gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » New bike
New bike 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Well, perhaps I shouldn't say "new". It's a long way from being new in both age and condition. Originally I was thinking 74ish, but on further gazing at the catalogues, I think it might be a 77 Interclub. The one hesitation I have is that this thing is not particularly light, and the 77 Interclub is supposed to be Durifort tubing which I thought was around the same weight as Reynolds 531. Perhaps someone could enlighten me? Chas?

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
BTW - Parts are obviously all non-original except for the Huret front dreailleur.

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Wisey, thanks for the Poster Girl post yesterday, It was a good laugh after work. Cool

Was this frame from the coastal areas of Oz, ---looks like the fork crown could be a challenge to clean-up. Salt Water spray???

I'm soooo envious of your shop space---Nice Shop Cool

I Like Steel !!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Ha! You wouldn't believe how long it took me to find a pic of a nice girl with a bike that was actually 'family safe'.

Delta Dreamin'
Re: New bike 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:29 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Wisey wrote:
...Originally I was thinking 74ish, but on further gazing at the catalogues, I think it might be a 77 Interclub. The one hesitation I have is that this thing is not particularly light, and the 77 Interclub is supposed to be Durifort tubing which I thought was around the same weight as Reynolds 531. Perhaps someone could enlighten me? Chas?

Wisey,

Has someone been surfing with that bike? Laughing

"...this thing is not particularly light" Light is relative! (didn't Einstein say something like that?) Laughing

Have you been riding plastic again? Embarassed The the bare frame and should weigh about 6 lbs.

In the early 70s we were told that Interclubs were made of Durifort tubing. I have a fork from an old IC and you can clearly see Durifort stamped into the blades. I suspect that earlier Interclubs were made out of a variety of different tube sets both light and heavy.

Some Foil Decal era Interclub frames weren't too much different than Gran Sport frames except they didn't have any brazed on cable stops and they had a lot less fork rake.

These frames probably had 1.2mm to 1.3mm wall thickness tubing and used 25mm seatposts. A larger seatpost would indicate thinner wall tubing which would be lighter.

BTW, I Recently dug out an old top tube I removed from a Gran Sport cadaver. It was 1.0mm thick which was pretty thin for "gas pipe" tubing!

Gitane made a lot of changes in mid 1974 (maybe for the 1975 model year). They cheapened the TdFs by switching from all Reynolds 531 tubing to just the 3 main tubes 531. At the same time they upgraded the Interclub components a little. Both models had the weird (read ugly) Huret honeycomb rear dropouts.

During the last few years of production, the Foil Decal TdFs used the same short point Bocama "Professional" lugs as are on your bike. The new "improved" TdFs came out with long point Bocamas with stamped out Vs. So, theoretically, based on the modified Nervex DuBois crown this could be a 1974-75 TdF. Shocked

Most likely, it's as you guessed, a 1974-77 Interclub or a Euro/Non-US model. I bet that it has metric diameter tubes with British threads in the headset and bottom bracket! Shocked

Durifort tubing with butted main tubes had just about the same wall thickness as Columbus SP tubing and Reynolds 531ST tubing. The 3 main tubes were 1.0mm at the butted ends and 0.7mm in the midsection.

Durifort offered some less expensive straight gage main tubes called "Rubis 888". They were 0.8mm wall thickness throughout. These main tubes eventually developed into 788 and 999 tubing. I suspect that Rubis 888 was used in Interclubs rather than the butted main tubes.

Around 1976 the TdFs were upgraded to full Reynolds tubs again. At this point, I saw 1 or 2 Interclubs with 3 main tubes Reynolds 531. They also had long point Bocama lugs. Confused

Here's what I would do with this bike:

1. stripped it and remove the plastic decals. You may have fun getting the stem and seatpost out.

2. have it sandblasted to remove the paint and rust and chrome and rust and rust! Very Happy

3. one reason to have it sandblasted is to check the tubes for pitting and rust through. If you find any, send it up north, Kia is waiting!

4. after sandblasting, I'd probably paint the whole fork and not worry about the chrome. Gitane made a number of European models without chrome (as late as 1974 the Euro model IC had steel cranks and a Huret Svelto RD.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
Gtane
That's a nice project Wisey.

Enjoy the restoration.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:31 am Reply with quote
Wisey
Haven't had time to get out the verniers yet. Thanks for the comments guys. Yes, she's had a bit a battering, but it looks to be only surface blemishes. No hints of rust inside the tubes.

Chas, it's a bit 'heavy' in relation to a traditional 531 frame like the blue one now in your collection.

It had a 25.0 post in it, but it is a bit loose. Again, have to measure it next week.

Delta Dreamin'
New bike 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane