France. It wasn't quite as pristine as the pictures showed plus it had some funky wheels.

The Mavic stem and bars post date this frame by 2-3 years. They came out in 1978-79. With old style 3 piece hubs this may have been a build up. I don't see how he can call it original.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
verktyg
greyhundguy wrote:
verktyg wrote:

The Mavic stem and bars post date this frame by 2-3 years. They came out in 1978-79. With old style 3 piece hubs this may have been a build up. I don't see how he can call it original.

Jay

Jay,

I saw the Mavic bars and stem and thought thought to myself - wow, this must have been some special top of the line Euro only model... DOH! Embarassed

SLAP! The sound of one hand clapping (as it hits my forehead!) Shocked

See, I don't know everything!

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro