gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 76 TdF?
76 TdF? 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Snowden
Hey, so I'm considering making the trip to go check out this bike for sale, and I was wondering if you experts could weigh in on if this all seems kosher to you.

The seller says it's a '76 TdF, with:

Quote:
* 1976 Gitane 23” 531 Reynolds Frame. Green paint. Original stickers say “Gitane” and “Professional Tour de France”.
* Handlebars say “Pivo” and “KB” and “Japan Champion”
* Brooks Men’s Leather Saddle – B17 Titanium, brown with steel rails and copper rivets
* High flange Campagnolo hubs on original 27” wheels (new wheels installed 07/21/09)
* Suntour Shifters
* Derailleur says “Suntour V-Luxe”
* Brakes – Handles say “Weinmann”, brakes say “Universal Super 88” (not disc)
* Front and rear fenders say “ESGE”
* Original Jim Blackburn aluminum pannier rack on the back (similar to EX-1 model, in silver)
* Cannondale back panniers (pair) - Yellow
* Zefal bike pump attached to rear upright
* Single steel water bottle cage on front upright
* Original (1976) Grab Ons on handlebars
* Just installed new wheels and Bontrager tires at Bike Tech in Lakewood (07/21/09)
* Also just installed new Zefal toe clips (07/21/09)
* Comes with original wheels, hubs, tires, and toe clips, in addition to the new additions.

Asking 200 bones, and here's the picture, small though it is.

What do you think?
Thanks!
z

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:43 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Definitely worth a look at $200. I don't know how a Brooks Titanium saddle can have steel rails....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:01 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Z,
From the decals it's earlier than 1976. Likely '72ish. Derailleurs may not be original but the Suntour is Very good. Brakes are most likely replaced. If cosmetics and chrome are good I would part with $150-$200. for it. Most of the good bones are there.

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:22 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Z,
What is your plan for the bike if you get it? Ride as is or restore?

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:48 am Reply with quote
verktyg
As Jay pointed out, it's probably a 1972-73 Gitane Tour de France. The original wheels & tires would most likely have been sewups (tubulars) which are size 700c. Before the late 70s clincher rims and tires in 700c were not very common in the US so many people had their sewup rims changed to 27" clincher rims. Now 27" tires and rims are hard to get.

Bike would have originally come with Mafac center pull brakes and Simplex Criterium derailleurs. Universal brakes and Suntour derailleurs where inexpensive changes some owners made in the early 70s. The pedals would have been Lyotard 460d alloy rattraps with French threads. The bottom bracket and headset were also French threaded.

The Brooks saddle looks like it might be over stretched from repeated adjustments and may need to be replaced. Also, the stem is at least an inch too high and the bottom part should be carefully inspected for any cracks around the split or splits for the expander at the bottom of the quill (the part that fits in the steering tube).

Make sure that there are no bumps or ripples under the top tube and down tube at the head tube that would indicate that the bike had been wrecked.

Again, what are you planing on doing with the bike. Make sure that the frame fits you properly if you plan on riding it. It appears from how low the seat is that the frame is too big for whomever was previously riding the bike. Some people must long to sing soprano! Shocked

Chas.

Last edited by verktyg on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
Snowden
Definitely I would be riding it. I love the idea of restoring it, but I really just don't have the funds or the knowledge or the space or the ability or the... Maybe that could happen one day, but for now, I'm just looking for something good looking and fun fun fun to ride.
Thanks for all the input!

z

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Z,
FUN it will be. Just lower the Stem for safety and hopefully you are tall enough to raise the seat post.

Jay

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane