gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1987 Team Pro Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:24 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
It thought the team pro was a "Criterium". Regarding the touring frame...I have one of those in great shape, which I built as a cross bike, but haven't actually used yet off road. Chas...how do you think it will hold up? Nothing too radical - I built it to ride on dirt roads in Utah (nothing technical).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:54 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Anyone...did I miss something on Ebay? Surprising, really...but I thought in the last few weeks that the "main items of interest" were the following:

Circa 1984 Tour de France (red)
Circa 1983 Criterium (blue)

I missed another team pro at $249??? Anyone have the item number or link???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote
lofter
sandman ,todays the day to recieve the bike right?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I spoke with the seller's wife last night. She is mailing it today...so hopefully I will have it by Friday.

In unrelated news, I may have a line on some NOS Gitane decals from circa 1984. If nothing else, I will be able to use them to create a perfect scan so that we can have them made.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
It thought the team pro was a "Criterium". Regarding the touring frame...I have one of those in great shape, which I built as a cross bike, but haven't actually used yet off road. Chas...how do you think it will hold up? Nothing too radical - I built it to ride on dirt roads in Utah (nothing technical).

I'm no expert on post 1976 Gitanes. I'm just going by what I've seen here and other places on the web.

Aside from different grades of components, the top model "Pro" quality Gitanes from ~1983 to ~1988 all seem to have the same frame geometry just differences in the tubing used and details like color, decals, chrome forks and left rear stays.

The top frames were made of Columbus and Reynolds 531SL or 753 while the lesser models like Super Corsa and TdF used Super Vitus and Reynolds 531C or 501 tubing.

They all seem to be pretty nice bikes and if they ride and handle like my 1984? Super Vitus 983 Super Corsa, the components wont matter too much.

Back in the days of the foil decals, they were pretty fragile and the bikes came poorly boxed. Replacement decals were easy to get from Mel Pinto and Gitane Pacific. We had a box full of them including the post foil versions that were green or yellow on clear plastic backing.

Sometime in the mid 1970s we bought a large shipment of bare Gitane Gran Sport frames in the post 1974 colors. There were a few Interclub and TdFs frames available also. I don't know if these were for warranty replacements or they were coming into the US as bare frames and being assembled here. We had Gitane decals coming out of our ears.

The suggestion is that some bikes showing up for sale today may not be what they portend to be. That blue bike from French eBay looks like a Gran Sport frame to me.

As far as off road riding goes, we started riding our racing bikes with sewups off road in the mountains of Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado sometime around 1976. Some of the guys switched to their beater bikes while others rode true cyclocross bikes with long wheelbases, relaxed angles and cantilever brakes.

After a number of months of riding off road I had a clear idea of what I wanted in a frame. On Saturday afternoon I thew together a Vitus 172 lugged 700c "Mountain Bike" frame and assembled it that evening. The primer was still a little tacky the next morning when we headed for the mountains.

I used Cyclocross sewups for dirt trails and 700 x 35c clinchers for rocks. They were the biggest tires we could get at the time.

The Gitane Touring frame should work out fine. Use 14 gage spokes front and rear.

Chas.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:14 am Reply with quote
lofter
most team pros have the number tab on them . this one didnt tho .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
lofter
sandranian wrote:
Anyone...did I miss something on Ebay? Surprising, really...but I thought in the last few weeks that the "main items of interest" were the following:

Circa 1984 Tour de France (red)
Circa 1983 Criterium (blue)

I missed another team pro at $249??? Anyone have the item number or link???

no he first posted it as a team pro then a corsa then a critierium. if it would have been a team pro Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I was going to say...how the heck did I miss THAT one? I got a tracking number for my team pro.... How long does UPS ground usually take???

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
lofter
how far away?maybe tommorow if not definately monday

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
8 hours by car....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Chas:

Thanks for posting that picture of you back in 1977...by the way, which one is you, anyhow??? That is seriously a great pic!

1977 Model Chas 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Yeah, thanks for making me feel young again Chas. 77, huh? Star Wars hadn't been released. People thought that 9kg was pretty light for a bike, and I was in kindergarten.........

...........ah, it's a good day. Oh, you're a bit older than that aren't you?

...........................sorry.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Seriously, I kinda feel like I missed something growing up in the 80's. Everything bike related that I grew up with was mass produced and mass-marketed. You guys were pioneers, trying new things out, breaking them, trying again etc, etc, etc. No-one does that anymore. Except maybe Graeme O'Bree, and look at what they did to him...

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
Chas:

Thanks for posting that picture of you back in 1977...by the way, which one is you, anyhow??? That is seriously a great pic!

Thanks Steve,

I'm standing on the log. We were all laughing because our friend had just come up the hill and got a stick caught in his front wheel.

We figured on 25 miles a day when we were climbing 2000-4000 feet of off road riding. We could have ridden further but we wanted a safety margin in case someone got hurt or trashed their bike.

Here's a better view of the area we were riding.

It's called Tent Rocks and it's on the slopes Valle Grande an extinct volcanic caldera reaching up to 11,254 feet (3400M).

http://www.vallescaldera.gov/comevisit/

The area was very remote back in the 1970s but it's been turned into a US National Preserve.

Chas.
Re: 1977 Model Chas 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Paul Wiseman wrote:
Yeah, thanks for making me feel young again Chas. 77, huh?

...........ah, it's a good day. Oh, you're a bit older than that aren't you?

I was 33 when that picture was taken.

My friends and I got tired of road racing because between the super fast Veterans (over 40) and killer Juniors, us 30+ year old Seniors got left in the dust.

People thought we were crazy - ridding bikes in the mountains....

I have a collection of 1970-1980 bikes. At 63 riding is still one of the joys in life.

Chas.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
8 hours by car....

UPS is 1-2 working days from NorCal to SoCal. USPS delivers on Saturday and they claim 2-3 days for delivery.

Good luck....

Take the 15 to the 10 to the 210 to the 5..... Razz

Chas.
1987 Team Pro 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane