gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane Folder - my new project bike Goto page 1, 2  Next
Gitane Folder - my new project bike 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:17 am Reply with quote
sherpa
Hey all.

I have always wanted a folding bike. Something I could leave in the office and use for coffee or lunch runs. Something to stick in the trunk of the car on trips and use the bike to get around when I get there.

Plus, they are cool.

So I have been searching ebay and craigslist for a while and finally found one.

A 1970 Gitane Folder.
http://www.wheelerclan.us/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=4399

I say 1970 because it matches the bike in the 1970 catalog on this site exactly. It belonged to the woman's grandfather, and when he died it went into the garage. She was hoping someone would fix it up but any potential buyers wanted something that was more immediately ridable. I on the other hand, was looking for a project. And what do you want for $25.

Coincidentally I have an older Gitane (I think) that I made into a fixie which I bought from a bike shop. It was sitting in the trash pile with a rattle can paint job, stripped of all parts, just frame and fork, not even a head set. That was when I learned about French threaded bottom brackets and all the joys associated there in. I found a couple of cups, and luckily, everything fit. (I'll post pictures of that bike at some point, it definitely isn't a restoration, but it is a fine usable bike that gets me around town.)

Anyway, all the parts of the folder look solid. I think the rims will need to be changed out. I will evaluate the hubs then. I'd like to stay with the 3 speed and derailleur setup, but if the hubs are shot I may go with an internal. I also don't think I'm going to be paying to have parts re-chromed, so the chain guard and fenders will be painted to match the frame. I'd love to replace some of the original decals if anyone knows of a source. I have access to a vinyl cutter, so i may make some of them there.

I want to get the lights and dyno in working order. Has anyone ever converted these to use LEDs, maybe with a capacitor to keep them running for a short time if you stop moving?

Anyway, I'll keep posting pics as I work on the bike.

Thanks for the great resource.

Matt Wheeler
Albany, NY

1970 Gitane Catalog 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:13 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Matt,

Gitane used their 1970 catalog here in the US from 1970 to 1973. So it could be anywhere in those years or even into 1974.

Chas.
true 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
sherpa
very true. at some point i'll grab the serial number and see if i can find out anything.

BTW - sorry all about condemning a gitane to the "fixie abattoir." I'd love to find out what model it is and maybe one day restore it to its original beauty..... but, alas, i needed something to get to work and back on.

suffice to say, i did not alter the frame, and it even has brakes on it. AND FENDERS.

I'd love to find out if it really is a gitane - it was just a guess by the LBS owner. sometime i'll grab the serial off of it and take some detailed shot and see if we can figure out what model it is.

thanks.

Gitane serial numbers 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Matt,

Gitane serial numbers are actually winning Lotto numbers! Laughing

You just have to figure out which lottery! Wink

A year or so ago Stephan A. started a project to try and figure out the significance if any of Gitane serial numbers.

It appears that they were created by a random number generator.! Laughing Laughing Laughing

BTW, I cringe when I see a classic road bike butchered to become a fixie! It's like hooking a thoroughbred up to a plow! Twisted Evil

Chas.
Re: Gitane serial numbers 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
sherpa
verktyg wrote:

You just have to figure out which lottery! Wink

I'm betting the french national lottery.

verktyg wrote:

BTW, I cringe when I see a classic road bike butchered to become a fixie! It's like hooking a thoroughbred up to a plow! Twisted Evil

right, when everyone knows they make better burgers. Wink

I have to say, it was a crime of opportunity. but someday i will restore it. after seeing pics on here i am craving a ride with downtube shifters.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Zach
Fixed is better than being in a dumpster. The good thing about these bikes is the lack of braze ons for the most part. Everything can just bolt right on.
Why I don't like fixies! 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
First off, I've never been a slave to fads or had much respect for those that have been or are... The fixie fad is just that, a fad. That's a personal issue.

The bigger issue affects all urban cyclists. It's the careless, unsafe way many fixie owners ride on the street.

For many years cyclists have struggled to get recognition or at least the lack of disdain from motorists. "Hey, we're out there on the road too... and we have a legal right to be there. Please watch out for us and try to avoid running us over."

I drive a lot in urban areas for business. I frequently see fixie riders (usually without brakes or helmets and a fakeinger bag slung over their shoulder) weaving recklessly in and out of city traffic, pissing off drivers who don't see them until the last second. This is especially dangerous for the riders during rush hour traffic.

I don't need any more hostile motorists in my life!

Another point in the defense of motorists is the liability issue.

Several years ago, an adult on a bike pulled out from in front of a parked bus I was passing. I didn't see him until he was dead in front of me. It was stop and go traffic and fortunately I'd just started to move and wasn't going very fast.

I stopped in time without hitting him. He stopped too but he fell over onto the hood of my car putting some scratches and dents in it. He was limping and said he hurt himself when he hit his leg on my front bumper.

A bunch of well intended onlookers came to his defense. Fortunately a motorcycle cop was nearby and ended the fray.

The cyclist was in the wrong and I wasn't responsible even if I had hit him because he pulled out in front of me and stopped. I felt bad that he hurt his leg but...

I know a number of drivers that were run into by "bike riders". They ended up having to deal with years of legal battles. Is it no wonder that many drivers have no respect for cyclists?

Last point, again it's a personal one.

Zach wrote:
Fixed is better than being in a dumpster.

Most fixies are going to end up abandoned when their owners move on or the fad ends, whichever comes first. Whether it's a dumpster or an alleyway beside an apartment building, they'll end up at the dump.

We always kept at least one track bike at our shop in the 70's even though we were many hundreds of miles from the nearest velodrome. Guys bought them for early season training and usually sold them back to us by late summer. Several commuters used them too. Once I rode 1/2 a century on a 1936 German Durkopp track bike so I know the "joy" of fixed gear riding. Rolling Eyes

I groan when I see a classic bike that some FOOL has cut off all the braze-ons and the derailleur hanger. They've probably never cut a finger on a top tube brake cable clamp or stood out in the wind and rain trying to fix a flat rear tire and have the derailleur fall of because the screw holding the mounting plate came loose and the greasy chain twists up and so on.

Of the millions of "10 speeds" imported into the US during the Bike Boom and beyond, there were never more than a few 100k better quality bikes brought in. Most bikes from that era have been cycled through Asian cars several times over!

So it's like chopping up a Chippendale chair for firewood. Evil or Very Mad

Chas. The Righteous One! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:35 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I can't wait for the fixie fad to end...all of those cheap bikes and parts flooding the market will be great. Imagine how many bikes I will be able to pick up for NOTHING! Hooray for the fixies!

The end of a fad... 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
I can't wait for the fixie fad to end...all of those cheap bikes and parts flooding the market will be great. Imagine how many bikes I will be able to pick up for NOTHING! Hooray for the fixies!

Just hang around your local college campus right after graduation.

...and keep your eyes off of those girls! Wink

I don't live to far from UC Bizerkeley so I know about those things.

Chas.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
sandranian wrote:

Demand > Supply

Demand < Supply

Yep, you said it Sandman! Just got to wait for this market to turn.......

I'm hoping the restoration fad will shift gears too, and move from 70s - 80s bikes to the 90s onwards. I've met guys out on the roads these days who can't even remember back as far as Indurain!!! Don't bother asking if they remember Zoetemelk! Pretty soon I think we will see fully "restored" Trek OCLV's from the USPS team!

Delta Dreamin'
Re: The end of a fad... 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
verktyg wrote:
sandranian wrote:

Just hang around your local college campus right after graduation.

...and keep your eyes off of those girls! Wink

I don't live to far from UC Bizerkeley so I know about those things.

Chas.

Chas, in my ancient state of 36 years ( Wink ), I have returned to college to do another degree. (don't ask!) The girls sure are something else! It's all very cute when they come and chat to me because I'm one of the "smart" guys in the class. I love watching the expression on their faces when they figure out that I really am old enough to be their father Laughing . Then they're cured............... damn Sad .

(Disclaimer: Don't worry all you parents with teenage daughters, it's all perfectly innocent. Besides, I'd probably get along better with their mothers....... Twisted Evil )

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Zach
Well I keep all my bikes with gears, But I have sold at least 3 that I "Flip" on craigslist to people who turn them into fixies. Its a fad that has peaked.

If the bike came with gears I keep them there. But if someone wants to pay me 245 for a old bike I bought for 60 I dont care what he does with it. I want to keep things going with gears and I do ride one night a week with the college kids. Lots of fixed but classic 10 speeds outnumber them.

The next fad will be stock road bikes. Yes.

Maybe I can pick up a couple of track bikes. I live about 30 minutes from a Velodrome.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Zach wrote:
I live about 30 minutes from a Velodrome.

I would have loved to have lived near a velodrome back in the day. I was a monster sprinter with ham sized thighs.

We started generating interest in building one in Albuquerque, NM in the mid 70's and got as far as locating a site then it faded away.

I got to take my road bike out on the Hellyer Velodrome in San Jose, CA one evening after all the racing was over. It was a trip. Diving down off the banks was so cool!

I would have picked up a track bike but I was dealing with chronic tendinitis in my knees at the time and was happy to just be able to get in some easy road miles.

I have no problem with people converting old gas pipe 10 speeds into fixies, it's just delaying the eventual karma that awaits them in a steel mill somewhere in the Far East. Twisted Evil

As I said in another rant, it's the people who butcher a classic bike and more importantly the way many ride on the street that bothers me.

Several weeks ago I was coming in off of a ride when I was passed by 3 candidates for the Darwin Award. They were riding down the middle of a busy 2 lane street in traffic with their front wheels off of the ground turned 90° sideways. No brakes, no helmets and not paying any attention to the cars.

The human skull is about the same size and consistency as an almost ripe melon. Throw either to the ground from 6 feet and you get the same results (except maybe the melon was smarter). Perhaps they will eventually withhold their genes from the pool! Rolling Eyes

Chas.

Last edited by verktyg on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Wisey

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:32 am Reply with quote
sherpa
True about the way fixies are generally ridden.

I was thinking many the same thoughts while reading about the Critical Mass near SLC. Breaking the law and harassing motorists is no way to gain respect. Riding your line, TAKING you spot on the road, riding predictably and obeying the law are ways to gain respect. You'll still get harassed, but at least you are in the right. Heck, while waiting at a traffic light to take a left hand turn I had a motorist roll down his window and thank me, saying it was the first time he ever saw a cyclist stopping at a light. (I flipped him off and ran the light. Wink )

The converted fixie was a good commuter - ran well all year, summer, winter, rain and snow. Very little maintenance and very little to worry about. But, alas, after my son was born I could find no safe route to carry him on a bike from daycare home, so I am confined to a steel box for my commute, so the fixie has been mostly dormant. So, this is the perfect chance to redo that frame. Looking at pics of bike here it maybe a TdF. I'll take some shots over the weekend and post them and see what everyone thinks. Then I'll need some help with component choice. If I'm going to do it I'd like it to be appropriate.

I wish we had a velodrome near Albany. I'd love to hit the boards on a real track bike. It must be fun to ride so smooth and fast. Maybe someday I'll get chance, take a trip down to Lehigh.

Gitane Folder - my new project bike 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane