gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » To Chrome or Not to Chrome
To Chrome or Not to Chrome 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
lwilkin
I recently picked up what I believe to be a 1976 Tour D'France with beautiful Huret drop outs and long point Bocama lugs. The frame is solid but the chrome is destroyed and the greeen has paint faded. I have a decal set on the way and have color matched the paint but just got a quote of $200 to replace the chrome. Obviously I would like to bring it back to original but I am not sure it is in the budget. I am interested in hearing the groups opinion on the need to maintain historical accuracy. One thing I have noticed is the chroming seems inconsistent. Most TDF forks have the lower half of the blades and the crown chromed but the stays I have seen both no chrome and the back half chromed.
Any opinions on how much of a bastard I will create if I just paint the whole frame and fork?
/Lane Wilkinson
Seattle WA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Most, if not all, Gitane bikes that have painted rear triangles are the "3 tube" Reynolds 531 variety. The chromed rear end usually means that it is built with all Reynolds 531 tubing...so there is a difference in the models.

However, if you are refinishing a frame, I don't really think you are doing any "damage" by not having it chromed. Remember, that someone can always do that in the future. Sure, it won't be an exact replica of its original form. But I don't think that you are doing anything to the value of the bike by refinishing it without the rechrome. It would look nicer...but if it isn't in the budget, then forget about it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:23 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Lane,
Did your frame have chrome on the rear originally or just a chrome socks fork? The '76 TdF I have is chrome front and rear. The forks were fully chromed and then painted just revealing the socks and crown. Take a look at "Jay's '76 TdF before" in the owner gallery on this forum. If you are getting a quote of $200 to do the fork and rear stays, I think it's a good deal. If it's just the fork that was chrome then you might want to consider buying a new fully chromed replacement fork which can be found for much less than that and leave it or paint it like the original to match the frame.

Here's a fork I got to replace one on my Interclub build which was all pitted and looked terrible. I'm just leaving it all chrome. Click photo to enlarge.

It was a fraction of the $200 cost if you are just having your fork rechromed.

The other consideration would be if your fork is Reynolds 531. Then you may want to keep it.

Posting photos of your "before" frame may help too.

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote
lwilkin
After some introspection I have decided to do the restoration right and go for the chroming of the stays and forks. The forks are 531 and since the rear chrome stays were a differentiator between models I think it is best to do it right. I got an auto body friend to shoot the paint so overall the restoration will not be too expensive.
She is going to be full French, with Huret Jubilie deraileurs, Stronglight 93 crank, and Mafac brakes. Just need to round up a front deraileur and a 26.4 seat post. I spent a few hours in front of the buffing wheel last night polishing old crusty parts and they are looking great. I will post photos of the completed project!
/Lane Wilkinson
Seattle WA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Lane,
Please post photos of the 'before'. It's always nice to see what someone has accomplished in the end.

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Lane,
This is the earlier steel version of the Simplex seat post as found on my '76 TdF. Mine is the later alloy model. Either version can bring a high price in very good condition in the desirable French sizes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Simplex-Badge-Seatpost-26-4mm-Very-nice_W0QQitemZ330372239172QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cebb84f44

Jay

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane