gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » End of the Year Awards Goto page 1, 2  Next
End of the Year Awards 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
As the end of 2009 draws near, we once again mark one more year of Gitane visibility on the web...another year expanding our growing catalog database and collective knowledge...and another year of Gitane in France COMPLETELY ignoring us!

I wanted to first (seriously) thank all of the contributors, young and old, one and multiple-timers, members of the "Fixie Nation", and stodgy traditionalists. All of the input is welcome and encouraged. I am sure there are tons more categories...you can go ahead and nominate any that you like.

On a not-so-serious note:

I want to once again affirm that Francesco Moser STOLE the 1984 Giro from Fignon, and that Fignon would have won in 1989 had he been riding a Gitane and not a Raleigh.

As is (or will be) our tradition, I, as benevolent dictator extraordinaire of this list, doth make the following awards for this list (keep in mind that this has nothing to do with anything except me thinking this up over the past 30 seconds...and means nothing in the way of quality of contributions or appreciation):

Best All Around Gitane Owner and Person of the Year: "sandranian" (why the heck not? I figured ALL of you would give me that award - or similar - anyways, so I thought I would preempt you).

Best Historical Poster and all around Gitane Almanac: "verktyg"

Best Restoration: "greyhundguy"
http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1171

AND FINALLY:

BEST POST OF 2009: "WISEY" (by a mile)
Wisey wrote:
I don't get the gitane connection???

All I saw in the picture, was the local bike....... Shocked

http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1187

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
lofter
i have one and its tim from england "aka" gtane, and the award is ......drum roll ..........nicest poster of the year . when i read threads and gtane comments, he is always giving a worthy praise to somebody on darn near every post he makes . kinda makes me think he has no mean bone in his body . cheers to you tim .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I forgot that one. Of course, you can tell from my initial post that I was in a somewhat sarcastic and ornery mood yesterday!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
lofter wrote:
i have one and its tim from england "aka" gtane, and the award is ......drum roll ..........nicest poster of the year . when i read threads and gtane comments, he is always giving a worthy praise to somebody on darn near every post he makes . kinda makes me think he has no mean bone in his body . cheers to you tim .

I agree!!! I'll stuff the ballot box for Tim.

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Just curious, when is the Awards Dinner? Will there be Medals, Trophies, or large Checks for all of the Winners??? Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I am waiting on Cycleurope (Gitane France) to confirm the availability of their conference room in Machecoul.

Nomination: Fastest repaint, restoration and upgrade 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
I nominate the Winner...

"edorwart"
http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1147

...for fastest repaint, restoration and upgrade of a Gitane this year.

That means another Medal, Trophy or large Check Stephan.

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
sandranian wrote:
As the end of 2009 draws near, we once again mark one more year of Gitane visibility on the web...another year expanding our growing catalog database and collective knowledge...and another year of Gitane in France COMPLETELY ignoring us!

I wanted to first (seriously) thank all of the contributors, young and old, one and multiple-timers, members of the "Fixie Nation", and stodgy traditionalists. All of the input is welcome and encouraged. I am sure there are tons more categories...you can go ahead and nominate any that you like.

As is (or will be) our tradition, I, as benevolent dictator extraordinaire of this list, doth make the following awards for this list (keep in mind that this has nothing to do with anything except me thinking this up over the past 30 seconds...and means nothing in the way of quality of contributions or appreciation):

Best Restoration: "greyhundguy"
http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1171

Awwww, jeeezzz, shucks... (scuffing heal on the ground) Thank you Stephan. Embarassed Very Happy

Jay

Last edited by greyhundguy on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
verkty's Acceptance Speech for the Outstanding Achievement in BSing:

Thank you! Oh! Thank you! I can hardly believe this! I feel so lucky! And this award - it's so humbling! Oh, thank you again! I just want everyone to bow down before me and accept that even in my wildest hallucinations, I never would have frantically prayed that this could ever happen to me. And to the other brilliant nominees, I want each of you to know how totally saddened your crushing defeat makes me feel right now!

You know when I first read this award, I just had to take a minute and obsess about how great my experiences have been. I guess it all just makes me feel kinda numb.

You know, there are so many obsequious fools to thank! First off though, I want to thank the esteemed Listmeister, who looked deep within his kind heart before giving me this fantastic award! Also, I want to thank Zeus, and also Gitanius for being such a powerful force in my life. And to Mom, who taught me to take life by the er, hmm, horns. And to my dog woo woo who was stolen from in front of my house while I watched at age 3. And then my best friend Gregg who always covered for me when we were young. And then the hundreds of little people that I stepped on as I climbed to the top. And finally, to all the personal trainers I fired - I couldn't have done it without you all!

Thank you America, and good night! Laughing

http://www.chickenhead.com/stuff/oscar/index.asp

Last edited by verktyg on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: verkty's Acceptance Speech 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
verktyg wrote:
And to my dog woo woo who was stolen from in front of my house while I watched at age 3.

After all the times you've posted this photo...I've wondered what your Dogs name was... amazing resemblance Chas. Wink

Jay (I couldn't resist)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Thanks fellows for the chuckle you've given me this evening. !!!!

Off to the basement to see if I can mount my '71 Interclub on a new trainer. I really like my antique Kreitlers---but thought I'd try out some new technologie.

On a completely different technology question. Any Idea how one "edits", "crops", or somehow shrinks a digital image to the 100x100 pixel, 7 Kb file size parameter to create an avatar for my sign on????

I Like Steel !!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Well, thank you all very much indeed for your kind consideration and Lofter for your nomination. I'm most taken aback by your gesture. If truth be known, I'm at a loss as to know how to reply but I'll try, and I'll also try to bring in a Gitane connection which is, after all, an ideal requirement of every post.

Not exactly sure what to say other than thank you and that I didn't even know we were going for awards! Ah, if only I had known... ...seriously though, thank you, and it if wasn't for Stephan's passion of the marque we may never have been brought together. So I for one would like to nominate his award to be automatically annually renewable. Perhaps to become the Gitane Passion Award!

I would like to add that I've only been a part of the forum for the last couple of years and in that time my pleasure has come from simply being one of the Gitaneusa community, a learned group of highly knowledgeable, amusing, forthright, civil, understanding and most approachable membership. I've gained a great deal since being here and look forward to the continued success of the site, its members and the shared knowledge base which it provides.

So to that end, I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a very Happy Christmas, an enjoyable New Year and every success for 2010.

Thank you.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
!!! Applause !!! to Tim. Well said as always. My/Our thanks to you for being a part of this list.

Best of Holidays to you also,
Jay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
Gtane
smilingroadrunner wrote:

On a completely different technology question. Any Idea how one "edits", "crops", or somehow shrinks a digital image to the 100x100 pixel, 7 Kb file size parameter to create an avatar for my sign on????

I Like Steel !!!!

CA,

It depends upon the application you use but it should be a very straightforward process whichever one you're using. For example, if you have Photoshop Elements, here is a guide for version 4.0 (should be very similar if not the same for versions lower or greater);

http://photography.about.com/od/developingandprinting/ss/pse-resizing.htm

All the best with that

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Tim (aka "gtane")-

Let's keep things civil here! You are in serious jeopardy of losing the award that you were just given for "nicest poster"!

After all, what "nice" person would use the following "emoticon"

);

Wink

End of the Year Awards 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane