gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » A new member with a cool gitane Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
vanhelmont wrote:
The sound form a Chorus gruppo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS8KdQi1GRk

Chas, if you still had your Cyclone derailleur, you might hear this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbsrYkBpGr0

They left out the stanza "mani al cielo".... Laughing

I have an NOS set of Cyclone front and rear derailleurs plus shift levers. After hearing that youtube bit, they are going on eBay pronto (or hyacko)! Wink

Chas.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Paul Wiseman wrote:
Speaking of TT bikes, has anyone seen this before?

Wisey,

Now, that's a very tight machine but would say that is was reasonably comfortable. It's very much a modern version of the earlier example, even a modern take on the Flying Gate of the '50s. I don't remember that particular machine but I do the style. Thanks for the post.

Very interesting about helmet sales, and the balance between where the benefit really is and the look.

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:22 am Reply with quote
Gtane
sandranian wrote:
Sure...and I know about the new restrictions, but that isn't what we are talking about. I would think that getting beaten up over a long TT on a bike with "track" geometry would eventually kill someone. Anquetil, one of the best TTers of all time, used a slack bike, as did Hinault...

But I guess a lot of it is voodoo, so that might explain it as well.

Stephan,

Yes, the magic is all part of the mix too.

Another detail is that when sprinting out of corners, uphill, or when turning around in the road, as often happens on UK TT courses, the shorter wheelbased bikes have a feel advantage to the rider in getting the power down as well as getting through the turns. So the lanes and roads in the UK might have been better suited, at that time, to shorter, track influenced, TT machines than more relaxed geometry.

This whole area has certainly got me thinking Stephan. Good grey matter stuff. A detailed pictorial timeline would be a fascinating study. A Darwinian approach, perhaps. I wonder how far we've actually come.

Wisey,

Interesting point about the 10 speed machines and wear. For a TT, you just don't need all those gears. I wonder if pro teams restrict machines, or will restrict machines, to 5/6 gears and a narrower back end for time trials? You've touched on a very good point there. Is it time to go back in time on this one?

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Wisey, your post on people falling off time trial bikes got me to look for Hinault time trials on you-tube, where I found this on Hinault and Lemond in 1986: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7_YGWlex9nM

Hinault is on a funny bike with bullhorn bars, and Lemond rides a pretty standard looking diamond frame with dropped bars. I couldn't see that either was other than round tubes, but they might be. They should be Huffy, and I have one with aero tubes (flattened gas pipe!) that must be from around that time. Anyway, you all probably know Hinault was out to take the yellow jersey away from Lemond on this time trial. He almost crashed on one corner, and Lemond did. Would they have already had weird geometry by '86, or were they just pushing the envelope?

The other interesting source on bike design I came across the other day is Gene Portuesi's Cyclopedia of 1974, with an article on "choosing your bike,"
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cyclopedia/index.html
The section on massed start bikes says pro's would have had several different bikes to choose from, with a longer wheel base, slack angled frame for rough roads (like Super Corsa and TdF frames up to '73), and shorter wheel base, stiffer angles ('74 and later frames) for better roads. The time trial bike section says time trials are held on better roads, and riders go at a steady pace instead of sprinting, so lighter tubes are used. He doesn't mention angles.

On the high position in modern TT bikes, I saw something about Discovery testing positions in a wind tunnel, and they found that Basso was actually more aerodynamic in a higher position. Could they be sacrificing handling to aerodynamics? But Wisey, your helmet story is great, and points to looks rather than function being the key.

By the way, Portuesi also notes the importance of fashion in bike design.

Dave
WOW! 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
vanhelmont wrote:
Wisey, your post on people falling off time trial bikes got me to look for Hinault time trials on you-tube, where I found this on Hinault and Lemond in 1986: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7_YGWlex9nM

WOW! What a great video!

I never realized they could ride THAT fast! 35 MPH!!! Shocked

My claim to fame was breaking 60 minutes (by a few seconds) on a 25 mile time trial. I think that I had a little help from a tail wind though. At the time I didn't think that it was such a big deal because 2 other riders passed me.

vanhelmont wrote:
By the way, Portuesi also notes the importance of fashion in bike design.

Cyclists are probably the biggest fashionistas and faddists of any modern sport.

Chas.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Oops. I had completely forgotten about Greg crashing in the final TT in 86. Embarassed

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
lofter
Paul Wiseman wrote:

nice wisey, i always wanted and still do , a hinault road bike like that tt machine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
In the tt's, the flat cruising speed would usually be in the neighborhood of 30mph. One of the fastest TT's ever in the Tour was LeMond's 89 victory, where he averaged 34.5 mph.

Zabriskie's 2005 TT is the fastest ever, but that was only 19K, so really almost a prologue.

LeMond's 1989 TT was over 25K (15.5 miles), so that was relatively short as well, but still...average of almost 35mph is unreal. Oh...and it is reported that the course had an elevation loss of 247 feet over those 15 miles. So...it was technically a "downhill" course!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
They really are astonishing speeds. For me, just getting to 35mph on the flat would be enough of a struggle just once in my lifetime, let alone averaging it in a TT.

Here are some useful stats on The Tour (go to the foot of the page for the PDF files of information).

http://www.letour.fr/2009/TDF/COURSE/us/histoire_statistiques.html

If you go to the 'Miscellaneous records' file, you'll see all the individual time trial records, as well as the team time trial records, amongst others.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
lofter wrote:
Paul Wiseman wrote:

nice wisey, i always wanted and still do , a hinault road bike like that tt machine.

Check out the frame design though. I never saw a Hinault like that back in the 80's. Plenty of Mosers(cheats) in that style, but I remember the Hinaults as pretty standard design. ANyone else?

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel
A new member with a cool gitane 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane