gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Personal archives : vintage pics
Personal archives : vintage pics 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
nicolas
Hi guys,

For christmas I scanned and re-mastered 1500 family pictures...took me 8 months.

Here's what I found among them :

the 1983 Tour de France between Chateaubriand & nantes on July 8th

Pascal Simon

Steven Rooks

Kim Andersen

Sean Kelly

Eric Vanderaerden

Gilbert Duclos Lassalle

Phil Anderson

Unknown Criterium near Royan in 1988

Joel Pelier

Thierry Marie

top of the Cote de la Madeleine in Chevreuse in the last stage of the 1982 Tour de France on july 25th

Hinault, Winnen, Andersen, Van Der Poel, Alban

1979 criterium de Pontchateau on july 25th

Francesco Moser

Yvon Bertin

Jean Chassang

Yer Man, Mr H

And...that's me, wearing a strange gardener outfit at age 7 :

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:20 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Superb shots Nicolas, thank you.

We're so fortunate in our sport that we can get so close to the riders. I hope this continues, albeit on the open road. However, it is getting more difficult at the starts and finishes as the railings extend for kilometers rather than a few meters. I have a feeling that the whole of Alpe D'Huez may well have railings right the way up the climb for race day, at some point in the future.

Do you have any more photos?

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote
nicolas
Thanks Tim,

Not much more, I'm afraid. There might be somewhere some shots of the 1985 tour de France peloton at the same location as the 1982 pics. Not too sure.
I have yet to do a proper scan of a picture that my brother took of Hinault. It' s an historical shot as we witnessed him sprinting for his last tour de France climb, again in Chevreuse in 1986.
Last time I saw the tour there was LeMond in yellow in 1990 but I didn't have a camera.

Back then, when you went to a criterium, not only did you have the chance to see the riders in action but I also remember that we were always looking for Hinault's car to show up and we could be with him when he took the bike out of the trunk and everything. Just as if it was the average bloke.

Atmosphere was great, made me fall in love with cycling.

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
scozim
Once again - another fantastic post by Nicolas. I've never had the chance to see a professional bike race in person but these photos have convinced me it's an absolute must do.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Nicolas,

Thanks for the update. I too had similar experiences on race days that made me feel that this was the sport for me.

The 1982 Worlds were just as your description details. The scene that you mention of the riders arriving reminds me not only of the races that I have visited but of similar scenes in the film, A Sunday in Hell. It's a film that, to me, perfectly sums up and encapsulates the essence of pro bike racing. Stars and Watercarriers is another top favourite of mine. Even when Miguel Indurain reigned, the atmosphere was very casual at The Tour. I remember that one could walk amongst the riders at the start, chat with them and wish them luck. It was a very pleasant and completely normal coexistence for the ardent fan and rider alike.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Nicolas has, once again, thrown down the gauntlet and is now in the early lead for best post of 2010. It will be difficult to best this one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
nicolas
Gtane wrote:
Nicolas,

Thanks for the update. I too had similar experiences on race days that made me feel that this was the sport for me.

The 1982 Worlds were just as your description details. The scene that you mention of the riders arriving reminds me not only of the races that I have visited but of similar scenes in the film, A Sunday in Hell. It's a film that, to me, perfectly sums up and encapsulates the essence of pro bike racing. Stars and Watercarriers is another top favourite of mine. Even when Miguel Indurain reigned, the atmosphere was very casual at The Tour. I remember that one could walk amongst the riders at the start, chat with them and wish them luck. It was a very pleasant and completely normal coexistence for the ardent fan and rider alike.

Tim

Exactly.

I remember going at the finish of the 1986 tour de France TTT. I don't remember specifically but I don't think we had any kind of security pass or anything and yet, after the finish, we made our way among riders and staff, at one point being able to reach the La Vie Claire team cars. I remember vividly my father knocking on Greg LeMond's door, he was being debriefed (the team had not pereformed too well that day, losing time on Fignon and his bunch of deltas). My father had met LeMond in a plane a few weeks earlier, chatting and predicting him a tour win so he was hoping to catch up, but the atmosphere at that moment was very tense and the door remained shut.

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
nicolas
sandranian wrote:
Nicolas has, once again, thrown down the gauntlet and is now in the early lead for best post of 2010. It will be difficult to best this one.

Actually, I'm being as stupid as I was when racing on a bike...it's way too early in the race...just like last year with my Hinault post !

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I think your Hinault post was submitted in 2008...or was that when the interview took place??? I thought it was from 2008, which why it didn't get the (or an) award. Probably should have though. Either way, brilliant posts!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
nicolas
sandranian wrote:
I think your Hinault post was submitted in 2008...or was that when the interview took place??? I thought it was from 2008, which why it didn't get the (or an) award. Probably should have though. Either way, brilliant posts!

Your thanks, and those of other good people of gitaneusa forum's are my everyday reward... And I was very late on the awards discussion, I only discovered it last week.

And you're right, the Hinault post was 2008 but the interview 2009 so technically... Laughing

www.greglemondfan.com
Personal archives : vintage pics 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane