gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Shifter cable question
Shifter cable question 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
scozim
Yesterday I was changing out the rear derailleur, brake cables and housing (going yellow) and the shifter cables on my '84 Sprint. I had ordered some derailleur cable (from Loose Screws) and went to install when I discovered the attached end to the cable was too large for the Simplex shifters. I ended up having to use one of my Campy Ergopower cables to get it to work.

I assumed, obviously incorrectly, that most of the downtube shifters had a uniform size. Any idea on when the shifter cable ends started to get larger. Has Campy always had a smaller attached tip?

One of my dad's bikes that I have to rebuild has Simplex shifters and has the cable end is jammed into the right shifter lever. Someone just forced a too large end into the shifter so that it will not come out easily.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
drummer5
I had the same problem when building up my Professional with Campy dt shifters, after filing down the ends a little bit and then they went in fine. I just chalked it up as one of those fun little quirks of classic bikes and components.
Shifter Cable Ends 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Scott, Neil,

There are 2 current "standard" sizes for derailleur cable ends? Confused

Shimano down tube shifters use a slightly larger cable end than Campagnolo.

I've never seen a spec for cable end sizes so I measured a bunch of brand new ones.

The new JagWire cables for Shimano down tube shifters measured ~4.38mm to ~4.50mm.

New JagWire cables for Campagnolo down tube shifters measured ~4.20mm to ~4.30mm.

New original Campagnolo braided derailleur cable ends measured ~3.83mm to 4.0mm.

Shimano cables will probably fit Suntour shift levers. The ones made for Campy levers fit Simplex levers.

I know nothing about brifters and newer bar end shifters.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
Wisey
Ugh, I hate that 'thing' brifters. I refuse to call 'it' a word as it most certainly is not. Laughing

Anyway..... Wink

Same applies to all Shimano STI Levers, Campagnolo Ergo Levers and SRAM's shifters as well as those brand's bar end shifters.

Everyone uses the Shimano 'standard' except for Campy who use their own 'standard'.

Jagwire do cables in both sizes as Chas pointed out. The Campy cables will work fine with your old Simplex or other old DT Shifters (Modolo etc).

I keep all my old cables from my modern Campy Ergo equiped bikes for my old Resto bikes as the cables are nice and long, ready to be trimmed for use on a bike with DT shifters. May as well recycle..... Rolling Eyes

Delta Dreamin'
Shifter cable question 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane