gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » FOR SALE Gitane grand sport de luxe tour de france
FOR SALE Gitane grand sport de luxe tour de france 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
CBR600F1
i'm looking to sell this bike. if i don't ill hack some parts from salvaged bikes and use it for road racing. the front derailer gear is missing and the front wheel is a little warped. about 1/8 of an inch but i didn't notice when i rode it and the brakes didn't rub. I had to use a a torch to get the quick releases off because i thought i would break it if i didn't since the penetrating oil didn't work. i think the quick releases are toast but they are holding the wheels on securely.

i tried to find the vin number but it wasn't under the bike. anyone know were it is. - it has a sticker that says its custom

there are spots of rust where the paint has been chipped and some rust on the spokes

you can email me at anil_zx3@hotmail.com

i'll probably have to list this on ebay.

Last edited by CBR600F1 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:39 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
CBR600F1
i have a feeling if i start to use this for commuting i will destroy it since i am a harsh rider and the roads are brutal around here. my 2009 giant fcr 3 has taken a beating at 2700 kilometers in summer and winter riding. i have one inner tube which has been patched 12 times from pinch flats from pot holes. i figure this bike will be better off in gentler hands since i have a history of destroying bikes.
Gitane Gran Sport 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Greetings and welcome to the forum.

I looks like you have an early 70s Gitane Gran Sport model with Huret Alvit derailleurs. Later production models used "mostly" Simplex Prestige derailleurs and occasionally SunTour components.

The Gran Sport was Gitane's entry level model during the Bike Boom of the early 70s. They weighed about 28 Lbs.

In response to two things you mentioned:

1. In those days almost all bikes like this were described as "10 Speed Racing Bikes"

2. During the Gitane Foil Decal era from 1968 -1974 almost all Gitanes had the little red and black "Custom Made" stickers on the seat tube.

True racing bikes from that era weighed 21-23 Lbs. They had frames made of alloy steel tubes that weighed 1 1/2 to 3 lbs. less than the carbon steel frame on the Gran Sport models

These bikes also had mostly aluminum alloy components with light weight wheels that used tubular "sewup" tires.

That said, the Gran Sport was a great around town bike that was suitable for occasional longer rides. The biggest deterrent was that "ass hatchet" plastic torture device sometimes referred to a saddle. Almost all lower priced bikes from that era came with these! Shocked

There are 2 issues that you might encounter if you were to use this bike for everyday transportation:

1. They used cheap spokes that had a tendency to break with strong riders.

2. The chrome plated steel rims don't stop at all when wet!

With a tuneup, new brake blocks, a more modern saddle plus new spokes, alloy rims and better tires, this bike would make the great commuter it was designed to be.

Before investing much money into this bike, make sure that the frame is the proper size for you.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
CBR600F1
my inseam is 82 cm and I am 5'7 the top tube looks to be about 57cm long and the tube about 84 cm off the ground. if i ride it i have the seat all the way down. i'm able to ride it. i'm not sure if it is the right size for me.

28 pounds. so my fcr 3 is lighter by 8 pounds them.
i guess i can roughen up the chrome with sandpaper or get different rims all together.

i got a spare saddle. ill see if it fits.

i'm probably better off just selling it to someone who wants to make a fixie.
i already have a perfect commuter still under warranty

Stand over height 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
CBR600F1,

You should have a safe amount of room between the top tube and your personal region in case you ever have to do a quick dismount. When coming off the seat quickly your knees will flex a little too.

We used to use a minimum 1" safety factor as a rule of thumb.

Here in the States, bikes like yours bring anywhere from $25 - $100 USD but...

Fixie folks have been known to pay as much as $200 for a bike like that. Look on eBay to see how sellers list potential fixie bikes.

Good luck...

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:23 am Reply with quote
CBR600F1
i have a friend who needs a bike. if i don't get a decent amount for it ill donate it to him. for now ill probably just get a mountain bike derailer for the front to make the chain go around the big crank and get any gear for it.
can anyone suggest a gas motor assisted engine kit to instal 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:32 am Reply with quote
CBR600F1
CBR600F1 wrote:
i have a friend who needs a bike. if i don't get a decent amount for it ill donate it to him. for now ill probably just get a mountain bike derailer for the front to make the chain go around the big crank and get any gear for it.

i'm thinking about putting an engine on the giante. which kits are decent in canada.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Please don't put an engine on the bike. First of all, it is a bike, not a motorcycle. Second of all, it would be redundant. Third, it may wreck the bike. But this is an entry level machine and probably not the most valuable bike on the block. Most importantly, it is YOURS, so you are, of course, free to do what you want. I just would like to see the bikes saved for the next generation of riders. My personal, ever so humble, opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
CBR600F1
sandranian wrote:
Please don't put an engine on the bike. First of all, it is a bike, not a motorcycle. Second of all, it would be redundant. Third, it may wreck the bike. But this is an entry level machine and probably not the most valuable bike on the block. Most importantly, it is YOURS, so you are, of course, free to do what you want. I just would like to see the bikes saved for the next generation of riders. My personal, ever so humble, opinion.

sorry. i was just going to install one on it until i swapped it to the fcr3. the fcr3 is under warranty so i cant do anything to it until the warranty is over.

i have 4 different bikes and a motorcycle so i don't have to put an engine on it. theres just more room in the gitane than any other bike.

ill try and find a Toronto fixie forum and see if anyone is interested in it there.

i got to start a project for a motorized bicycle push tailer but a engine kit looks easier since they come pre packaged.

i still have a 93 giant yukon
2008 giant fcr 3
2005 norco havoc probably will get the trailer and slicks if i work out a better braking system for the bike.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
CBR600F1
sandranian wrote:

also i don't know if the next generation will be very interested in a bike they didn't see growing up. something only has value if theres a demand for it. I don't think the vintage bike market has much going for it down the road. what i do know is if i went to go to buy a new bike with a frame aggressive like this it would set me back about a grand for a new one. thats one reason i got a hybrid. it saved me 500 dollars.

its just like Harley Davidson. their market has changed to rich professionals who barley ride. when the baby boomer start to disappear harley is going to have to rethink their product. Buell is a start for them.

saving this bike for a generation who may or may not want this bike doesn't make sense. what makes sense is getting a use out of it. thats what it was built for. i've never been a poser. my bikes look like shit. my fcr is probably covered in salt and i just power washed it like 3 weeks ago.

the Cbr 600 f1 hasn't been cleaned in months. ill go a whole season without washing the bike. it deters the thieves. and its less work for me since it will get dirty the next day anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:44 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I agree with you, but only to a point. For example, the "fixie" crowd values old bikes...some of which were built before their parents were born. Quality will always have some value, and bicycles of this era will be around long after the $1000 bicycles of today are relegated to the junk pile. Most bikes built today are disposable, which is not true of the older machines. Again, just my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
CBR600F1
i agree that the big box department store bikes are disposable. but when you pay 2000 for a bike oppose to 200 you get a bike that is less disposable. the reason i bought the giant fcr 3 for 500 instead of going to walmart for a 159.99 special is because i didn't want a disposable bike. you get what you pay for.

another thing is they are always trying to make things lighter. when you do this you make things weaker. i'm sure the engineers of today are not smarter than the engineers of 30 years ago. they are simply given a task and they have to complete that task by whatever means possible whether that be make it cheaper, lighter or, faster. sometimes there is a sacrifice. most people wont want to use the same bike for 10 years anyway so why design something to last that long.
A lot of people buy a bike and use it 4 time and let it sit in the garage for 5 years till it rusts apart. even old bike will need maintenance . anything that is a moving part is not indestructible. after a while it will wear out.
how do we know that the giantess that survived today are just the ones that sat around and didn't get much use. if you don't ride the bike it wont break down.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
CBR600F1
i`ve decided to give the bike away to a friend.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Dubuque75
It looks like my questino may be a ittel late, but just in case
I have 1972 Gitane Garnd Tour Delux and need a replacement bottom bracket. Do you have one of these?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:24 am Reply with quote
CBR600F1
Dubuque75 wrote:
It looks like my questino may be a ittel late, but just in case
I have 1972 Gitane Garnd Tour Delux and need a replacement bottom bracket. Do you have one of these?

if i rip the bottom bracket out of the bike i would be destroying the bike i have making it useless.
FOR SALE Gitane grand sport de luxe tour de france 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane