gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Early 70s Grand Sport
Early 70s Grand Sport 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
jim7533
Hi all! I picked up a Grand Sport De Luxe at my church yard sale for the princely sum of $6.00 US last September. I finally got around to putting on new tubes and tires, and started riding in mid-June (part of an overall fitness drive I'm on). The past couple rides, the bottom bracket has begun groaning & moaning, and there's visible play in it. I understand that GSDLs aren't rare or anything, but I genuinely enjoy this bike and want to fix it up. I found a post for a new bottom bracket, but my question is, should I convert to a more modern bracket and crankset, as opposed the the cotter pin style crankset currently in place?

[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Thanks for the post, and glad to see you are riding the Gitane again.

Regarding your query...you are kind of opening a can of worms if you are looking to upgrade the BB and the crankset. There are a bunch of reasons, but let me start with this:

(1) The cotterpin crank is just fine for what sounds like the intended use of the bike. It should not need replacing, unless there is some sort of damage to it.

(2) The bottom bracket probably just needs to be "repacked": Take out the adjustable cup, remove the bearings and axle, clean, use new cycling grease, and reassemble. If you have never done it before, you should ask for some help or assistance in getting the adjustment right on the adjustable cup.

(3) Removal of the cotter pins can be tricky, so get some assistance there too if you have never done it...or just ask here and I am sure someone will provide some helpful tips.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:11 am Reply with quote
jim7533
Thanks for the advice Stephan. The bike's in pretty good overall shape, although in retrospect I should not be surprised about the bearings. I know for a fact it sat about 10 years. Any way, wrenching on old machines is not an issue for me-I keep my 1967 VW Beetle going by myself too.
Early 70s Grand Sport 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane