gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Need help IDing track frame...
Need help IDing track frame... 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote
fmradio516
Hello, this is my first post here. just picked up my first gitane over the weekend, paid 180 for a complete bike minus wheels and cranks. I just want to see if anyone knows anything about it.

I know it is probably the budget model with the low end steel but I just dont know anything about gitanes in general. The serial number is kind of worn off the bottom bracket shell but I see the number "76" (i think) stamped on random parts of the lugs so maybe that is the year?

Anyone that knows anything about this model, I'd appreciate some info.

Thanks.

[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your purchase.

First, that bike appears to be the entry-level track model, likely called the "School", and ironically enough (see below), was likely manufactured right around 1975/76.

Second, the '76' you see stamped in the lugs are not the year, but rather the angle of the lugs. Gitane didn't bother much with the finish on their bikes, as evidenced by the non-filled, minimally filed lugs, thin clear-coat, and stickers (as opposed to decals under clear). But they were well designed and well built...to go fast!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
fmradio516
Ah I see. Good to know. Thank you.

Yes I was pretty disappointed when i saw the decals were actually just stickers but, no big deal.

I wish I could find a nicer, higher-end gitane track frame in my size (60-61) for cheap.

Anyway, Im just going to ride this hard for a while and use it as a commuter and hopefully it'll treat me well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
fmradio516
also, the previous owner said something about the head tube angle being crazy but im not sure what he meant. Does anyone know?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
All of the Gitane bikes of that era (and before and up until about 2000) used stickers over the finish, including the pro team bicycles. You can get a "high-end" track frameset of the same era, made of complete Reynolds 531 (frame & fork), and it will still have the same finish and same decals, but will likely have some additional chrome on the fork tips and chain stays.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Regarding the head tube angle, he is referring to the angle on a track frame, which is more aggressive than on a standard road frameset. You can really see the difference when you put the front wheel on, as the space between the tire and the down tube will be very narrow, as compared with a standard road bike. This makes for a very responsive, sometimes "twitchy" ride that tends to beat you up a bit more on the road, but is much better from a handling perspective.

Also, the rear wheel will also be closer to the seat tube than a standard road bike of the era. The shortened wheelbase makes a track bike a lot of fun to ride.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:30 am Reply with quote
fmradio516
Thanks for that. I kind of already got the idea of track geometry since this is my third track bike. I just thought he meant something specific about the Gitane head tube.

The bike seems to be a cm too small. Which is what I expected since I ride a 61 c-c and this frame is a 60 c-t. Anyone selling a larger one?? Laughing

One thing Im kind of worried about is the seatpost. Can someone confirm that a 25.4 is supposed to go into this frame? That is what the previous owner gave me but when I was taking it out, metal shavings were coming off the seatpost which left the seatpost kind of damaged. I greased it up and threw it back in but it is really tough to get in. Is this the right seatpost or should i be looking for a 25.2 or 25.3 if they exist?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:03 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The smaller posts sound too small to me. You sure the clamp isn't out of round?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quote
fmradio516
not sure. the post goes in easy for the first inch or two then it gets tough so i dont think its the clamp. i guess it could be the seat post because i doubt it would be the seat tube itself.

also, my 1 inch cinelli stem is a killer getting into the head tube even with grease. (yes i un did the bolt a lot and made sure the wedge was way loose).

all this work for a bike that doesnt fit me right ha!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
vanhelmont
fmradio516 wrote:
not sure. the post goes in easy for the first inch or two then it gets tough so i dont think its the clamp. i guess it could be the seat post because i doubt it would be the seat tube itself.

also, my 1 inch cinelli stem is a killer getting into the head tube even with grease. (yes i un did the bolt a lot and made sure the wedge was way loose).

Welcome to the wonderful world of French bikes. You probably need a French stem, which is 22.0 mm, instead of 7/8", which is 22.2 mm, the more common British size.

The late Sheldon Brown wrote about parts for French bikes:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:32 am Reply with quote
fmradio516
vanhelmont wrote:
fmradio516 wrote:

Welcome to the wonderful world of French bikes. You probably need a French stem, which is 22.0 mm, instead of 7/8", which is 22.2 mm, the more common British size.

The late Sheldon Brown wrote about parts for French bikes:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html

oh wow good to know. thanks! I appreciate the info. I tried two cinelli stems last night with no luck. I need to find a 120mm stem that'll work with this.
Need help IDing track frame... 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane