gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Thanks to GitaneUSA
Thanks to GitaneUSA 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:11 am Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
I wanted to thank Stephan and all of you for your kind words over my recent misadventure involving my Super Corsa. I received and immediately read "The Rider" by Tim Krabbe that you sent to me. It definitely reminds me of why I will be back on the road (rubber side down!) as soon as I can.
I have not yet received final word from my LBS regarding the condition of my frame and fork. We'll make it right, one way or another.

Thanks again - Jim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:46 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Jim,

Good to hear of your recovery and also very good to hear of your return to the saddle. I too have read The Rider and can thoroughly recommend it - an excellent book.

All the very best with the frame and forks too. I Look forward to hearing the findings.

Keep well and safe riding.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I am looking forward to hearing that you are back on the road. I was almost killed on November 12, 2004 when a car cut me off and I went through the passenger side front window. 350+ stitches, 3 staples, and 4 pins later, my hand was reattached (nailed) to my arm and the innards in my neck were covered up again.

I know that things can get bad on the road, but also know there is no substitute for riding your bike.

On the same note, the a**hole who caused two cyclists to crash through his rear windshield was scheduled to be sentenced today in Los Angeles. Here is a link if you haven't heard about this story. Truly horrific.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/01/news/l-a-road-rage-doctor-to-be-sentenced-on-friday_102263

Bad Rear Bearings 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Jim,

Glad to hear that you are recovering.

The other day when I was rebuilding a set of Normandy Luxe Competition hubs I thought of another possibility for front end shimmy, bad wheel bearings.... Confused

Years ago I briefly worked for a company that did high speed balancing and vibration diagnosis on machinery. They had several portable units for field use that included a bunch of vibration sensors plus a modified Snapon strobe timing light with a frequency dial.

The strobe easily detected the source of the vibrations. Frequently they were coming from a different area than where the vibrations were causing problems such as a mismatched set of spindle pulley drive belts.

Since you said that you had a lot of miles on your wheels, you might want to check your wheel bearings, especially the rear ones!

BTW, common out of balance problems on car tires aren't felt until 60-66 mph. The mass of car tires and wheels can absorb a lot of vibration. A skinny bike tire and wheel is going to be more sensitive to out of balance issues.

Good luck...

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The doctor got 5 years. A**hole.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/01/news/l-a-road-rage-doctor-gets-five-years_102274

Thanks to GitaneUSA 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane