gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Campagnolo is starting to fail!
Campagnolo is starting to fail! 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
So...about 2 weeks ago, I rode my 1987 Team Pro, which supports a full Campagnolo C-Record group. After the ride...and the coffee stop...I was about 4 miles from home when during a shift, something went wrong. Parts started scattering in the road.... At first, I thought it was the chain breaking, but it turned out to be the bottom pulley wheel on the rear derailleur: The bolt broke. So I collected the pulley wheel, and my wife came and picked me up.

Amazingly, for $9.00 (shipping included), I was able to find two NOS C-Record pulley bolts immediately on ebay! Crazy, eh?

So tonight I went to change the freewheel from a straight-block to one that had at least a 22 (there are some hills on tomorrow's ride), when I discovered that the rear axle was broken! What the heck! Now I need a new one of those as well! Crazy...I built those wheels in high school 20 years ago, and they broke. Wierd.

Tomorrow I will still be riding it, albeit with Campagnolo (Super) Record wheels. Now to go onto ebay and find that axle!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
scozim
That sucks. Not sure how specific you need the axle but Loose Screws has a few listed on their website.

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?c=Hub&sc=Axles&id=124096228539

I've ordered $170 of parts from them the past couple of months. Great service and quick shipping.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
Wisey
How unbelievable. A 20 year old wheel that fails. Shocked

What were the axle department at Campagnolo doing 20 years ago? Did they not forsee the ramifications of producing a small lightweight part that would not withstand the rigors of 2 decades of abuse? Rolling Eyes

I bet you won't be riding Campy 11 speed Super Record in 20 years time....... Twisted Evil

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
Gtane
That's the first time I've heard that. I would be very surprised if this is the life cycle because Campagnolo QC is so high. Sorry to hear the news, but it's good news that parts are still available. It might be worth contacting Campagnolo if you have owned the hubs from new.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:26 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The old Campy stuff is amazing. I recently purchased a bike at the local flea market for $35...an old Torpado that had a Campagnolo Record rear derailleur. I was able to take the entire thing apart, clean it, and reassemble it within an hour. Really nice and serviceable, unlike today's stuff, which is made to be disposable (albeit still VERY expensive!).

For parts to last 20+ years is outstanding.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Stephan,

You did well on the flea market find. Components should last decades and decades, even one hundred years if looked after. Some moving parts may possibly need to be changed, but perhaps only the chain, sprockets and chainwheel. It really is quite amazing how few items truly needs changing on a very old bike.

I agree about twenty years, it is pretty incredible when one thinks about it and particularly so against the high level of use and general low maintenance or care that many bikes receive.

Tim

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane