gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » old bike 1973 or 1974 !
old bike 1973 or 1974 ! 
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote
Derry

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hello,

Can someone help me to get some info about this bike ? I think he is from 1973 or 1974.

Thanks

Derry

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote
Derry
No information ?

Thanks
Derry
Possibly a '74 
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Derry, G'day and welcome to the forum. I might suggest this is a '74 model Gitane. The decal design (especially the head tube design style). This might be slightly different than the components suggested by the catalog images on site from the French catalog. Possibly a Tour de L'avenir, or more likely the intro racing model Interclub that has been modified.

Your bike seems to have an updated or substituted Narrow flange hubset and better quality Mavic tubular rims (VS the high flange and typical Mavic tubular rimset w/o the ferrule that were on most Interclubs) It's possible that the stem and handlebars were substituted or updated. If this model was built for shipment to USA, the Sugino crankset and Simplex derailleurs probably makes sense given the shortage and substitution of various component brands. I can't quite tell from the photo the saddle has the appearance and shape of the cruel plastic saddles Sad that were shipped with the Interclub and TdeF models---but the image seems to suggest some rivets at the back of the saddle. So if you have a leather saddle good for you and good for your sit bones Very Happy

This bike seems to be in excellent repair and finish for it's 35+ years. It should really sparkle with some polish and elbow grease. If the Mafac 1/2 brake hoods are damaged ---they occasionally come up on E-bay. The White brake hoods however are in demand and they vary in degree of past usage to sometimes almost NOS but, often pricey due to demand Sad

This bikes frame geometry will give you an excellent ride and with the tubular wheelset should have quick acceleration and handling. Often w/o too much additional expense a 2nd clincher wheelset can be picked up on Ebay. I prefer the light-weight and handling -ride comfort and acceleration of my sew up wheelsets. However I have a set of clincher wheelsets for several of my Gitanes that I switch back and forth. The clinchers do make the repair of a flat less costly and less time consuming. But Sew Ups are Nice !!!! Very Happy

Enjoy and investigate this site. Lots of informative posts, lots of comraderie. Again Welcome, enjoy your Vintage Ride.

I Like Steel !!!!

C.A.
Salina, Ks.

'70 TdeF
'71 Interclub (my first Gitane - late spring '71)
'72 Interclub
'72 TdeF
'72-'73 ??? Super Corsa (in the wings)
'73 TdeF
'86 Performance
'87 Victoire

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Derry
Hello,

The bike is bought in Belgium. I'm from Belgium. I'm a cycling toerist. I would like te ride the l' eroica !
http://www.eroica-ciclismo.it/english/home.asp
It's my fathers bike ! And i wolud like to make him shine !

Greetings

Derry
Mid 1974 European model 
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I think that C.A. covered most of it.

The bike shop sticker on the down tube pretty much verifying the Euro model pedigree.

The components can be a "red herring" because they could have been switched out. For example the frame has Simplex dropouts, 16mm seat stays and the "fish tail" cutouts where the rear stays and fork blade join the dropouts. These features were only found on the better model Gitanes however it has the bottom line Simplex Prestige derailleurs and Mafac Racer brakes.

In those days before "Image is everything" a lot of European bikes were sold with good frames and decent wheels. the rest of the components were not that important.

Last edited by verktyg on Sat May 08, 2010 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Part 2 - Mid 1974 model 
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I've been having problems posting this response so I split it in 2

Gitane used Sugino Mighty Competition cranks probably from late 1972 until mid 1974. There was probably a delivery problem getting Stronglight 93 cranks (Peugeot probably had more pull with Stronglight). After the bike boom ended in 1974 Stronglight cranks became readily available again.

My guess is that this is a mid 1974 Tour de France or similar model bike that has the 3 main tubes made of Reynolds 531 tubing and the Reynolds decal came off.

n 1974 Gitane switched from the old foil decals to the new style yellow or green plastic film decals like on this bike. They also changed from Simplex dropouts to Huret honeycomb dropouts on all of their performance models. These allowed the use of Huret, Simplex and Campy style rear derailleurs.

I've seen pictures of a few "1974" Gitanes with honeycomb rear dropouts and foil decals plus I have a 1974 foil decal Tour de France with an all Reynolds frame and all of the old pre 1974 components.

I think that what we consider as 1974 Gitanes were actually 1975 models made in mid 1974. There was probably some overlap at the factory and they used up old decals and components as they went along. A centime saved is a centime earned!

Can you post pictures of the head tube showing the headset plus close up pictures of the hubs please.

In the US market large flange or high flange hubs were still popular on production bikes until ~1976-77. A Euro model might have come with small flange hubs and the lower level Simplex derailleurs.

Are you riding the bike with the seat that low? If so, the frame may be too big for you. You should be able to comfortably stand over the top tube.

If you plan on doing ant amount of riding on that bike, get a good saddle and throw that "French Revenge" in the dust bin!

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Derry
I would like to put a brooks seat on it !I would also want to have handlebar tape of Brooks.
I know a lot about the modern bikes but not so much about the vintage.
Buy the way i'm living in the nr 1 cycling country , Belgium !

Regards

Derry

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
Derry
Does someone know the value of this bike ?
Bike values 
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Derry wrote:
Does someone know the value of this bike ?

Bike values are sometimes hard to predict. The frame looks to be in nice condition.

About the only way short of paint removal to determine if it has the 3 main tubes made of Reynolds 531 tubing is to measure the seatpost. It should be 26.4mm in diameter.

A frame made with at least some Reynolds tubing will usually be worth more money.

Next thing, what kind of market is there in Belgium for older French bikes?

In France these kinds of bikes are frequently available and sell for a small amount of money.

The Simplex Prestige derailleurs, Mafac Racer brakes and plastic saddle make the bike look like a lower model than it is.

You would need to find someone who knows about these bikes and can appreciate it for what it is.

In Belgium, I'd guess that it's worth maybe €25-100. In the US maybe $100-300 to a collector. With better components maybe more.

If the bike fits you, then ride it and keep it for sentimental value. If it doesn't fit then maybe you can find someone who is willing to make a trade.

Good luck...

Long live Sir Eddy!

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro