gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Butchered 74 Tour de France or Super Corsa
Butchered 74 Tour de France or Super Corsa 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quote
Craeg
I've recently received a free frame from an old timer at work and I've been trying to identify it. There are no decals at all except for a Reynolds 531 and it's original orange paint/chrome has been ruined with tons of braze-ons. I believe it to be a Gitane and it's identical looking to an orange 74 TDF that I've seen through this forum. It has a french bottom bracket and a french head set. So first I'm wondering if the only difference between the TDF and the Super Corsa was the components? Secondly I'd like to know if the frame is worth enough cash to be worth the effort of restoring it originally or just cutting off all the braze-ons and painting it however I'd like? And finally, is there any other way to identify it without stickers and components?

Pics are here: http://s994.photobucket.com/albums/af66/craeg/

PS: It has a stamped Simplex for the drop out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Appears to be a circa 1973 Gitane Tour de France. The Super Corsa used Campagnolo dropouts, not Simplex like on the Tour de France, so there was a difference in the frame itself. Both used Reynolds 531 tubing.

The bike you have, while not exactly "rare", is definitely worth cleaning up and getting it into riding condition again. The proper decals are readily available, and painting it wouldn't be that big of a problem. Whether you hack off the braze ons or not is completely up to you: The bike has already been altered, so you might as well use the alterations, because it will never be exactly "original" again anyways. I would use them and not hack anything off. The chrome appears to be good, so all you need to do is paint it (whatever color you like) and put on the decals that are available on Ebay (the foil ones). It will look great!

Just Paint and ride... 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Where's the fork?

As Stephan said, it's a 1972 or 73 Tour de France. Someone has already modified the gear hanger on the right rear Simplex dropout to fit a standard style derailleur.

Second silly question... Does the bike fit you? It's a 57cm (22 1/2") frame measured center to top the way Gitane measured them. It will have about a 32.5" stand over height.

I've seen a number of folks who wanted to restore bikes that were nowhere near their correct size. That's OK if you want a "wall hanger" but if you plan on riding it... Rolling Eyes

Sandblast or chemically strip the paint and repaint. Mask the chrome if you sandblast it.

Chas.
Butchered 74 Tour de France or Super Corsa 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane