gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Super Corsa? Or Tour de France? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Rixtir
STW wrote:
So drops are not definitive. Neither are transfers. Not paint.

Only the components, and this bike has the Stronglight headset. Can we imagine that they ran out of NR headsets and put this P3 on an SC? That seems way more unlikely than that they put the French components on a bike with Campagnolo drops to make it a TdeF. Since that P3 headset is almost never installed on a bike it wasn't original on, it seems like the only definitive aspect of this frame. Chas adds the extra information that because of stack height the P3 is even more definitive because it almost has to be original to the frame.

So it's a TdeF. No question.

What I added here is superfluous Wink but it was too good a thread not to weigh in.

This is the problem that will arise when certain bikes are parted out-- if it was a complete bike, there would be no question as to what it is. But stripped down, it becomes debatable. Concealing its true identity might even be a motivation for some sellers (this seller seemed to be honest-- he added Chas' message to the ad). So it's details like the headset and steering tube that will be the final arbiters, it seems.

A very interesting discussion here, thanks everybody!

Rick
Availability of models 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Rick

There were several issues concerning cost and availability back in those days

In the US between the end of WWII and the beginning of the Bike Boom in the early 70s, bicycles were for the most part considered kid's toys.

Granted there was a devoted following of "eccentric" adults who rode around on weird looking European "racing bikes" but they tended to be limited to urban areas such as NYC, Boston, Chicago, Washington DC, San Francisco and LA. Those places had more people who were exposed to adult cycling through trips to Europe and so on.

When I got out of the service in the mid 60s one of the first things I wanted to do was get me a job and buy me a muscle car like all of my friends had! A four wheeled gas guzzling 400 HP screamer!

I brought a 10 speed back from overseas but it sat in a box for several years. When I did start to ride it, you should have seen the looks that I got and that was in a university area!

When the bike boom started in the US it was mostly high school students, college students and young adults without a lot of money who were buying "10 speed racing bikes" as they were called then.

Entry level 10 speeds sold for ~$80 to $100. There are many tales of young people saving up their pennies to buy one of these bikes.

$250 FOR A BIKE! THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS!

That's what Gitane Tour de France bikes were selling for in the early 70s!

You could by a new Ford Maverick for $1995 in California in 1970!

Campagnolo equipped Gitane Super Corsas sold for ~$300-$400. Throw in Campy brakes, if and when they were available and that could set you back another $100 to $150.

Most of the established European bike manufacturers offered at least one top of the line Campagnolo equipped "professional Racing model". Very few of these bikes were ever made or sold!

Part of the reason for their existence was to foster the racing image of the lower end bikes, that's where the money was and afterall, they were 10 speed racers!

Most of these production model Campy bikes were intended to hang on the walls of bike shops as advertising for buyers to goggle over! Every decent sized bike shop had one or two. They were just like Chevy Corvettes, eye candy! Rolling Eyes

There were probably at least 100-200 Gran Sports sold for every Tour de France and maybe 50 or more TdFs for every Super Corsa! Shocked

Outside of a few locales, Super Corsas just weren't that common in the US. TdF were much more affordable. Many folks bought them with the intention of upgrading their bikes when they could afford to do it.

In addition, French bikes had a bad reputation for poor quality cosmetics - lugwork, paint and so on. Someone spending $400+ for a Gitane Super Corsa was just as likely to chunk out another $100 bucks or so and get one of those hot Italian models that ruled the luxury bike market! Wink

Another consideration, Campagnolo had limited production capabilities in the early 70s. Unlike today, you couldn't just walk down to a LBS and buy a gruppo! Campagnolo was probably hard pressed to crank out 100,000 gruppos a year for the whole world.

Many bike shops, us included, bought low cost Campy equipped bikes and parted them out for the gruppos. For a while we could get Campy equipped Gitane Super Corsas plus Italian Bottecchias, Atalas and a few other makes for around $300 wholesale. This was at a time when a Campy gruppo wholesaled for $300! We got a gruppo with a set of wheels plus a frame we could sell for $75-$100!

Looking from todays perspective, bikes like TdFs, Super Corsas and other better quality production models may seem like they were very common back in the day. They were not!

Better quality bikes have probably survived the years because the owners kept them around in their basements or garages maybe intending to ride them again some day or passing them on to their children.

Less expensive models probably succumbed to spousal attacks and yard sales long ago, "GET THAT THING OUT OF HERE!" Crying or Very sad

They've become Toyotas and Kias several times over! Laughing

As a side note, the Gitane Tour de France was in direct competition with the similarly equipped Peugeot PX-10.

The PX-10 was perceived as an all out racing machine whereas the TdF a general purpose performance bike.

A high number of PX-10 owners kept their bikes stock. TdF owners tended to be the exact opposite. That's why you find a lot of "all original" PX-10s for sale and very few original TdFs.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:20 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I never thought that I would hear on this website...dealing with French bikes...that the "issue was settled science."

I have to say that while I understand your logic, I am still bothered that the difference now between an SC and a TdF is the length of a fork's steerer tube. What if the frame doesn't come with a fork? Then can it be either, assuming the stickers have been removed?

I will say it again: The ONLY difference between the FRAME of a SC and a TdF is the dropouts. That is it. If the theory is that the TdF came with either campy or simplex, then there is no difference (aside from the components...but we are talking about FRAMES, not accessories).

There is no such thing as settled science. If you think there is, there are plenty of jobs available at the University of East Anglia.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
sandranian wrote:
What if the frame doesn't come with a fork? Then can it be either, assuming the stickers have been removed?

When a "What if" presents itself I'm sure we will address it. Seems to me that it could be built/restored as either a SC or TdF if one is fortunate enough to find the correct original fork. A generic replacement fork would not make it an ORIGINAL of one or the other.

I was happy to see the Tour de Corsa sell for a strong price. Gitanes are getting more recognition as a desirable Marque.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
$350 is a pretty good price ($400 with shipping). I guess in the end the frame has to be called what it is badged. In the case of that frameset, it should properly be called at Gitane Tour de France with Campagnolo dropouts.

My problem is that I want things to fit neatly into boxes and categories. I picked the wrong brand for that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
sandranian wrote:
I guess in the end the frame has to be called what it is badged. In the case of that frameset, it should properly be called at Gitane Tour de France with Campagnolo dropouts.

Or maybe, RARE Gitane TdF with Campagnolo dropouts.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Rixtir
greyhundguy wrote:

I was happy to see the Tour de Corsa sell for a strong price. Gitanes are getting more recognition as a desirable Marque.

I wasn't. It just makes it harder for me to find a good high-end Gitane at an affordable price. I know some of you have collections, so appreciation is a good thing from your perspective, but man, $350 for a Super TdF *frameset*? Those kinds of prices probably help make this guy think he's being reasonable:

WAY over-priced Gitane Grand Sport de Luxe

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I DO have a 1984 Grantour, which I will HOPEFULLY be getting back on the road this week (a post will follow when it's ready), so it's not as if riding a decent Gitane is completely out of reach, but I'm still looking forward to finding a good TdF at a good price one of these days.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The seller of that Gran Sport is nuts. Perhaps he has run one too many marathons? I never understood runners anyways....

Re: Availability of models 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Rixtir
verktyg wrote:
Rick

There were several issues concerning cost and availability back in those days...Entry level 10 speeds sold for ~$80 to $100. There are many tales of young people saving up their pennies to buy one of these bikes.

I was fortunate in that my dad bought bikes for the family in 1971 (I was 15). My dad, mom, and sister all got Gitane Grand Sport de Luxes. I got a Raleigh Record. I think they were all in that $80-$100 price range. My sister's Gitane was stolen after she moved out and got her own place. My mom's Gitane sustained front-end damage when one of the neighborhood kids borrowed it. Both my mom's and my dad's Gitanes are still in her attic. Someday I'll restore them, but I'm in no hurry now.

verktyg wrote:
$250 FOR A BIKE! THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS!

That's what I paid for my Motobecane Grand Touring in 1977-- the first and last time that I bought a new bike with my own money. I had a job, and got tired of the crappy shifting with my entry-level Raleigh, so I decided to look at new bikes. At that time, $250 seemed like a LOT of money for a bike. And it was a lot of money. Even the $80-$100 of entry level bikes during the early years of the bike boom was a LOT of money. Those prices seem like nothing to us today, but back then, nobody could imagine paying that much for a bike. The $250 I paid for the Motobecane was money well-spent, but it was a fortune at that time-- at least, for me it was.

It was also the most I ever spent on a bike, until last year, when I picked up a nearly-new 1984 Lotus Odyssey for $400.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
scozim
That Gran Sport has been listed in San Jose for a looong time (not that I'm checking that much Very Happy ) Prices seem to be all over the place but definitely on the rise.

This one started at $350 and has now dropped and Gitane still isn't spelled correctly.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/bik/1606558381.html

And, I'm going to have to check this one out at the swap this weekend - way overpriced, especially with the repaint and mismatched components.

http://skagit.craigslist.org/bik/1610403327.html

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Rixtir
scozim wrote:
That Gran Sport has been listed in San Jose for a looong time (not that I'm checking that much Very Happy ) Prices seem to be all over the place but definitely on the rise.

This one started at $350 and has now dropped and Gitane still isn't spelled correctly.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/bik/1606558381.html

And, I'm going to have to check this one out at the swap this weekend - way overpriced, especially with the repaint and mismatched components.

http://skagit.craigslist.org/bik/1610403327.html

That the first bike, which is clearly a Grand Sport, is being advertised as a "TdF"-- a common-enough mistake. The second bike (I agree that it's way over-priced for a bike that isn't original, or at least hasn't been properly restored) could be a TdF, or it could be a Grand Sport-- who can tell with that photo? More close-ups, and fewer race photos, would be helpful in establishing what he's got.

And fenders on a TdF?

I can't imagine anybody paying $750 for that, or anything above $150 for a Grand Sport, no matter how well-preserved.

But yes, prices have been whack for about 2 years now, so these seem to be par for the course. I'm glad to see that nobody is biting on these ridiculous prices, though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
sandranian wrote:
The seller of that Gran Sport is nuts..

Maybe, maybe not. You do have to admit it is in good condition and with much better components than its original build. He's hoping to get his investment back. Can you blame him?

Try to build up the $350. Super TdF frame with good condition original (not NOS) parts for less than another $500. Think about it. A set of NOS Mafac Competition brakes sold recently for $187. not including shipping. You will pay $50.+ for a set in fair to good condition if you are lucky.

I know what it cost me to get my '71 College TdF to the point that I wanted it to be and I didn't need to, or have to, get a lot of parts. The proper Christophe Special old logo toe clips cost me $50. (for NOS) to replace the beat up ones on there. Today you might pay that for good used ones. I know I'll never get my investment back but I sure would try if I wanted to sell it.

Maybe too hopeful is a better term than nuts for the seller. He has room to drop the price.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Rixtir wrote:
And fenders on a TdF?

Geezzzzzzzzzzz...you live in Portland and don't use fenders? Wink

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
My problem is that I want things to fit neatly into boxes and categories. I picked the wrong brand for that.

Stephan, you should join the Raleigh crew! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I stand by my characterization of the seller as "nuts"...if he expects to get that. Actually, I guess technically it would be the person who paid $350 for that.

I often tell people that they shouldn't be in this for investment purposes. It is par for the course to spend $1000 or more to make a bicycle that is "worth" $500. That is why people part out bicycles. A great example of spending more than a bicycle is worth involves a three speed Schwinn that I have been helping a friend build. You can either buy a complete three speed raleigh for around $40 at the swap meet and use the wheels from it for your Schwinn rebuild...or spend $150 on a paid of wheels with a Sturmey Archer 3spd hub.

If you covet the bike, you'll spend the money. If you are doing it for the resale value or hope to recoup what you put into it...good luck!

Super Corsa? Or Tour de France? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane