gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » What should I do with my 1972 TDF - restore or fixed gear Goto page 1, 2  Next
What should I do with my 1972 TDF - restore or fixed gear 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
jaytheman
I recently started riding my 1972 tdf again. I purchased a new bike and would like to either restore of convert the bike to fixed gear/single speed.

The cassette and chain are not in very good shape and the simplex derailleur is maybe not too good.

Can I get parts like a new cassette? derailleur? Everything is french threaded?

Does anyone know of a bicycle shop in the SF Bay Area that is good at the restorations or fixed gear conversion.

I love the bike and the ride is still pretty good after all these years. The mavic wheels are in great shape, the tires new tubulars etc.

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote
trials guy
Jay - Post some photos if you have a chance... The parts you speak of needing replacement are not very expensive and are readily available. "Just say no" to the single speed conversion idea. If you are not up for the repairs or restoration, might you consider selling the bike to someone who is? Good luck with it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
To Jay from Jay. Post some photos so we can see what you have to work with. It may be better to conserve rather than convert.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
tjchad
Converting the TDF isn't going to kill it... I rode my Pro fixed gear for a short time until I decided what I was going to do to it. I'll post up some pics tomorrow of what it has become. It's now sporting a Dura Ace/ Ultegra 10 speed set up. I know it isn't "pure" but what the hell...

Re: What should I do with my 1972 TDF - restore or fixed gea 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
jaytheman wrote:
I recently started riding my 1972 tdf again. I purchased a new bike and would like to either restore of convert the bike to fixed gear/single speed.

At the request of Listmeister Stephan, I'll be civil in regards to the comment about making your bike into a fixie.

Here's what I just posted in another message (plus some):

"Greetings and welcome to the Forum.

As the resident retrogrouch my first intentionally offensive comment is: If you want a brand new looking bike , then go buy a brand new (expletives deleted) bike!
Shocked

That said, let's put your bike in historical perspective:

1. It's almost 30 years old.

2. There were probably never more than 150,000 Gitane Tour de France bikes produced between 1968 and 1974 - the Foil Decal era, even fewer imported into the US.

3. Of those, only a few have survived to this day... most have become KIAs or Hundais or Hondas by now.

4. Gitanes are statring to attract some attention among collectors and they're bringing in more money these days. Restored collector bikes don't usually bring as much as one in decent original condition.

The only time I would recommend doing an extensive restoration is on a particularly rare or valuable bike that has had a lot of damage to the paint and or chrome.

A decent paint job can run from $300 to $600+, replating chrome another $100-$400 and then there's the possible additional cost for decals of $40-$100+ if they're not included in the cost of the repainting.

The next thing, old worn looking components look bad on a spiffy new paint job.

Without seeing pictures, it's hard to say but your bike can look great with 2-4+ hours of elbow grease. Here's several examples:

This was a 1969 Gitane Tour de France that had been stored in a shed since the mid 70s:

Before:

After 3-4 hours of cleaning and polishing (work in progress):

Here's another example, this is the way Wisey another Forum member found the bike in OZ:

How Listmeister Stephan put it together:

It's latest incarnation, I'm re-equipping the bike with somewhat original components (work in progress):

Some mild household cleaner like 409, rubbing alcohol and auto polish can do a nice job on the frame. Use caution with some of the orange based degreasers (rubbing alcohol too) as they can damage the paint. Same thing with the polish, the paint on bikes is usually pretty thin.

The metal parts should clean up nicely with some degreaser and then use 3x or 4x steel wool to remove rust and corrosion. Semichrome brand metal polish works great on the rims and hubs, coarser steel wool on the spokes.

The orange based degreasers work wonders on hubs! Wink

I remove the freewheel and put several rubber bands on both sides of the axles next to the dust caps to act as O-rings. Spray the stuff on and wait 15-20 minutes then hose the guck off. Re-apply if needed.

While you have the wheels out and clean, it's a good time to repack the hubs. Use new grade 25 chrome steel balls and a good quality bearing grease.

Think PATINA Cool

Patina is a film on the surface certain metals; a sheen on wooden furniture produced by age, wear, and polishing; or any such acquired change of a surface through age and exposure (on bikes it's signs of use and wear - from years of enjoyable riding).

jaytheman wrote:
The cassette and chain are not in very good shape and the simplex derailleur is maybe not too good.

You can still get freewheels although French threaded ones are getting hard to find. What's wrong with yours? If it's just 1 or 2 worn sprockets they can usually be replaced. Chains are ~$15-$20.

Simplex rear derailleurs while bad mouthed by many actually worked far better than Campy RDs back in the day if they were adjusted properly and well lubricated.

Many TdF owners changed their Simplex derailleurs over to Suntour or Campy. These required a bit of modification to the right rear dropout.

I have 3-4 classic French bikes with Simplex plastic derailleurs and they work adequately, especially with the newer chains which shift much easier.

BTW, cassettes are used on more modern "freehubs" usually with index shifting. Freewheels screw onto the rear hub. Here's a link that better explains the difference:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

jaytheman wrote:
Can I get parts like a new cassette? derailleur?

Freewheels, derailleurs - see above.

jaytheman wrote:
Everything is french threaded?

The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Rolling Eyes

jaytheman wrote:
Does anyone know of a bicycle shop in the SF Bay Area that is good at the restorations

Yes and no... How much do you want to spend?

jaytheman wrote:
or fixed gear conversion.

Yes! Any of the FOOLS hanging around a coffee shop with a bunch of fixies out front can easily trash your classic bike for you.

"Fixed"? How can you fix something that ain't broken! Evil or Very Mad

jaytheman wrote:
I love the bike and the ride is still pretty good after all these years. The mavic wheels are in great shape, the tires new tubulars etc.

A lot of the above depends on what you want to do with your bike. If you want a nice classic to ride on weekends and special occasions a simple cleaning may be enough.

Complete restorations are for wall hanging IMNSHO!

If you are looking for a bike to go out and hammer on all the time, you might consider getting a newer bike with index shifting an so on.

There's nothing I enjoy more when I'm out for a ride in Woodside or Tiburon than watching a bunch of "hammerheads" on plastic big wheels standing around ogling one of my classic Gitanes! Cool

I'm in Oakland. What part of the Bay Area do you live? There are a number of folks around the bay Area who ride classic iron. Contact me via a private message and I can probably help you with a bunch of these issues.

Last edited by verktyg on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Thank you Chas. for keeping it civil regarding the fixed gear conversions.

Jaytheman: We are here to help. If you want a fixed gear, then you should make a fixed gear, and we are obliged to help you, no matter what our personal feelings about how many gears a bike should have...or how "original" it should be kept! As long as you don't talk about anything involving saws!

The term "French threaded" tends to be a bogeyman in bicycle circles. The reality is that it isn't any different...just that you may have to look a bit harder for replacement parts. Your bike probably doesn't need any of the parts that are French threaded replaced, so it shouldn't be an issue for you. Just remember that the fixed cup is NOT reverse threaded!

I would recommend that you take the opportunity to fix up the bike yourself. If you are going to make it into a fixed gear, just do you homework regarding the chain line, or you will most likely suffer (i.e. take a header or involuntarily neuter yourself on the top bar).

Bikes of this vintage are not mechanically complicated. However, everything does have to be done correctly...or else! So my advice is to take the time and have fun with it. Don't pay someone else to essentially play with your toy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
drummer5
This may be boarder line going off topic on this thread, but I'm gonna have to play the Devil's advocate in support of fixed gear conversions.

They can be good, in certain occasions. Now if you have a perfectly working classic geared bike, but the rear der is out of alignment and the chain is rusty, then no a fixed gear conversion is not the best answer.

But in the other cases, for example my recent conversion of my Motobecane, going fixed improvement my enjoyment of riding the bike. To begin with when I got the bike it wasn't original, my dad found it on the side of the road 20 something years ago, got it riding again with other bits found in the trash but it was never quite right. So this winter looms upon me and I need a good winter bike that will be reliable, and I wont feel guilty about riding it throw slushy salty roads. Well the Motobecane wasn't very reliable but being just a 2040 frame(1978 Mirage model) it's nothing to really worry about, so I picked up the bits to convert it to fixed.

I've since corrected the chain tension and threw some toe clips on it.

I finished things up last week and in the past two days have ridden it about 16 miles around the city(my thighs are pretty sore already). Now this is probably a personal opinion but I find riding fixed to be quite enjoyable and feel that the bike has never rode better, if I'm not careful this bike might become my favorite! Just kidding, nothing will beat out my '85 Pro, but that will be reserved for days when the roads aren't covered in salt dust...

In reference to the OP's post I would bring it to a reliable lbs and have them give it the once over, a tune up, and then ride it for a while before you make any definite decisions on if to go fixed, full restoration, or just ride it as it is and enjoy the classic patina.

Whatever you do don't spray bomb it and put bright colored deep Vs on it.
My objections to fixies and fixie riders 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
This is a good time to explain my obsession about fixies.

First off a little history... In the early 70s the fellow who owned our shop bought a whole garage full of (fixed gear) track bikes from a former track racer who had competed in the 1936 Berlin Olympics and was a pro racer up until interest in track racing died out in the late 40s early 50s.

The boss sold off all except 4 of the track bikes. We hung in our display room. We used to ride one of them on occasion. It was a 1936 German made Durkopp that was supposed to have actually been used in the 1936 Olympics. It had wooden sewup rims, no brakes and a 1" pitch chain and sprockets. It weight less than 19 Lbs. with mostly steel components. I rode 1/2 a century on it once in the mid 70s.

We also used to keep at least 1 Gitane Track Standard in stock. When business was slow or we were bored we'd take one of those out for a spin.

Every year between January and February we'd sell off our track bikes (except for the antiques) to racers who used them for early season training.

Come the end of August when the racing season was over (or they were broke), the racers sold them back to us.

The rest of the story has been self censored at the request of the Lismiester! Crying or Very sad Laughing

Last edited by verktyg on Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
jaytheman
Thanks for all of the replies. I will post some pics probably on sat or sunday if it is finally sunny around here.

I have decided to restore it myself. I will first try some cleanup and maybe fix a freewheel or two. I know the freewheels are worn in a pattern the center 3 of the 5 as I rarely ever use the big or small gear.

I bought the bike new and rode it pretty heavily in 73-75 but then moved and rarely ever had it out. I put about 500 miles on it this last summer before I decided that I needed more gears (I'm 64 and out of riding shape).

I got a fixie so that is out of my system and I will get on with getting this thing running.

I suspect the threading on the freewheels is french as I know the pedals are. Basically I seem to remember that everything was this way.

All parts are original except maybe the seat I didn't like the original when I got the bike.

More later. Thanks for the encouragement. I really love the bike.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
jaytheman
Thanks for the very long replies. I love riding a road bike and I am only getting a fixie for some different road training and to get it out of my system.

I wish I was handier with bikes, had more time and knowledge re. fixup I would be sure to get a great old bike up to par again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quote
tjchad
WOW Chas!!!

"Now, my coequal objections to fixies and fixie riders...

One concern, FOOLS who take a classic pro quality bike and trash it, cutting off the derailleur hanger and griding off any brazeons!

The second but more important issue is the stupid way IDIOT fixie rider ride in heavy traffic. ..."

I agree wholeheartedly there with your points. That being said- I would never grind off my der hanger or braze-ons if converting a bike to fixed. With my bike I left everything on as I knew any conversion was temporary- I would prefer an actual fixed gear frame.

Here's my bike as it sits now- with gears but not even close to original...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
That is a great looking bike and will be a blast to ride. How many gears...and did you have to do any "widening" to fit them?

I used to live in Mission Hills...and my brother lives in Cardiff. San Diego is nice. For those of you not from Southern California, the above pictures were taken in the dead of winter (note long shadows...and the bike rider in the background in shorts and a t-shirt = BRRRRRR).

SD Weather 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
The weather in SD is BORING! Cool (sun glasses for sun)

I spent some time in the SD area in the early 60s. I stayed in that vast desolate area between San Clemente and Carlsbad for a while. Wink

When I stepped off of the plane at LAX on New Years Day my first time in California, I was blown away. When I got on the plane back east we were having an ice storm. When I got here it was short sleeve weather. Shocked

Sunshine, blue skies (that was before the smog - before mud too), happy, happy, joy, joy! Highway 101 was 3 lanes from Santa Ana to Torrey Pines!

I did some work down in SD about 10 years ago too. I was working with a company located near MCAS Miramar.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I am sure that Lofter would appreciate some "boring" San Diego weather right about now.

Rode this morning. It was 48 degrees at 5:30am. And I was complaining about the cold.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
scozim
sandranian wrote:
I am sure that Lofter would appreciate some "boring" San Diego weather right about now.

Rode this morning. It was 48 degrees at 5:30am. And I was complaining about the cold.

Lofter and I both would love "boring" weather right now. Freezing rain last night and 28 F - a little too treacherous to have a bike out. Before this week it was ten straight days of 5-15 degrees F (-9 to -15C).

Jay - as you can see there is a wealth of knowledge here and you'll learn a lot so you can fully enjoy riding your Gitane again.

Scott

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
What should I do with my 1972 TDF - restore or fixed gear 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane