gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane Restoration Project - Need Help with ID, etc... Goto page 1, 2  Next
Gitane Restoration Project - Need Help with ID, etc... 
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
MRussell
Hello Everyone,

First off, let me say I know next to nothing about road bikes. I recently decided to change that fact and took on a project to restore my late Uncle's Gitane road bike, thereby learning something about bikes and honoring my Uncle in the process.

My Uncle, who was a cycling buff, passed away in the late eighties. My parents have kept this bike in their garage ever since. It hasn't been touched/ridden since.

PICTURES: http://picasaweb.google.com/kaity.ross/Gitane#

As you can see, the bike is very worn (he rode it across Europe at one point). THere's some surface rust and paint touch-ups throughout.

Here's what I've been able to identify after some online research:

(I think it's a TdF though I'm not sure)
Approx. 58 cm frame.
531 Reynolds Tubing
"Super Course"
Campagnolo Record Hubs
Campagnolo Gran Turismo Derailers
Mafac "Competition" Brakes
The right rear chain stay has a "luxe polymerise" decal.
Campagnolo cranks and rods (though they look newer than the rest of the bike)
Campagnolo pedals
Front while is Mavic
Rear Wheel is Weinmann

Like I said, I'd like to use this as an opportunity to learn about bikes, while producing a bike I can ride regularly. But I'd also like to keep it as original as possible with an eye towards proper preservation. Will a restoration job break the bank? Any warnings, words of advice? Are there things that MUST be replaced v. things that CAN be repaired/restored? From a collector's perspective, are there things that should NEVER be replaced? Any information at all would be a great help. I'm looking forward to getting started!

Thanks!

Mike Russell
Gitane ID 
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
gmany
It appears to be a Super Corsa 1972ish. Probably with a couple changes for the European tour: wide ratio gears in back and the Gran Tourismo RD to match. (the stock RD could not handle a wide ratio arrangement)

There is a chance that it is a modified Gran Tourisme, but it's more likely a Super Corsa, that is unless you have fenders and evidence that there used to be a third chainring.

Oh, If you plan to ride it you probably should change the Pivo stem, I've read here that they have a record of failure.

Gitane ID 
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
MRussell
Thanks for the input!

Well, there aren't any fenders but there is a third chain ring. Does this mean it's more likely a Gran Tourisme?

Also, the decal on the frame states "Service Course," not "Super Course" as I mistakenly indicated above.

Thanks again,

Mike
Super Course vs. Super Corsa - It's a Gran Tourisme 
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Almost all of the better quality Gitane bikes from the Foil Decal period of 1968 to mid 1974 had Super Course decals on the top tube.

Your bike is a a rare early 70s Gran Tourisme model, maybe 1972 or 73. You can tell by the braze-ons on the forks for a small front rack plus the generator mount on the left fork blade.

Here's the spec sheet from early 70s catalog:

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1970_pg11.jpg

The Gran Tourisme model came with a 2.2 Lb. (1 kilo) Campagnolo Gran Turismo rear derailleur. I have one and I keep it in a proper place, on my deck as a conversation piece! Cool

The Campagnolo Gran Turismo was one of the heaviest and worst shifting derailleurs of that era. Campy only made them for about 2 years! I always liked the Grim Reaper's scythe look of the pulley cage! Wink

The Gran Tourisme was spec'd with a rare Campagnolo model 1048/5 triple crankset with a 36 tooth small chainring mounted on inner studs.

Your bike has the model 1048/3 crankset which was a standard Nuovo Record crank with extra long chainring bolts to convert it into a triple. A 42 tooth (or very rare 41 tooth) chainring was the smallest that would fit it.

It was probably used due to availability problems with the 1048/5 cranks during the bike boom.

If you plan on doing much riding on this bike, you might consider changing the bars and stem plus switching to a newer mid 70s Suntour, Shimano or Simplex rear derailleur. Save all of the old parts.

Aside from the seat, missing front rack, generator and fenders, everything looks original.

BTW. the stem and seatpost look a little high. You should have both of them inserted at least 3" (75mm).

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Gran Tourisme it is. 
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
MRussell
Thanks for all the GREAT information!

My plan at this point is to start taking it all apart. Clean everything. Remove rust. Replace what I have to (and what you suggested) and then put it all back together.

Not knowing anything about bike repair (other than how to change a tube and break pads), are there certain things you would warn me about taking apart myself without getting some professional help/studying up a bit more.

Also, you stated that the model and year are "rare." I have absolutely no interest in selling it, but should I treat it as a sought-after thing among collectors? With that in mind, are their certain things enthusiasts would cringe at me taking on? Is a new paint job a sin? Stripping the original decals and replacing them with replicas? Changing the cable liners?

Like I mentioned, I want this to be a bike I can use without worrying about it. But I also want to do a good job and build something I can be proud to show people who know better than I.

Any thoughts?

And thanks again, y'all have been more than helpful already.
Thought I'd give it one more try... 
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
MRussell
It's official - I have a new obsession. This bike is pretty much all I can think about these days. At this point I've begun breaking the bike down by takign off what appear to be the most easily removable attachments and polishing everything up. I got a local bike shop to break the chain for me.

Next up: the brakes.

Well...now that I've found such an informative forum I'm sure I'll post some more as the project progresses.

If anyone has any tips for a noob, I'd love to hear them. The questions in my last post still stand if anyone has any suggestions.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Welcome to the "sickness" that is known as vintage bikes. Confused I started in 2008 with one 1997 bike and now have 6 good riders - including two much loved Gitane's - and several others in various states. I also went dumpster diving for another Gitane yesterday.

I have to keep reminding my wife - this is cheaper than vintage cars.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
scozim wrote:
I have to keep reminding my wife - this is cheaper than vintage cars.

...and other women! Laughing

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: Super Course vs. Super Corsa - It's a Gran Tourisme 
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
Rixtir
verktyg wrote:
If you plan on doing much riding on this bike, you might consider changing the bars and stem...

Because of the age of the bar and stem? Or for some other reason?

Rick
Re: Super Course vs. Super Corsa - It's a Gran Tourisme 
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:51 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Rixtir wrote:
verktyg wrote:
If you plan on doing much riding on this bike, you might consider changing the bars and stem...

Because of the age of the bar and stem? Or for some other reason?
Rick

Rick,

Some of those old cast aluminum stems were really poorly made. They need to be carefully inspected and have a small modification done to them.

That stem is up at least an inch too high which makes the problem worse.

If you need a stem that high, Nitto makes forged aluminum stems made to handle those stresses. Google on Nitto Technomic and Technomic Deluxe models. They use standard 26mm diameter bars.

The Pivo bars were made of thin wall aluminum tubing. They tend to start sagging and after that can fail unexpectedly. They are an obsolete 25mm diameter.

Nitto bars are great too. Figure on $100-$120 for a good set of bars and stem.

If you are only going to ride it occasionally and only on smooth roads you can probably get by with what you have.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
Rixtir
Thanks Chas. I just checked my Gantour and it's an Atax bar.

But I'm pretty sure I have a Pivo bar on at least one of my Mot...er, one of my bikes. Probably some cast stems too. I'll have to check them when I get the chance. Another of my bikes showed up in pristine condition, but with a deep cut halfway into the bar. I had that bar replaced with a new Nitto bar right away.

Agree about the stem height (although that may be set that high for his uncle, rather than for him), when I got my Grantour, the previous owner had equipped it with a l-o-n-g hybrid stem to raise the bar height. It looked ridiculous, but at least it was safer than raising the Atax stem beyond it's limit. I put an Atax stem back on when i got the bike back on the road. I'll put up before and after photos on the forums soon.

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited by Rixtir on Sat May 22, 2010 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Re: Gitane Restoration Project - Need Help with ID, etc... 
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
Rixtir
MRussell wrote:
Hello Everyone,

First off, let me say I know next to nothing about road bikes. I recently decided to change that fact and took on a project to restore my late Uncle's Gitane road bike, thereby learning something about bikes and honoring my Uncle in the process. ...

Thanks!

Mike Russell

Beautiful Gran Tourisme! And really great project, honoring your uncle like that. Well done!

Rick
Thanks! 
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
MRussell
Thanks for the encouragement, Rick!

I've pretty much disassembled and cleaned everything but the crank set and bars. Having fun! I'll try to post more pictures soon.

Question: How to folks feel about stripping the original decals and possibly getting a new paint job? I see that Chas has admitted to removing some of the decals on his old bikes. Is it a sin? Of course this is all subjective - I should build the bike I want - but I'd like to know a collector's perspective on the issue.

Thanks again for all the great information. This is quite a forum.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Greenmachine
Welcome MRussell, I just joined the other day. Found a nice bike at an estate sale and im fixin her up.I 've been riding the bike alittle.I have'nt been on a bike in over 10 years and used to beach crusiers, with big fat tires and seats.... lol. I rasied my handle bar stem up alittle today, about an inch.Now i see people are talking about not running those stems... Shocked I plan on riding more and will have to check out those Nitto you guys were talking about. So it's really a good idea to get rid of those Pivo bars and stem?
Cast stems 
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Greetings,

Here's a good example of one of the really bad cast aluminum stems from the early 70s Bike Boom. This stem should have been thrown back in to be remelted and never have left the factory.

Notice the crack in the circled area. Also most of those marks in the quill are voids and casting flaws.

The stem in the above picture measured 22mm at the largest diameter near the bottom of the quill but 19mm in diameter near the crack at the top of the split!

Here's another stem showing a crack developing:

This is what happens when the crack continues:

The bottom of the stem breaks off and you are left holding the unattached bars. It happened to me 3 times back in the early 70s, once on one of my bikes and twice while road testing customer's bikes. Fortunately I was going slow enough and I was able to stop the bikes safely.

These cast stems have been called "death stems". Between the late 1940s and the late 1970s, millions of bikes were sold with cast aluminum stems like these. There were at least 10 other French manufacturers besides Pivo. The British and Italians produced them too.

They were not all bad. Most of the bad ones came at the height of the Bike Boom around 1971 and 1973.

A well made cast aluminum stem should be safe for occasional rides on smooth surfaces. Heavier riders on larger frames would be well advised to consider changing to a much stronger forged stem.

If you want to keep your bike all original, remove the stem and carefully clean it looking for any signs of cracking. If it doesn't look perfect, if the quill diameter isn't uniform the whole length, get rid of it.

Here is a little trick to help prevent cracks from forming at the top of the expander split. Drill, file or grind a small hole at the top of the split. This eliminates the stress riser caused by the small corners at the top of the split.

Stems should be inserted at least 2 1/2" to 3" (60mm to 80mm) into the steering tube. The bottom part of the stem that expands needs to be below the threaded area on the steering tube of the fork; otherwise it could cause the threads to split and break off and you'll be holding the detached bars.

Pivo aluminum alloy bars ((and other brands) had the reputation of sagging. When this happened one side of the bar could break off, possibly throwing the rider to the ground!

Bars bent like these, whatever brand, should not be ridden!

Enjoy, use common sense and ride safe!

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Gitane Restoration Project - Need Help with ID, etc... 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane