gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Ok - another problem to ponder
Ok - another problem to ponder 
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Ok, here's another confusing one. I was out riding today when the rear tubular wheel developed a creaking noise. It happens when pedaling or not but only when there's weight on the wheel - either riding or just leaning over the saddle in the driveway and slowly moving the bike. If you just stand next to it and spin it there's no noise.

I have: made sure the saddle and seat post were tight, changed the skewer, repacked the bearings in the hub even though they seemed to be really smooth. I swapped in another rear wheel - no noise.

Ideas - could it be the spokes rubbing? The wheel spins nice and true.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:39 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Scott,

It could well be the spokes. However, when I have found spokes to be an issue they made a slight pinging or feint grinding sound. I've personally never experienced creaking spokes.

It might be worth checking the frame and gear cables. Occasionally unlubricated gear cables can creak where they go through steel guides as the pedals are turned when out of the saddle, particularly in the area of the bottom bracket.

As a further thought, check that the cranks are perfectly seated on the axle as they can sometimes creak when riding out of the saddle. It might be worth refitting just to be sure.

All the best with fixing the issue.

Tim

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:02 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Spokes.

Base Tape on the sewup tires 
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
verktyg
I had a strange noise problem with a set of "new" tubular tires. I bought them about a year apart from 2 different sources so it was unlikely a bad batch.

I mounted the tire on new rims on my mystery 1990s Gitane team bike using Tufo orange rim tape. On the 4th ride I started hearing a creaking noise from the rear. I got off and checked everything for safety and started riding again. Pretty soon the front tire started making the same noise.

It only occurred below 15 mph and eventually sounded like a cloth tearing noise. The tires had only four 25 mile rides on them during mild Spring weather so it wasn't a heat issue.

I suspected that maybe the Tufo rim tape that I used to mount them may have been coming loose. It was the first time I tried it.

When I got home I deflated the tires to see how well they were adhering to the rim. That's when I found the the tire casings were separating from the base tape - the cloth covering over the stitches in the casing.

Base tape on a used tubular tire:

Base tape peeled back:

I contacted the manufacturer and they exchanged the tires for me.

The base tape used to be a bear to separate from the casing to make a repair. Back in the late 80s or so, tubular tire makers changed the adhesive they used to attached the base tape.

I sent a dozen low mileage sewups back to a place in Florida to have new base tapes put on. I acquired these tires on wheels or bikes that I bought. While they were 10-15 years old the tread and casings were still good just the base tape came loose.

http://www.tirealert.com/

I think that I figured out what caused the separation in the new tires in the first place. Back in the day we stretched new tubulars by stepping on on one side and pulling on the other. We'd work our was around the tire stretching it and it would go on the rim easily.

I suspect that you can't do that anymore and by stretching them I loosened the base tape adhesion when I did that.

Scott, If that seems to be a possibility, I'd recheck the glue job and ride them a little more and see if the sound changes.

Oh and by the way, I highly recommend the Tufo Extreme rim tape. Take a clincher tire removing tool along because they are a bear to get started when you want to remove a tire.

Also Tufo Tire Sealant.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Chas,
Thanks - it is a brand new Continental Sprinter on the rim. I'll deflate and check it out. The instructions specifically said not to stretch the tire so I installed it over another rim for a month and a half or so, fully inflated, before I put it on the rim.

That would be nice if it's the tire and a reglue takes care of it.

Scott

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
Chas,

I've never had that issue with a tub but I have with a squeaky boot. Exactly that, the wearing of two skins devoid of anything moist or to adhere them. That does indeed create a reasonable squeak, creak or noise. Dubbin was the solution there but I doubt it's the solution for this one.

Scott,

Hopefully another idea towards your solution.

Again, all the best with the mend.

Tim

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane