gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Tubular tire experts - I have a question Goto page Previous  1, 2
Re: Arc en Ciel rims 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:36 am Reply with quote
Gtane
verktyg wrote:
I got the black anodized Super Champion Arc en Ciel rims NOS from France. They're going on my red 1992 Paramount. It has all black components. I have a set of black clincher rim wheels on it now. Who says Chas. can't succumb to bike vanity? Laughing

Arc en Ciel rims were always my favorites. I have a silver anodized pair of NOS Wolber Arc en Ciel rims. I'm going to mount them on some Campy NR hubs and put them on one of my Gitanes. Somehow the Woblers are not quite the same without the rainbow decals used on the Super Champs. Sad

Chas.

Great project Chas. I really enjoy wheel building, and as for vanity, well, that's purely, and will always be, down to personal choice. Go for it.

I've rarely seen Arc en Ciel rims come up in NOS condition but they're all over the place in my old catalogues. I plumped for GP4s back then, as many did. My other dream rims were Mavic Blues but I never got those either (expensive). In later life I purchased a pair of Ambrosio Nemesis on C Record (1993) and they're amazing.

My next purchase will be a Tardis.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Paul Wiseman wrote:

1. Stick on tapes for tubulars. DON'T DO IT!. I've seen a few brands over the years, and none of them have been good. Tyres roll off at the most inconvenient of times. Which is usually mid-corner Crying or Very sad . Glue, glue, glue.

Back in the day, I think it was Velox rim tape that came with every sewup equipped Gitane. We never touched the stuff just threw it away.

Paul Wiseman wrote:

2. Glue. Haven't been able to get Clement for a good long while. Vittoria is junk. Continental is super as fas as I am concerned. I am very patient and put 4 very thin layers on rim and tyre each with one more slippery coat just before putting tyre to rim. They are a bit of a bugger to get off if you do have a flat, but not impossible. Here in Australia we have heat, so it is important to know that when the glue softens up (normal), there is enough of it to keep the tyre secure. I have no idea how Continental glue performs in really cold temps. We just dont get near freezing here.

I'll be nice and wont say any thing bad about Clement "RUDA GOUDA".... Nasty stuff! Evil or Very Mad

I knew a few guys who would put on a layer of Tubasti on their rims and let it dry then put Clement on top of it and mount their tires. What a mess!

Back in the day Tubasti and Clement were the only rim cements commonly available. We imported the Pastali ourselves. It held up better than the other two in the mountains and high deserts of the US Southwest. I never worried about Pastali overheating even on long descents in the summer with a bike load of touring gear.

Rain, snow or cold weather had no effect on Pastali either. Changed a tire in the pouring rain once and never bothered re-gluing it when I got home. Pastali remained that sticky! Cool

A while back I pulled some old tires off of my cyclocross wheels that I had glued on in 1978! The Pastali while no longer tacky was still pliant. Wink

At the shop we'd put on about a half tube of Pastali on each wheel, let it set up for 10-15 minutes and then mount the tires. We test rode bikes shortly after mounting the tires. Today I'd recommend letting them sit overnight.

I tried some Vittoria rim cement on a set of wheels last year. It hardens up and acts like glue. I fear I'm going to have a bear of a time getting the tires off when I need too. I'm carrying a tube of Pastali wrapped up with my spare just in case.

Paul Wiseman wrote:

4. If you want a tubular like feel without the expense, try Continental GP4000 in a 25mm. Supple and sticky, smooth and fast. Conti Gatorskin is a bit cheaper and almost as good. But get the 25's. The bag out to about the size and shape of a 23mm tubular.

I found that Panaracer Pasela TG 700 x 25c and 700 x 28c clinchers have a nice bouncy, skippy feel like the old larger diameter sewups I used to ride (nothing matches a sewup though).

I also like Continental 700 x 23c Grand Prix tires, the older discontinued style - brown sidewalls of course!

They have a much harder ride than sewups or the Panaracers but great traction, wear and so far puncture resistance. I bought at least a dozen of them at a great price at a closeout sale.

Chas. The "master"? No, just old! Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Ok Chas,
Based on your description and glowing report I just picked up three tubes of Pastali. I'll wait for my dad to bring me his extra tubulars to try it out.

Scott

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Tubulars 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
I used to be a fan of tubulars until one long steep descent down a mountain, I reached the bottom, only to have my entire front tire literally roll/peal off the front rim. I think it was a combination of air pressure change, heat/friction on some tight braking on descents, or some other chemical issue with the glue as they were mounted with the utmost of care. Anytime I see a thread on the use of tubulars, my first reaction is go clincher, or use the new tubular clinchers and leave the tubulars to those who weigh 150lbs and race for a living.
Sewups... 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Tubulars are not for the faint of heart! Twisted Evil

That said, I never had a problem descending off of 10-12,000k passes in hot weather in the southern Rockies using Pastali rim cement.

Clement and Tubasti rim cement would soften up and the only 2 sewup tires I've seen roll off where in the same race and almost the same hairpin corner. Both riders were using Clement GUDA RUDA! Rolling Eyes

It also could be that the brake blocks that we were using back in the day weren't as efficient and didn't create as much heat as those available today. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Tubulars are like a few other things in life, if you have some sewup wheels you might as well try them - at least once. Confused

Legal disclaimer: the above statements are not to be construed as suggestions or recommendations, just my opinions and experiences. YMMV

Chas. Wink
Tubular tire experts - I have a question 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane