gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Help to identify this Gitane Track frame.
Help to identify this Gitane Track frame. 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
mva0322
i recently bought this gitane track frame and i'm trying to figure out if it's a Mexico or Super Pista. i think that it might be the Mexico as i'm pretty sure it's 3 tubes Reynolds, i need to re-look at the decal? trying to do a completely original restore and was also wondering what other colours this came in if i decided to change the colour.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I don't know why no one has bitten on this...

My question is...why are you considering repainting this frameset? Is there something that needs to be done in order to preserve it that we cannot see in the photographs? It appears to have a good finish still on it, with all of the original decals. That in itself is rare and worth preserving!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:18 am Reply with quote
m000ns
I absolutely agree with Stephan. Frame looks great to me.

73 IC
73 GSD
75 TDF
73 PX10
1974-5 Mexico Track Frame 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
It looks like a 1974-5 Mexico track frame which you could have in any color as long as it was Gitane blue... Wink

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1974_pg2.jpg
(see bottom picture - click to enlarge)

The French catalog says "Colorama" which I take to mean any Gitane color available during those years.

Here's a picture of an orange Mexico from the 1985 French catalog:

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1975/FR_1975_03.jpg (click to enlarge)

My guess is, in the US they were only available in blue red and green candy apple (flamboyant) colors plus silver, maybe only blue.

The 3 main tubes are butted Reynolds 531, the forks and stays are unknown, maybe Durifort or some other lighter gage tubes (lighter than "gas pipe" tubing).

It looks like someone replaced the standard Gitane or Stronglight P3 steel headset with an alloy one, perhaps a Shimano headset.

As far as repainting, after the fixie fad goes away, if your repaint it, it will loose all of it classic bike value! Rolling Eyes

The way it sits now, you have a classic, never again available 35 year old frame in nice condition.

Repainted, the value will only be whatever someone is willing to pay for just another track frame without any "provenance" (histroy or pedigree).

Professionally refinished frames rarely bring half of what was spent on the paint and other restoration and tend to look just like a restoration.

Advice from a local painter/frame builder/restorer: only spend that kind of money ($300-$600+) on a frame you really like and want to keep.

There's a term used in antiques - Patina - meaning an items shows the marks of age and use. Your frame has Patina.

Stephan says I have to be nice... but if you want a brand new looking bike, it's usually much cheaper to buy a new bike!

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Help to identify this Gitane Track frame. 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane