gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » New 1971 Gitane Super Corsa in the House Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
New 1971 Gitane Super Corsa in the House 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Okay, time to start a proper thread on this bike. I hijacked the “Gitane Super Corsa on SF Craigslist” thread, and it contains the photos sent to my by the seller of this bike. Jay was really helpful in that thread (really big thanks, Jay!), as were a number of other guys (more thanks!), but I guess I should create new one for this project.

This Super Corsa was actually on CL in Syracuse, NY. It was just listed as a “Gitane Road Bike, Full Campy.” The seller was the original owner. I think I’ve now had more than 10 telephone conversations with him, so I feel pretty confident about the providence. He rode it only a short time before it went into his rafters. He really wanted a Paramount and, once he got one, this bike got ignored. It’s fairly clear that the mileage is low. The brake pads are practically new. The brake hoods are rotted, but show zero wear.

He had it packed by a packer who does antiques for him. Although he used a hundred meters of bubble pack (okay, I exaggerate. But not much!), it arrived with the drop-out spacer screws on both sides are badly bent. I’m gonna hope that these are easy to replace? Yes?

It is also easy to see the serial #. Does this help confirm a year date?

I’ve already stripped it down to the frame, although these photos were taken just as I was beginning this process. The headset and crank set are still on. I don’t have a crank puller here. There’s definitely some serious oxidation, and I’m a little concerned with some rust pits, but they are, frankly, pretty minor. It’s already dark, so I’ll take better pictures of the naked frame in the light tomorrow.

I’m not sure if I should port all those photos from the “Gitane Super Corsa on SF Craigslist” thread here, or not. It’s an easy flip, but I’ll do it if anyone wants.

The shots here are a couple snaps taken as I began the strip down.

More to come.

All advice, comments and suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,

Owen
[/b]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Nice bike - was the patina around the lugs done by the owner or did he buy it that way?

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Owen,

Lovely machine and photos. Dropout adjuster screws are readily available but be sure that you get the right ones for your dropouts.

Look forward to seeing the progress.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:25 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
It seems the pinstripe detail of blue is original. Up close, I hate it. At 5 feet, I don't notice it. The guys in the factory had extra bottles of wine that day, for sure.

Tim, any suggestions for finding these screws?

I'm gonna presume that the headset and bottom bracket are French threaded, but would these dropouts have a standard or specific threading?

The parts are filthy, as are the wheels. Basic parts cleaning begins today.

Owen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:07 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Owen,

I just did a quick search and found these;

http://tinyurl.com/2whcu7g

http://tinyurl.com/3xzrgd7

http://tinyurl.com/32afz4x

I suggest measuring the length of the ones you have in order to get the correct replacements. I'm not sure of the precise thread count (perhaps they're standard). They are items that I have never needed to purchase or replace. It's worth asking before you order, or perhaps other forum members might help out here and even for further sources for purchase.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:37 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The blue striping around the lugs is not original. That was done by someone after they purchased the bike. I don't think they finished the lug lining around the fork crown, nor did they remove the cable guides when doing it (it appears). They also got their hands in it, and smudged part of the frame. Gitane lugs were outlined with very thin gold paint. Look for it around the fork crown: It appears that some is still visible under or around the blue paint. Also, the top of the seat lug would not have been painted with the lug-lining: It should be plain white (from the factory).

The rear derailleur will have standard threading. No worries there.

that bike will clean up beautifully, because it appears to be (mostly) surface rust. Also, the Campagnolo Nuovo Record components include a lot of steel, like the headset cups. All of the rust will come right off of those, and they will look like new (steel or copper wool, whatever your fancy, like we discussed in the last thread). The bottom bracket cup and lock ring will clean up the same, as will the cable guides.

If you are removing the cable guides, be careful...or ready to buy new ones, which are available on ebay. They break easily on removal, or the chrome cracks off. My suggestion is to leave it on, but loosen it up and move it up the down tube if you are attempting to remove the blue lug striping or at least clean it up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:27 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Tim, Thanks for the links. I'll remove the screws there and do a bit of measuring (or macro photos).

Stephan, You are absolutely correct. My first thought is the original owner got high and, shall we say, inspired. He stammered when I first asked. Now it is pretty clear that's exactly what happened. Here's a two-fer photo: It shows the original detail AND the rust on the BB shell.

I'll run to my LBS to pull the crank. I have no French threaded (or any other) crank puller.

Big question: Should I just replace the BB with a sealed unit? Are they so much better than I should just do it? Or is old-skool sufficiently important here?

Actually, in a couple weeks, when I take the family on a drive to middle USA (Kansas), I'll be able to dig into storage and find, I think, a 1983 titanium spindle and BB set, along with a 1983 NR crank set, both still NIB. OTOH, I might just clean these up and save that for an orphan frame in the future!

Next: The freewheel.

Obviously, I haven't pulled it nor even begun a cleaning. It's a French-made Atom. Clean, lub and use? Replace? BUT, sizing things have changed a lot. What would fit? I presume it, too is French threaded?

The Wheels: tubulars / sew-ups

Sigh. Ain't no way I can go back there. Is there a market for either these rims or the wheel set? This entire arena stumps me.

Original tires, no less. I don't have a pump to test 'em, but I've no doubt they're dead. Whatever, they're dead to ME, that's for sure!

Step at a time. As you can see, I have already removed all the clips and cable guides. I think I did okay. I think I worried more about scratch the paint (duuh), but didn't see to damage any of the guides. All the dirty parts are in small boxes awaiting their turn at cleaning.

Having been overseas almost 30 years, I am a virtual Rip van Winkle, especially in this terrain. I thank each of you for your patience with my unending questions. Seriously. Thank you.

Owen
Green with Envy 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Owen, congratulations on scoring a vintage S.C. --- With a bit and patience and time-elbow grease this will clean up nicely---The frame & finish appear to be in great shape. I believe you will really enjoy the ride-handling characteristics of this Gitane frame. I really like my '73 Paramount P-13---but after refurbishing my '70 TdeF---I would rather spend more time on the saddle of the Gitane. The P-13 really handles more like a sports car. The Gitane handling is more forgiving - comfortable over distance. The Paramount was great back in the days when I was more of a kamikaze bike racer.

One possible option: 2 wheelsets, relatively inexpensive Vittoria Rally Tubulars (I really like the lightweight -quick rotational acceleration-and handling - road feel of the sew-ups on my '70 TdeF & '71 Interclub and the '87 Victoire). 2nd Clincher wheelset for training or day to day riding ( Campy narrow and large flange hubs and various Mavic rims occasionally pop up on Ebay--that could be set up.) Additional expense in the future to do so. I've had great success with the Tufo "extreme" sealant product when I've encountered a puncture---short of a blow-out---on my Vittoria tubulars (thanks to Chas a few years ago for bringing that product to my attention)

I just would encourage you to "hang on to the original wheelsets" just in case you should someday decide to part with this vintage cycle.

By the way, this white S.C. would look great next to my white original '71 Interclub, and my white '72 TdeF, ----and the frame size is correct---- Wink

I like Steel !!!!!

C.A.
Salina, Ks.

'70 TdeF
'71 Interclub
'72 Interclub
'72 TdeF
'73 TdeF
'72-'73??? S.C. in the wings
'86 Performance
'87 Victoire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
(1) The rust on the BB should be removed, and then use some white touch-up paint. The good news is that you don't ever see that area, so only you will know that it is there!

(2) Buy a crank-arm puller. they are cheap...but make sure it is for a tapered bottom bracket, and not one of the new style types. The threads are standard on the crank arms, not French.

(3) The freewheel may be a problem to find the correct remover. Might have to find a good bike shop to get the right size. Call around and if they stammer when you mention the brand...move on to the next one! No need to replace, just make sure you buy a 5-speed chain. DEFINITELY CLEAN, LUBE, AND RE-USE!

(4) Sew ups are actually pretty fun, once you get into the right mindset for it. I just started repairing them, and it is actually very relaxing and makes you feel "old school" and artisan-like. it isn't very difficult either, just takes some time. But those are done. Toss them and clean the rims of a bunch of the old glue. There are tons of guides online on how to do that.

(5) DO NOT replace that Bottom bracket! Just remove the stuff, clean, and put it back together. You will never get a better one than the Campagnolo one you have on there, so don't even think about it. On second thought...buy the new sealed unit, and send the "old piece of junk" to me! Wink

You have a lot of work, but loads of fun ahead of you. I am green with envy!

I think I got most of it...now to tend to my old dog....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:36 am Reply with quote
drummer5
Nice! I remember seeing that one on CL(I'm in Syracuse) it's great to see someone here was able to pick it up! I would have done so myself, but I already have too many bikes and not enough money.

Looks better already with the frame cleaned, can't wait to hear a ride report when you get everything back together!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Owen,
Take some good clear photos of the Brake calipers and levers. This can help confirm dating of the bike. Also, there may be a Patent date on top of the rear derailleur.

For some reason there are GB handle bars (British) on this bike. It may be possible the owner switched them at some point. I can't imagine them being original on a French Gitane, but who knows.

High quality reproduction Campy hoods for the brake levers are available.

To echo others...KEEP the original wheel set or at least rebuild the original Record hubs with clincher rims.

A good wash, wax and metal of your choice wool will do wonders.

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
scozim
By all means keep the original wheelset. I resisted tubulars for years and started riding them last year and love it. I just picked up one of those rims with a Normandy Luxe Competition hub for free from behind my local bike shop (just needs an axle) and am not planning on getting rid of it any time soon.

That will be one beautiful bike when you're done with it.

Scott

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Owen,
It appears, from your photo, that there may also be a date code engraved to the right of the Mavic decal on the rim.

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Gentlemen:

My continued thanks. Without you, I wouldn’t document this very well. I’d just muddle thru and then later wish I had.

I did get this off the Syracuse CL, but I’m in Vienna, Va. He listed his phone # and I called. I paid with zero recourse, meaning he could have taken the $ and walked, but our phone conversations convinced me he’d deliver. He did. We even spoke again today.

To SmilingRoadRunner, I hope you answer my pm, as Kansas is my original home. I’ll be driving to Kansas with my family in about 10 days. If you really, really like these wheels, and have a set to swap me built on Campy hubs, I’ll bring them to you in Salina, Kansas, to swap!!!

I have zero storage space here, and 90% of our household is in a storage facility. We’re perched in a small flat as we figure out a new life in the USA. Keeping spare wheel sets is not an option in our tiny flat. As is, the two new bikes are in the small living room! I’m testing my wife’s limits…

I rode sew-ups on my original Gitane in the 70’s. When I took it with me to grad school in Hawaii in 1976, I swapped to clinchers and haven’t looked back. I do not see me doing sew-ups again. I know they’re cool, ride fabulously, but can’t do requisite maintenance with my tiny household set-up and other family demands.

So, it think I’ll be taking these wheels apart and rebuilding the hubs. The LBS said that, even among “period correct” riders, there is little demand for the stock Mavic rims on these wheels. Anybody professing interest would probably just be after the hubs. I like the hubs, of course.

He suggested rebuilding these hubs with Sun M13-2 rims, with DT competition DB spokes, as a practical solution. Better/other suggestions?

The crank is off. Big surprise: the inner ring is a 47 Sugino. Go figure. The original owner is shocked. We keep chatting, having struck up a friendly banter. I want to change it to a 42, but will not be worried about finding a NOS Campy. Not worth it when it’s invisible, anyway. Curious, tho. His bike shop overcharged him (original price to him was $600, when it was going for $450 at the time, too), and bait-&-switched, too.

(Photo taken before crank came off.)

BB removal was a bear! I’ve started this project with zero tools, so keep making runs to get only what I HAVE to have (until I get to Kansas and dig out old bike tools and parts from storage). I would really love a proper work stand, but can’t justify expense and have no space in any event. I couldn’t loosen the BB without a vise, so I gave up and went to LBS just to loosen it. He only loosened it. (We were chatting.) I finished taking it out at home, but even that was tough going! The LBS guy told me to leave the fixed cup in, but I don’t think I can clean it very well without removing it. BUT, I have no BB wrench. sigh. Should I leave it? Or remove?

The spindle and bearings look excellent. As expected with practically zero miles. Need to be cleaned and re-greased, but otherwise appear perfect.

I actually have a NIB Campy Record Crank set and Super Record titanium spindle BB set in my storage in Kansas. I bought them on a trip to Italy in 1983, when the Lira was in the toilet (okay, it’s always in the toilet, but it was really deep down in there that year). As I had my 1981 Tom Ritchey with me in Thailand, these purchases went into boxes for “someday” use. These are fine, tho, so I think I’ll just clean ‘em up and use.

Here are some shots of the protective sleeve inside the BB. Are these easily replaced? I would presume, but hadn’t thought to ask until I saw it. I haven’t pulled it out, but presume I’ll want to do that. Yes?

The Freewheel IS a problem. The LBS guy handed me a removal plug/tool, but to test it, let alone use it, I gotta get the wheel nut off. And, boy!, is it tight. I’ve bent a cheap pair of Spin Doctor cone wrenches trying. No further progress at the moment.

JAY! Ask, and ye shall receive. Lots of component photos.

Where is a source for repro brake hoods. These are total rot.

And what eyes on the rims! Not sure if that’s a date or an item #. It looks like “02 71” or “07 71”.

But the derailleur is clear: 1971. Which is perfect, as my TdF is a 71. I now have a set.

Okay, now just a bunch of superfluous photos of the front derailleur, brakes and levers. Just for fun. Obviously, zero cleaning has taken place, yet. These constitute the Before shots!

THe brake pads are practically unused!

The handlebars are curious. I’ll ask the guy next time we talk. I also looked at them and wondered. I haven’t begun the cleaning job on them, other than to remove the old sky blue tape. WHICH, it turns out, was the reason for the blue detailing. The original owner fess’d up to painting the blue detailing to match the new sky blue handlebar tape he’d put on. I asked him just how stoned he was. He laughed. Up close, it’s ugly. But from a few feet you don’t notice. I’m not sure what I’ll do about that…

Serious degreasing of components is next, then the steel wool.

I'm not sure if I should wait for yet another day to ask about this: Inside the tubes: In the head tube, there is some surface rust. I'll assume the seat tube would also have some. It crossed my mind to get a shotgun cleaning rod with a brass bristle plug. Not sure what gauge ?!?! (No shotguns in the house to compare with. Anyone?)

BUT, would that be good? Then followed with what? I don't see serious damage, but I just wonder if one should do it/something while the frame is naked? Advice and comments, of course, eagerly awaited.

Really, really long. But I'll hope it is entertaining.

Progress is afoot! I really do value all the advice. Clearly, I need it!

Thanks,

Owen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
LeicaLad
07 71 = July 1971.

Duuuh.
New 1971 Gitane Super Corsa in the House 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane