gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » My beautiful Gitane needs some further specs infos! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:20 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Not having the second radius washer/spacer in front of the nut may have caused this.

Jay

Last edited by greyhundguy on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:59 am Reply with quote
Muchocapucho
I didnt realize that! There is no second radius washer/spacer. Do you think both sides are equal to fit a spacer? The side without the spacer seems to be different - well, because it has changed after tightening the srew, who knows?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
verktyg
greyhundguy wrote:
Muchocapucho,
Well, it does have the typical seam AND appears that the brake mounting bolt was overtightened causing it to crimp/bend/dent inward.
Jay

Jay's correct on both answers.

Many rear brakes were set up to use 2 radius washers as Jay's picture shows.

This is the rear view of a set of Galli brakes. It appears that the rear brake mounting bolt is short. It was probably intended for use on a frame with a flat washer brazed onto the rear brake bridge like in the picture below.

Later style brakes used hollow recessed fasteners. They had short brake mounting bolts too.

In the US we have a saying: "If it ain't broke - don't fix it!"

I recommend that you don't do anything with the rear brake. It should work well for years.

ne le touchez pas Wink

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
Muchocapucho
Yes, he rear brake mounting bolt is short. And since nothing aint broken, theres no reason to fix, like you said, except putting a radius spacer in between in the near future.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Muchocapucho wrote:
Yes, he rear brake mounting bolt is short. And since nothing aint broken, theres no reason to fix, like you said, except putting a radius spacer in between in the near future.

ne touche pas!

The brake bridges were made of cheap sheet metal rolled into a tube shape.

There are probably not enough threads on the mounting bolt to add a radius spacer plus you would need to reshape the brake bridge so the spacer would fit. This could cause the metal to crack or break. I've seen it happen before.

It's best to leave it as it is!

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:32 am Reply with quote
Muchocapucho
I will not fix or change it!

verktyg wrote:
The brake bridges were made of cheap sheet metal rolled into a tube shape.

I thought its all 531 Reynolds?
Quote:
Bicycle Tubes 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Muchocapucho wrote:
I thought its all 531 Reynolds?

An "all Reynolds 531" frame would have 11 tubes made of 531 tubing:

2 fork blades
1 top tube
1 down tube
1 seat tube
2 seat stays
2 chain stays
1 head tube
1 fork steering tube

Many production bikes made of Reynolds 531 tubing, especially those made in France used only 9 Reynolds 531 tubes.

They frequently used head tubes made of cheap seamed tubing. Since the failure rate for head tubes was not very high this was insignificant.

However many French bikes used cheap steering tubes. Gitane used Nervor brand butted steering tubes.

Some brands, Peugeot and Motobecane in particular used straight gage pipe with a split sleeve brazed into the bottom of the tube in the fork crown area.

This picture of a Peugeot U0-8 fork shows the sleeve. Note the seams in the fork blades. They were made of rolled sheet metal that was brazed at the seam instead of using tubing for their fork blades on lower priced models! How many centimes did that save!

I discovered the seams in Peugeot fork blades the first time I tried to straighten a bent Peugeot fork. The seams split like a banana peel showing the brazed construction!

Reynolds sold 1/2" x 6" or 24" long tubes for use as brake bridges and chainstay bridges but not many manufacturers spent the extra money. They used cheap alternatives instead like the rolled brake bridge on your bike.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Blue one 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Hi, as I mentioned, blue ones come up regularly for sale in France.

Not bad for $100. But maybe the rear 8 cog spreads the stays?

Dan

http://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbies/129238208.htm?ca=7_s
Re: Blue one 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
Muchocapucho
Frenchbuilt wrote:
Hi, as I mentioned, blue ones come up regularly for sale in France.

Not bad for $100. But maybe the rear 8 cog spreads the stays?

Dan

http://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbies/129238208.htm?ca=7_s

Hi,

what do you mean by "rear 8 cog"? I dont understand the expression (i am german).
What I always called it 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Sorry, it was my old term for the rear freewheel sprocket cluster. This one in the ad appears to have a 8 sprocket freewheel or 8 rear speeds. Gitanes from the year of yours and my bike were 5 or 6 speeds so 5 or 6 sprockets on the freewheel.

From what I have read on the site, newer freewheels with more than 6 sprockets/speeds need the rear stays to be spread open to fit the extra width.

Check site for more clear and accurate information. Dan
Re: What I always called it 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:43 am Reply with quote
Muchocapucho
Frenchbuilt wrote:
Sorry, it was my old term for the rear freewheel sprocket cluster. This one in the ad appears to have a 8 sprocket freewheel or 8 rear speeds. Gitanes from the year of yours and my bike were 5 or 6 speeds so 5 or 6 sprockets on the freewheel.

From what I have read on the site, newer freewheels with more than 6 sprockets/speeds need the rear stays to be spread open to fit the extra width.

Check site for more clear and accurate information. Dan

Mine Gitane is a 6 speed.

Concerning the rear Derailleur that you see on the Foto, which i unfortunately sold because of a problem with the top bolt/spring after I disassambled it for cleaning/lubing it: do you know where I can get this model, cause I couldnt find one, for weeks, neither at ebay nor anywhere else? It is the Simplex Super LJ 5000 (5500 is okay too!) and it fits perfectly to my Gitane. There also Spidel, Peugeot or Gipiemmme labelled der which are the same.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:06 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
These turn up on a fairly regular basis on eBay US and France. Here are two listed now. I think the US seller will ship to Europe but you will need to ask him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Simplex-Gipiemme-Super-LJ-5500-Rear-Derailleur-/110556291897?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Classic-Spidel-Rear-Mech-Simplex-Super-LJ-5500-/140436406867?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item20b2a98253

The SLJ models you list will usually bring good prices depending on condition as you can see. They are some of the best and most desirable of the Simplex RD's.

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:34 am Reply with quote
Muchocapucho
Hi Jay,

well I saw both items on ebay, but I tend to look after the 5000 model first, because it is completely made of metal around the bolts, the 5500 has got a sort of plastic caps around the bolts, the bolts themselves are also different form the ones from my model (well, not mine anymore cause I sold the rear derailleur including the front derailleur in perfect condition and the shifters as I was running crazy during the effort to install the stupid bolt, which I couldnt manage. So I sold all three items for 35 Euro. Two days later I realized, after some research in need of a new set, that the same set would bring at least 100 Euro!)

I'd rather prefer the spidel than the gipiemme labelled one, so if theres a 5000 spidel somewhere, please let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Sorry but I don't have much in the way of derailleurs but:

I have bought several derailleurs from the UK ebay seller listed above. Very nice pieces and excellent packing and service.

Dan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote
bowser
the super lj rear mechs always seem to bring a high premium on e bay
i have bid on a few myself there always seems to be someone with a "snipe" tracker on these as i have lost out in last seconds they are obviously desireable items! i have fit an early shimano 600 ex rear mech on my team pro as a sub till i find a decent simplex / spidel replacement
actually the shimano works very nicely i got it for a steal stripped it and cleaned it up so looks ok but unforunatley not to the gitane spec for my model
My beautiful Gitane needs some further specs infos! 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane