gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » New to me- 1972 Tour de France
New to me- 1972 Tour de France 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
trials guy
Hi - I'm awaiting the delivery of a bike just purchased from a Gitane Forum member (thanks Squadra!). It sounds to be in pretty original condition with the exception of the stem and front derailleur. It is a 1972 or 73 TDF and I wondered if someone knows what these pieces were likely to have been as the bike was delivered originally... The existing rear derailleur is a Simplex, would the stem have been a Pivo, or??? What size (diameter) stem stem is appropriate for a Gitane? I'd like to try to find original pieces to replace the existing changer and stem. Really looking forward to the bike; I had a brand new Interclub in 1972 (long gone) and am happy to have discovered this forum and found another Gitane! Any information is appreciated. Thanks. John

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Congrats on the new bike. Check the catalogue section on the website (www.GitaneUSA.com). Here is a link to the specs page from the early 1970's bikes:

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1970_pg11.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:44 am Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
Congratulations John

I also have a 73 TdF. The stem should have been a Pivo, size should be 22.0, with a 25.0 bar clamp. The original bars have no label or engraving. Post some pics when you get your bike!

Jim

TDF component groups 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
trials guy
I will post some photos of my bike when it arrives. A question about component groups on this model... From reading the forum posts it seems pretty clear that the component specs were subject to a bit of variability; some TDF's seemed to come with Campy components, some with Simplex. My bike has the later Sugino crankset; did these versions more commonly come with Simplex or Campy parts, or was it fairly random? I'm trying to sort out the chronology and progression of these bikes a bit.... Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Usually came with Simplex parts. The Sugino cranks are not unknown on Gitane Tour de France bikes.

Generally, the TdF came with French, not Italian parts....

Photos of my TDF posted on the "Owners Gallery" pa 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
trials guy
Check out the photos of my TDF! Just posted on the "owners gallery"page.Laughing
1972-74 TdF 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Congrats...

Great looking bike.

Looks all original except for the seat. Gitane used Sugino Mighty Competition cranks on TdFs probably from late 1972 until early 1974.

I figured that maybe it was because they couldn't get the Stronglight 93 cranks at the height of the Bike Boom because they were all going to Peugeot and Raleigh.

It was a foot in the door for better quality Japanese components in the European market.

Chas.

Last edited by verktyg on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
TDF photos 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
trials guy
Thanks Chas! What sort of seat came standard on the TDF? Was it the plastic Freccia de Oro that came on the Interclub? Thanks; John
Re: TDF photos 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
verktyg
trials guy wrote:
What sort of seat came standard on the TDF? Was it the plastic Freccia de Oro that came on the Interclub?

Yes, the high end device of torture, Freccia D'Oro meaning Golden Arrow. Shocked

Most of the cheap plastic saddles from that era were no-names.

A number of early 70s TdFs in our area had Brooks Pro or B17 saddles (PX-10s came with Brooks Pros too.).

They may have been easier to get than Ideale model 90 saddles plus a lot less messy. Thirty year old Ideale saddles still rub off black on your pants or shorts! Mad

The other choice in those days where Cinelli Unicanitor plastic saddles in several different styles: plain plastic, leather covered or padded leather covered. The leather came in shinny black, suede and other flavors. I rode a padded Unicanitor saddle covered with rough buffalo hide for a while before I discovered Brooks Pros.

Better designed plastic saddles didn't start showing up in the US until 1975-76.

Chas.
New to me- 1972 Tour de France 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane