gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » My beautiful Gitane needs some further specs infos! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Muchocapucho
I live in europe, and this is auction is from us, i dont know if the seller ships abroad, if yes, the shipping costs are definitely around 30 Dollar, nevertheless its great that the pedals are included! But the price is already very high, wouldnt have expected such old cranksets to be so expensive.

There is another auction from France with a stronglight 49D crankset. Do you know anything about this line? It seems to be vintage too, maybe from the 70s.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
The Stronglight 49, 93, 99/99 bis, and 105/105 bis would be suitable for your bike. Even though they are vintage they a sought after all over the World so you can expect to pay $50. to $100+ USD or more, even from Europe. It will all depend on condition.

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
If you are looking at this one it is French thread for pedals.
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ancien-pedalier-STRONGLIGHT-49D-/330461599164?pt=FR_JG_Sports_Cyclisme_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Here is the Stronglight timeline...

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/components/stronglight-timeline-comp.html

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Muchocapucho
Thanks a lot Jay.
First I will look after some french lyotard pedals. If i dont find them i will consider to change the crankset, since the french threading is not so widespread and a replacement set of pedals harder to find than 16/9 thread.

Fortunately i have found a Simplex Super LJ 5000 der, that was very important. The next step will be finding the front der of that line. This both is more urgent than my currently pedals, which are working fine, they really are in a great condtition, except the fact that i always keep sliding off the pedals, cause one side of each pedal has the middle part is curved too much so that the foot rests on it and not on the outer metal cage of the pedal. Do you understand what i mean? Its difficult to descirbe as a non native speaker.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
They are made to ride on the flat side. Put a pair of toe clips and straps on them and you should be fine.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
verktyg
It's quite possible that the Sugino cranks were original equipment on your bike especially since they were threaded for M14 metric pedals for the French market.

Sugino was probably the first company to produce Campagnolo knockoff cranks. While the quality is not quite as good as Campy it's certainly equal to Stronglight.

First version Sugino Mighty Competition cranks.

These are the later model deluxe version Sugino Mighty Competition cranks with the cutouts in the chainring spider and drilled chainrings.

Gitane used Sugino Mighty Competition cranks on the Tour de France bikes during 1973 and 74. Probably because of a shortage of Stronglight model 93 cranks at the peak of the bike boom.

Raleigh and Peugeot used Stronglight model 93 cranks too and maybe had more influence with Stronglight.

I've seen pictures of a few post 1974 Gitane bikes with Sugino Mighty Competition cranks so it's possible that they may been used on occasion as late as 1976.

Stronglight model 93 cranks were introduced in 1967 as the top of the line model.

About 1975 Stronglight replaced the model 93 cranks with their new model 105 and 105bis (bis had drilled chainrings. They had an anodized finish rather than just polished like the model 93 cranks. Note, this is a 1st generation Stronglight 105bis but it's marked Spidel.

In 1974 Stronglight introduced a new model crankset, the model 99. It could use a chainring as small at 28T. These were not well accepted by the sporting/racing set because they were viewed as "touring" cranks and there was concern the the chainrings would be too flexible.

The original model 99 cranks were polished and had sharp corners just like the model 93 cranks.

In the late 70s Stronglight brought out a second version model 99 crankset. They had rounded edges on the arms and were anodized. The newer style model 99 was not as nicely made as the original version. They were designed to complete with the Japanese made SR and other brands for midrange bikes.

In 1975, a number of better quality French bikes such as the Peugeot PX-10 and Bertin C37 came with Stronglight 99 cranks. These models had previously been equipped with Stronglight 93 cranks. As I mentioned, they were not well received.

I suspect that Stronglight was having delivery problems with the new model 105 cranks and had already stopped producing the model 93 cranks so they got the bike makers to use the model 99 cranks in the interim. The delivery problems may had been due to anodizing issues.

Stronglight model 49D cranks went back to at least the late 1940s. By the late 1960s they had become Stronglight's economy model cranks used on midrange bikes. The model 49 cranks could use TA chainrings giving them a 26T small chainring.

I don't recall Gitane using model 49 cranks beyond the mid 60s. As I mentioned above, the model 93 cranks were their premium model cranks until the 105s came out.

If you are looking to make your bike look original, the model 49D cranks would not be period correct for your model.

Last edited by verktyg on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: Stronglight Cranks 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
verktyg wrote:
It's quite possible that the Sugino cranks were original equipment on your bike especially since they were threaded for M14 metric pedals for the French market....
...If you are looking to make your bike look original, the model 49D cranks would be period correct for your model.

Chas.,
It was stated in your post that the 49D was not used after the 60's.
Would you mean the Model 93 here as found on my 1976 TdF and many upper end Gitanes from the 70's?

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
verktyg
greyhundguy wrote:
verktyg wrote:
It's quite possible that the Sugino cranks were original equipment on your bike especially since they were threaded for M14 metric pedals for the French market....
...If you are looking to make your bike look original, the model 49D cranks would be period correct for your model.

Chas.,
It was stated in your post that the 49D was not used after the 60's.
Would you mean the Model 93 here as found on my 1976 TdF and many upper end Gitanes from the 70's?

Jay

If you are looking to make your bike look original, the model 49D cranks would not be period correct for your model.

When Gitane switched to the plastic yellow or green decals in 1974, they went back to the Stronglight 93 cranks on the TdFs. They used these through 1976.

The 1978 Gitane catalog shows the Nation and Super Sprint models with Sugino Mighty Competition cranks.

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1978_pg4.jpg

Last edited by verktyg on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Chas.,
OK, that makes sense with your edit.

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Jay

In 1975 I switched from Campagnolo Nuovo Record to Stronglight model 93 cranks. Why? They shifted better because of the shape of the teeth on the chainrings! There is also the possibility of switching to a 38T small chainring (I even have a few of the rare 37T rings).

Since I was running a bike shop I was able to try out most of the components that were available back then.

I also switched from Campy NR to Suntour Cyclone derailleurs for the same reason and Weinmann Carrera Brakes because the STOPPED better.

What's wrong with this picture?

Nothing!

This is my 1975 Raleigh Pro. I got the frame about 4 years ago and was building it up as an all Campy vanity bike - my first all Campy bike since my 1978 Colnago was stolen in 1982!

I was anxious to take it out for a ride and didn't have the proper Campy bottom bracket so I put on a set of Stronglight 93 cranks instead.

I rather enjoy the "in your faceness" of these cranks when viewed by an all Campy aficionado! Twisted Evil

I have 5 pre 1980 bikes with Stronglight 93 cranks plus 4 post 1980 ones with 105bis cranks.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
My beautiful Gitane needs some further specs infos! 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane