gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » advice on 'restoration' or 'resto-mod'
advice on 'restoration' or 'resto-mod' 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
augdog
yuo may remember i was the fellow that saved a 1968 apache standard from the thrift store scrap pile'

http://gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1729

it is still in rough shape, it's been a busy holiday season and new year at work but i have given this some thought. and i think i have a plan forming, but i need some guidance from some more experienced members of this community.

ok, take a little trip through time with me..
it's 1968, a father and son go to the LBS and get junior his first new bike, and what a bike it is, racy,red...it's all so exciting!no more hand-me-down cast off from big brother!

many miles and a few years pass, the new bike is not so new but still loved, junior has grown and gotten faster, the bike needs some upgrading and attention. he upgrades to better components and hardware and keeps going. more miles and love...

i want to build that bike, the first major upgrade and rebuild. but i need to know what a mid seventies mid to high end component group would look like, what do i need to look for when shopping? what is special about these bikes that i need to be careful of, thread sizes, cables, please help me out with any advice, i'm new to bicycle mechanics but i am very handy with my cars and motorcycles, i know i can do this with a bit of trial and error.

help me get started, point me down the right path.

thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:23 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
High End: Campagnolo Nuovo Record

Great stuff, pretty much bullet-proof...and beautiful to boot. Look for it on Ebay. Just type in "Nuovo Record"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Of course...I'll let the others talk about the mid-range components, which might be more "correct" for that build.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
augdog
well the nuovo record stuff is all over the map $ wise, but it's all great looking stuff!

how can i tell the age? it would be akward if i had mis-matched stuff from different eras...or maybe not, that might be part of the point now that i think about it...

i like this idea more and more, keep the sugestions comming!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
Gtane
augdog,

As a thought, components from the era would be fine and by era I would suggest within a 10 year time frame around the date the machine was built. Say 2 years prior and 8 after.

I did as many others did at the time, I upgraded components as I required or wished and could afford. Things were just not as they are today where one would add or swap a complete groupset. Changes were made component by component and one might have had, for example; Huret, Shimano, Campagnolo, SR, Mafac, Suntour and Weinmann, a range of brands on the bike to refine the machine to one's own liking and budget. Many secondhand items were circulated and passed on by others but the frame usually remained as did the wheels. So mismatched era components are fine, even better I would say.

All bicycles were a continual work in progress and would often be upgraded when preferred components were released. Period correct regards a specific year is nice and all very well when returning to a time gone by but in reality it was never like that in my world and many others too. Professional race machines, where many period correct ideas regards collectors and restorers stem from, naturally had the very best components to do the job and of course many want those components for their bicycles today hence price and availability.

Do have look in the forum Owner Gallery for further ideas and direction.

The best guides to components are catalogues - manufacturer and mail order.

Enjoy the restoration.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
augdog
Gtane,

Thanks! this is the kind of perspective i was hoping for!

i was comming arround to this kind of idea. mix and match components as my mood suits.
the problem i have is a lack of a frame of refrence, what was or still is cool for whatever reason,

"that rear derailuer was a one year special."
"this shifter was the first to do whatever"

using all one group gave me that intangible instinct of whats 'cool'

what catalogs are you talking about?
where can i find them?

oddly enough i am a catalog junkie! in that reguard i am very much an 'analog' guy, there is nothing like browsing through a catalog looking at the pictures, reading the descriptions, imagining where i can use that cool whatever item that i probably dont need. god i love it! thats one thing you cant do easily on the web. i have found that on-line shopping is good when you know what you want. but i don't browse well on-line.

---rant over---

keep the coments comming! thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
augdog
re: catalogs,

after re-reading your post again, do you mean the likes of Performance bike and Nashbar? how will they help with vintage components?
what am i missing?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote
Gtane
augdog,

These links will help in the search:

http://velobase.com/Resource_Tools/CatalogScans.aspx

http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/

http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/index.html

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=38&sid=3275fbccb67e0fa1762bd27cbd022519

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=2175

http://www.velo-pages.com

augdog wrote:
e: catalogs,

after re-reading your post again, do you mean the likes of Performance bike and Nashbar? how will they help with vintage components?
what am i missing?

Regards catalogues, you could well be right with those names, I don't have the knowledge of US publications so am not in a position to know. If the names were around when your machine was built then they could well be correct.

Ideally, what you're looking for are the regular annual mail order catalogues that resellers would have typically sent out to customers around the date of your machine, or within that era. They're mini encyclopedias and list every component of the time. However, it's often best to find a mix of catalogues from different resellers in order to get the range as not all resellers had agreements to sell all third party brands, as happens today.

Tim

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane