gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » New 1984 Team Pro owner, few questions. Goto page 1, 2  Next
New 1984 Team Pro owner, few questions. 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
drummer5
So yesterday I happened upon an '84 Team Pro for a price that I just couldn't turn down.

This thing is an amazing bicycle and rides like a scared rabbit when you really step on it. Alas it is too small for me so it may not stay in my stable for long.

I do have a few questions about it, first off I'm pretty sure it is an 84 because it is made of Columbus tubing, but according to the catalogue it should have a Spidel Group and Modolo brakes. But instead it has full Campy just like described in the models section of Gitaneusa.com. Was the component spec different depending on where the bike was sold?

Also the previous owner has changed out a few parts on the bike, obviously the seat is wrong, but I was looking at the seat tube, making sure it wasn't seized and the clamp looks pretty tightened down, the tube that's in there now is an SR 26.2, is it possible that this is too small? Also the stem(which is seized, hopefully the lbs will be able to get it out) has been swapped out for a Raleigh etched stem(ironic?) and the bars are GB. What was the original stem/bar combo and seatpost?

I'd love to return this beauty back to original spec, or as close as possible before selling it or trading it for something in my size.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post, I'll hopefully get some better pictures soon once I get things a bit more cleaned up and put together.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Welcome to the forum. The 1984 Team Pro was sometimes sold with Super Record, not the French stuff. Also, a lot of people bought them as framesets and put the Super Record on themselves.

The seatpost should be a 26.4. Post more pics...that bar tape is atrocious and needs to go ASAP. Benotto! The seatpost would have been Campagnolo Super Record. The bar and stem should be Cinelli 1R (stem) and Cinelli Giro d'Italia (bar). Saddle should be a Selle Italia Turbo (yellow).

the cable housing appears to be the darker yellow as well. It should be more of the lighter stuff....

Here is a picture of my wife's 1984. Keep in mind the stem is incorrect (should be Cinelli 1R, but I had the 1988 Gitane Panto'ed stem). The brakes have been replaced and are now Campagnolo Super Record.

http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=849

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Nice to see you on the forums. I won't make you divulge the ridiculous deal you scored on that bike for fear that a few here might have a heart attack.

I have found that my Gitane's get more riding time than anything else in my stable and my two aren't nearly as nice as yours.

The yellow turbo saddles can go for quite a bit these days as can the regular ones - but look sweet on these bikes. Frequent some swap meets and you may get lucky and find one. I located one in Seattle in February but unfortunately the saddle came with a bike and I wasn't successful in getting the two separated.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
drummer5
Hah yeah, it's interesting comparing the price of parts to what I paid for the whole bike...

Besides the seat it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to get a hold of the bars stem and seat post. And if I really want it to just return to it's original aesthetic I could pick up one of the new re-pros, but I'm a bit on the fence about that.

Big thank you to sandranian for the info on the original parts, and the very rapid response to my post. I forgot to ask one more thing in my original post, the bike has Ofmega hubs and Mavic(I'm guessing GP-4) rims, were these original to the build?

I'll hopefully snap a few pictures in the next few days outside or at least in better light, the cable housing is a bit lighter than the bar tape(I agree terrible).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:13 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I built my 1984 with grey Campagnolo cable housing, because that is what was on Fignon's 1984 Tour de France bike. The catalogue showed it as the bright yellow.

Regarding the rims/hubs, the 1984 team bikes used Mavic GP4's (I think), but the bikes which were available to the public used Wolber Super Champion sew up rims. I would prefer Mavic GP40 clinchers, because as an everyday bike, clinchers (in my opinion) are easier to maintain.

Selle Italia has started to market reproductions of the old Turbo saddles, I guess for the "fixie" crowd. They look identical from a few feet away, but upon close inspection you can see that the saddle's cover is made of something different.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
drummer5
Finally got some free time on a decent day to take some better pictures!

Ofmega Hubs laced to Mavic(GP4?) tubulars

Not sure of which campy group it has, is it Super Record?

The Columbus sticker is still there, mostly...

Raleigh stem and GB bars, whaaat?

Modolo hoods, I'm guessing it came with matching campy hoods?

This weekend I'm gonna bring it over to the lbs to see if they can get that Raleigh stem out of there and then starts the search for the correct bits to replace and get this beauty back to stock.
Too small... 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
verktyg
If that seat height fits you OK then the frame is too small for you. It's my size. Box it up, a UPS truck will be by your house next week to take it off of your hands.

All kidding aside, the seat post needs to be inserted at least 2 1/2" to 3" into the seat tube. That looks like an older Laprade seatpost made by in Japan by SR. They were 220mm long (8 5/8"). You should look for a longer 26.4mm seatpost if you need one that high.

http://tinyurl.com/yz5mvah

Also, it appears to be an older Avocet woman's model saddle. They are wider in the rear and shorter than men's saddles which could get uncomfortable fast.

The Campy discontinued brake lever hoods to fit your levers a long time ago. They were made of gum rubber that tended to deteriorate rather quickly. Modolo hoods were available for a longer period of time.

Real Campy hoods are occasionally available on eBay. expect to pay $70-$100 for a pair. There are some reproductions available at several different quality levels plus a number of knock off hoods that will fit your levers.

Your bike may have been a frame that someone built up using mostly correct components. It would have probably had a Cinelli 1R stem with Cinelli model 64 bars.

Where's my bike!

Chas.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:14 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The crankset, derailleurs and brakes are Campagnolo Nuovo Record, not Super Record. The pedals are, though, Super Record! My guess is that whoever built this bike, bought the frameset and then put whatever they had onto it. It does not appear to have been purchased as a complete bicycle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
drummer5
Chas:

You are correct, sadly this bike is too small for me but for the deal that I got it for I couldn't pass it up. The seatpost is only in at that height because that's where I left it after pulling it out to check and make sure it wasn't seized, and then finding out it is too small of a diameter, so as it sits now I'm not riding it with that seatpost, or saddle, you're right super uncomfortable for me.

I am currently on the lookout for the correct seatpost, seat(fingers crossed) stem and bars for this build and then it is going on the market. I'm going to keep the modolo hoods unless I happen to fall upon some campy hoods that are a good deal.

sandranian:

Thank you once again for your response, I had a sinking suspicion that the component group was not super record after looking at some pictures, never would have known about the pedals though. Oh and the little strap ends are campy with matching yellow highlights, I thought those were pretty neat.

I kind of figured from day one that this was purchased as a frameset and then built up. I'm also guessing there was some later swapping of parts by the women I bought it from, she said she used to own a few bikes so she may have grabbed bits off of other bikes that fit her better. I may have to send her and e-mail asking about her history with the bike.

Thank you all once again for your help,
Neil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Super Record parts had black anodized highlights. For example, on the front derailleur, the "arm" is black anodized. On the pedals, the cages are black on the SR group, and on the rear derailleur, the faceplate is different and the pivot points are black anodized. The mechanical designs of the SR and NR groups are almost identical.

The SR crankset has (I think) a wider diameter spider, and the chain rings omit the second "inner" ring.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
drummer5
Stephan you are a bottomless wealth of information, thank you once again!

So one last question(well maybe not but who knows). I was wondering what would be a reasonable asking price for this bike as it sits, with the incorrect bits and if I replaced the stem, bars, seat post, and seat with something more correct, cinelli, campy turbo. Because as I mentioned earlier the bike is too small for me Sad so I'm going to sell it Sad Sad, or perhaps trade it for something that does fit me, or a full suspension mountain bike(sorry for uttering those words here...)
Frame Size? 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
What size is the frame, measured from the center on the bottom bracket to the middle of the seat lug?

See red lines on picture, probably 57cm or 58cm (22 7/16" to 22 7/8").

(I may have a deal for you)

Chas.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote
lofter
the frame of which i have two , if i was putting it up on ebay i would sell for 350 to 400 bucks just the frame. a sr campy groupset would add alot more $$$$ to the price. there are alot of old gitane frames and bikes out there but you dont see alot of team pros come up for sale .these are the frames from the team renault elf era , fignon lemond and even hinault there not a italian frame for which it seams everyone wants but they were to me the best french frames at the time. i know some motobecane lovers will hate to hear me say that lol.
Re: Frame Size? 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
drummer5
verktyg wrote:
What size is the frame, measured from the center on the bottom bracket to the middle of the seat lug?

See red lines on picture, probably 57cm or 58cm (22 7/16" to 22 7/8").

(I may have a deal for you)

Chas.

cc is 21, ct is 21.5 matching that up with the catalogues I'd say the frame is a 55

I wish it was a 57 or 58, that's the size I'm looking for, hopefully this doesn't throw that deal out...

Also as pointed out by Stephan everything besides the pedals is Nuovo Record, not Super.
Sheldon Brown trick for stuck stem 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
vanhelmont
When you have alloy stuck to steel, use a little household ammonia. It dissolves the corrosion products very quickly, and the parts can be separated.
New 1984 Team Pro owner, few questions. 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane