gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Huge Collection of Bikes Including Three Gitanes
Huge Collection of Bikes Including Three Gitanes 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
Here's a huge collection of bikes, including three Gitanes in the 'Racing bicycles steel' section (lower left nav area of the homepage). There's an eye popping Gitane in orange with the rare Shimano AX group. Is this bike the Profil 3 as described? The frame looks interesting.

There's also a much older Gitane in light blue, not sure of the model but cracking condition and bike, plus a lovely 80's TT machine.

http://www.sammlung-embacher.at/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
lofter
interesting, wish we had those early 80's catalogs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
That orange bicycle is the "budget" version of the blue TT bike, which, of course, was the prototype of the delta....

Orange bike 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
verktyg
What kind of tubing was that made of?

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:11 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I believe it was just crimped "stove pipe". I haven't seen a tubing sticker on the two that I have seen (in pictures only, of course).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quote
Gtane
That's interesting Stefan. Thanks. It would be interesting to find out the type of steel used. The machine looks quite good in orange with the chrome forks and very interesting to know that it was the forerunner to later models. Now you mention it I can see the lines towards the TT machine and then the Delta. I'll see if I can find any further information anywhere else.

There are a few bike jumbles coming up in the next few weeks so I'll keep my eyes open for Gitane material.

I notice that the older light blue machine has those world champion stripes next to the logo that Chas showed in the 'Gitane Mexico track frame on eBay' topic recently.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I do not believe the "budget" model was a forerunner, but rather an affordable version of the TT bike, which was a forerunner of the Delta. I believe the budget model was developed in order to take advantage of the "aero" craze in the early 1980's. The TT bike was actually designed to go faster in time trials, specifically for Hinault. The production model differed slightly from the one Hinault used, but is essentially the same bike.

The TT model was further refined by Renault/Gitane into the "Delta" model, with the cut out head tube, 650 front wheel (they also had one with a standard front wheel as well). A truly innovative bicycle...it still looks modern today. See the TT section on the website for examples, and pictures of Lofter's bike are there as well, showing some of the detail.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
Thanks very much indeed Stefan. I have seen Lofter's superb machine - always worth another glance as was Nicolas' recent TT acquisition. I didn't realise the Deltas had two models with two different sizes of front wheel. That's my learning something new every day info., for today.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Lapis77
Hi there,

i know the last post in this thread is older than 1 year but i found it on the search for some infos about my bike i bought. I am the "new" owner of the orange "Profil 3" bike which can be seen on the side you linked before.
I will post some detail pics in the coming days. What i found out till now is that there is an vitus logo on the left rear dropout. The bike is in a wonderful (almost perfect) condition - complete AX components, even the plastic cup on the headset.

Greetz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Congratulations and welcome. That is a beautiful machine indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Lapis77,

Welcome to the site and thank you for posting. Well done indeed on the purchase. It's a very striking machine.

Looking forward to further shots.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn
Smile
Lapis 77,
Welcome/congratulations! This is a beautiful and unique bicycle!
All: It is unknown to me if this orange "Profil 3" ever made it to the U.S. Obviously, we have a gap for this late '70's-early '80's time period. With no catalogue, but a Bicycling Magazine's Buyers' Guide for 1982 at hand, it appears that this model was definitely not (at least according to this source) available in the U.S. for that year. However, the "Aerodynamic", a time trial model, was included as one in the five model lineup for 1982. My impression is that such was, indeed, a precursor of the later Delta model. The bike was constructed with Reynolds 531 aerodynamic tubing throughout and equipped with a Shimano Dura Ace groupset, Mavic CX heat treated rims with Mavic CX aerodynamic hubs with sealed bearings and a Suntour Ultra 7-speed freewheel, etc. The velo sold for an eye watering $1,864.50.
Bienvenue,
Peter H.
1990 Gitane 653
1999 Gitane Altec 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:27 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Lapis,
I was interested in that bike too if it's the one that sold on eBay (Germany?). If I remember, seller couldn't quote a shipping price to USA.

Congratulations on your purchase. If you decide to ever part with it, you know who to contact.

Jay

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane