gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Bottom Bracket Issues
Bottom Bracket Issues 
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:20 am Reply with quote
wtgrantham
I have a 1973 Gitane TDF that I restored and am having problems with the bottom bracket. I can tighten the cup enough to eliminate the "horizontal" play, but it still will rock back and forth (vertically) a tiny bit, if I tighten it where this stops I can tell it is dragging on the bearings. Can I assume the bottom bracket is shot? would it indicate bad cups, bad spindle or a combination of both (I have replaced the bearings)?

It is a stronglight BB and I think the spindle is 118 mm. Velo Orange has french BBs but their spindle size that is close is 116 or 122 would either of these be OK? They are also JIS taper, I am using a stronglight crankset, will these match up?

Any tips on what tool and technique for removing fixed cup?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I will let others opine on the cause and best fix for the BB...but as far as the best tools to remove the fixed cup, I would suggest using a bench-mounted vice, using the frame itself for leverage. Remember that the fixed cup will NOT be reverse threaded.

Re: Bottom Bracket Issues 
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
vanhelmont
wtgrantham wrote:
I have a 1973 Gitane TDF that I restored and am having problems with the bottom bracket. I can tighten the cup enough to eliminate the "horizontal" play, but it still will rock back and forth (vertically) a tiny bit, if I tighten it where this stops I can tell it is dragging on the bearings. Can I assume the bottom bracket is shot? would it indicate bad cups, bad spindle or a combination of both (I have replaced the bearings)?

Jobst Brandt on adjusting the bb: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/bb-adjust.html
It should be tight. With campy bottom brackets I have been able to get it pretty tight, so that I can turn it with my thumb and forefinger, with it still being smooth. That might get rid of the vertical play for you.

Quote:
It is a stronglight BB and I think the spindle is 118 mm. Velo Orange has french BBs but their spindle size that is close is 116 or 122 would either of these be OK? They are also JIS taper, I am using a stronglight crankset, will these match up?

Sheldon Brown talks about mixing iso cranks with jis spindles and vice versa. He says it's OK if you aren't taking them off to grease the bb, which would be the case with the sealed bb unit from velo orange, but the jis spindle length should be 4.5 mm shorter than the iso spindle it replaces.http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html

You could use the 113 mm, if you had .5 mm clearance between the cranks and the chain stay before, or the 116 mm which will move the cranks outward by about 1 mm on each side.
Bottom Bracket Issues 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane