gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Hello Gitane brothers , and sisters !
Hello Gitane brothers , and sisters ! 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
jcatron
Please allow me to introduce myself......eh , enough , already .

To the chase: I know nothing, really , about bicycles . Rather I am an aircraft mechanic person , and I have here an 1981 frame , of which I am pleased .

I would like to fix everything right enough , and I'm hoping you will all forgive my beginner stupidity , and will perhaps help me to learn certain things about what to do with this nice 57cm Vitus 971 Gitane frame .

The frame has Shimano 600 ex BB , S/N is AO2466 58995 8 on BB .

Wondering what model/specs ? Many questions !

Please remember your experiences , and share them with me !
Need esp. crankset advice at present . Any advice will be helpful , and appreciated !

Thank you ! Joel
1981 Gitane 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Are you "A man of wealth and fame"?

Welcome to the forum and post some picture so that maybe we can help you.

BTW Gitane serial numbers have no meaning. Documentation and French bikes are mutually exclusive! Laughing

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
jcatron
Thank you Verktyg ! Yes! Wealth ? Taste ? Me ? No , just the "been around for many a long year " part goes .
I do like this forum , though !

I like this steel frame , too , for some strange reason . I guess someone she didn't like it very much . Probably I will be finding out why just any minute !

The French-threaded BB and headset look to be adequate- look/feel unused . I am tempted to spend too much money on an old 600 ex crankset.

Anyone can recommend torque for this ? Can recommend if old 6 speed Dura-Ace hub will suffice ?

Is wheelbuilding going to lead to years of therapy and heartache ? Could Sheldon Brown , in fact , be the Anti-Christ ? How heavy are Shimano 600 parts compared to Suntour , T.A. , etc. ?

Thank you , again , many times , and goodnight !

Joel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote
vanhelmont
6 speed dura ace hub: I guess a 1981 frame will fit a 6 speed hub. You can measure between the rear dropouts. If it's 126 mm, it's 6 speed.

torque: Park tools website has a lot of info on recommended torques.

Wheel building: I've never tried, along with frame building it's about the only bike-related thing I haven't tried but I would say if you want to, and have time, go for it. I've had good results with info from Sheldon Brown.

I'm a suntour fan, but Shimano 600 is great stuff, durable, works fine. It's one step under dura ace, which would be lighter but probably not better in any other way. Suntour Superbe or Cyclone would be a bit lighter, I think. There's a site with bike part weights:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/

Good luck with the bike!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote
jcatron
Thank you for the kind help/ideas/advice .
Eventually I will post pictures of my project . ( My son has traveled away with the camera ).

My intent is only to follow acceptable practices for getting old Gitane frame roadworthy.

I am a bit dazzled by all the possible ways in which to screw-up this whole thing! Especially the wheelbuilding.

Thank you again! I will surely have many more opportunities to benefit further from your experiences.

Joel

P.S. Ava stem arrived yesterday Friday the 13th !
Hello Gitane brothers , and sisters ! 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane